PDA

View Full Version : Hans Rosendahl, Göteborg to Ylistaro?

KellyK
26-06-05, 19:45
An ancestor of mine, Hans Rosendahl, first appears in Ylistaro in Ruska, Toppala By, Ylistaro, in 1791, when he marries a widow, Magdalena Henriksdotter Hallberg. The HFL records note him moving in from Göteborg, which I take to mean the Göteborg in Sweden.

At Ruska farm, Hans is a dräng. The family moved a few years later to Lapua, where Hans was inhyses. By 1814 (I have some records to find in the interim), Hans and family are living at Oravais masugn, where he died in 1829, with the note Rf.m. before his name.

My questions: am I correct in connecting the Göteborg noted in the HFL records with the Swedish city, or is there another possibility? Second, if he did move from Sweden, why would a man move from a large city in Sweden to a small village in Finland? Was he a soldier returning to his home? Thoughts on possibilities for the circumstances surrounding this move are welcome.

Thanks!
Kelly

phgg
27-06-05, 01:14
Hi
I cant help you much, but...
When people where moving from one parrish to another they where written as movin to and movin from. So it might be that he hade been in Sweden but not that he was born there.

Sorry that I cant help you more.

Kaj Granlund
27-06-05, 07:26
This is just a guess...
In those times the swedish king wanted to extend the iron factories to Finland as there were plenty of woods here for the energy. He had a lot of people to start up factories (one of them Kimo bruk and later Oravais masugn). And then a lot of workers also came from the part that we call Seden today, but at that time was the same country. He also wanted all finland settled. I'm not sure about Ylistaro but wouldn't be surprised if they had some attempts there too.
On the other hand love can make you do anything... ;)
There is no other Göteborg.
The "R.fm." I can check with the secretary at the parish in Oravais. Oravais masugn later was turned into a cloth mill. and in 1960-ies rather famous.

Kaj Granlund
30-06-05, 08:28
The secretary called me today. The meanin g of that rtf is "rote fattig mannen" rote (cannot explain that) fattig (=poor) mannen (man). He was poor and had to get his food from different houses. (if I explain this very simple)

KellyK
01-07-05, 03:59
Kaj and Pia,
Tack så mycket for your helpful answers and research! Perhaps after more work with available records, I will someday understand more about why Hans moved to Ylistaro.
Thank you! Also, please thank the secretary at Oravais parish for me. Little by little... :-)
Kelly

phgg
01-07-05, 23:14
Just som small notes about ROTE:
I have not much information about this.

ROTE is a gettering of ex. farms.
In the countyrside they also had their on soliders/KNEKT wich they provided with some food from all of the farms.
The solider was provided from the military, and I think that it wasn´t a choice made by the farms

In ex. Gothenburg a ROTE can be a block.
In the church books they offen wrote ex 1:st ROTE and then the adress. If the ROTE in the city was the same as in the countryside isn´t anything that I have knowledge about.

I doen´t know why this system was started.

June Pelo
02-07-05, 02:01
Here's one explanation of the military rote system:

http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/slsoldat_eng.htm

June

granskare
02-07-05, 02:18
I can recall member books organized by "rote" which if memory serves correctly were geographically delineated.

Rote west, or maybe it was west rote, etc.
Be sure to translate "west" quickly into Swedish for the full effect:)

Chuck

Kaj Granlund
02-07-05, 13:30
I was hoping June had some link to explain the rote system - and she did. It was too difficult to explain in just some words. My father worked as a gardner at the factory in Oravais during 1950-60. So the surroudings are very familiar.