PDA

View Full Version : Parents of Elias Eliasson b. 10/08/1818 in Karstula

Razor
12-07-05, 16:53
Hi!

I'm searching for the parents of Elias Eliasson born 10/08/1818 in Karstula (reference: Kivijärvi parish). According to HISKI he later took the name Voimäki. Apparently from the name of the farm in the village Kalavastingi where he and his family lived. I have failed to locate any record of his birth in HISKI.

Elias married Stina Caisa Johansdotter Leppänen, born 03/03/1816 in Raadickala in Kivijärvi. The marriage took place in Soini 03/19/1842. They got 9 children from 1842 to 1859.

Regards
Lars Jonsson

kpaavola
13-07-05, 17:26
Hi Lars,
From HisKi, in Kartsula, this appears:

Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child
3.10.1818 4.10.1818 Heinämäki Elias Mattsson Greta Matts dr. Elias

Is it possible to view the original records (or copy of) to determine if this is the correct Elias? Searching all of HisKi for Oct births, there weren't many. This seemed to be the closest match.

Razor
13-07-05, 17:37
Hi Kevin Paavola and thank you for answering!

I saw this entry in HISKI and it could be the Elias I am looking for. I do not have the copy of the original record. I got the information from Kivijärvi parish after asking them in a letter. They state that he was born 10/08/1818. But it could be a typo perhaps?

Regards
Lars

kpaavola
13-07-05, 22:59
Hi Lars,
Where are you located? Are you in the US, Sweden, Finland?

It could be that HisKi is incorrect with the date or even possibly the parish you got the information from. If a record is a few days off, I don't pay much attention to it but usually will try to verify it by looking at the records.

We have libraries here (through the Mormon church) that allow us to order films of the original records. If you're in Finland, maybe a visit to the Archives would help or I believe some of the parishes even have copies of the old books. I don't know what's available in Sweden. That's why I asked where you are located.

Razor
14-07-05, 11:22
I am located in Sweden. I can order films of the parish records from Finland.

Regards
Lars