PDA

View Full Version : databases available at FinnGrandFest for family researchers:

syrene
14-07-05, 23:18
Hi,
SFHS will make two laptops available with CD's and internet access at Marquette's FinnGrandFest 2005, August 11-14, to persons with questions about family roots in Swedish-speaking Finland. Thanks to FINLANDER members like Hasse Nygård, Chuck Mäki, Jeannette Williams, June Pelo, and more, various databases will be accessible during the Fest at SFHS' Tori/Torg exhibit. A PowerPoint slide show of postcards mailed between 1880-1930 picturing some of the 54 communities where Swedish Finn persons settled will run hourly as well.

AND don't miss the breakfast on Saturday, August 13. RSVP Finlander member Midge Waters. More info on SFHS homepage Events calendar.

Welcome!
Syrene Forsman

syrene
15-07-05, 00:19
Iron Mountain is one of the communities where Swedish Finns settled. One informative book is the centennial celebration book "Born From Iron", 1979. However, it doesn't identify which names belonged to Swedish Finns. Do any Finlander members know which Iron Mountain men were Swedish Finns? For example, the logging company owner Andrew Björkman?
Thanks,
Syrene

jeanette
15-07-05, 11:09
Hej Syrene,
Could this be the man you mentioned?
Surname: BJORKMAN
Given Name: ANDREW
Birthplace: SWEDEN
County: DICKINSON Locality: 4-WD IRON MTN
T624-Roll: 644 Part: 2 Page: 165 Subpage: B
State: MI

Jeanette

syrene
16-07-05, 02:02
I'll bet it is! So I can't cite him in the exhibit.

There were probably Swedish Finns as well as Swedes in his logging camps. Of course, I was hoping he was from Finland as well.
Thanks!
Syrene