PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - Nisper

conwakr
15-09-05, 03:31
Hello, my name is Krista Nisper Conway. I live in Michigan. My family is starting to put together and record my father's family history. My father is Kenneth Nisper and his father is John Nisper. His mother is Lydia Nissas (Nisper). They were Swede-Finns who moved to Michigan where my father was born. My grandfather had one brother Oskar and two sisters, Hilda and Selma. My father believes Oskar and Selma were never married. We believe Selma's married name was Nykomb. We have some history pieced together and have some contact with relatives in Finland. I'm very much looking forward to putting this geneology together and very happy to have found this site.

Shirley King
16-09-05, 16:43
Welcome to the forum, Krista. A former Michigander myself, I know there is a wealth of information out there for you!
Just ask, and you shall recieve!
Shirley King

Jim Bailey
17-09-05, 19:14
Welcome, Krista. I too am a former Michigander ... born and raised mostly in Ann Arbor, but also in Escanaba in the U.P. in the 1940s. Am now exiled in a pleasant retirement to the exciting cornfields of central Indiana.

My mother's parents were both Swede-Finns. My grandmother came from a line of Pettils, Nylunds, and Granholms in Pedersöre and Larsmo, and she came to Ashland, WI, via Metropolitan, MI, in 1892. My grandfather came from a line of Sandströms and Winstens in southern Finland (Tenala, Bromarf, Hangö, and Åbo) and came to Ashland via Cedarville, MI, where his sister (married to a Winberg) had settled.

Glad to have you aboard.

M. Waters
18-09-05, 16:39
Hi, Krista....You mentioned the name Nissas, and I have visited with and write to my 5th cousin Walther Nissas on Replot. Might he be one of your family? I am also from Michigan, and have family in Dollar Bay, Crystal Falls, Ironwood, etc.
Midge, in Negaunee MI.

Terri
31-03-06, 21:54
Hi,
Just want to introduce myself and say I also live in Montana but was rasied in the U.P. of Michigan. My grandparents all came from Finland but I am told I have some Swedish background. My family lived in Fitchburg, Mass; Ely, MN; and Marquette and Alger Counties in MI. Some surnames in the family are Haribakka, Heribacka, Nelson, Starkman, Niemi, Wisti, Anderson.

Terri

Karen Norwillo
31-03-06, 22:09
Welcome, Krista
I, too, am a transplanted Yooper from Crystal Falls, now in PA. I was fortunate to visit Finland in 2004 and connected with many cousins. My Finnish relatives were from Esse, Vörå, Rekipeldo, Oravais, Kuolajärvi (Salla), Kemijärvi, Rovaniemi and many other locations. You'll find as you dig deeper that most of us here on Finlander are related, albeit, distantly. Welcome.
Karen