PDA

View Full Version : Seeking information on: JAKOB REINHOLD LYGDMAN, b. October28, 1880 in Oravais.

Hasse
21-09-03, 18:49
He traveled to the US three times: in 1910 to Rockford, IL, where Mr. Salem Siffren from Oravais had a business; in 1913 to Fitchburg, MA; and in 1923 or 1924, he left for a third time and was never heard from again. We would like to know where he lived and where he is buried. We have just one lead. Oskar Kulla returned to Finland in the 1950s. On January 19, 1924, Oskar traveled to Vancouver, B.C. where he purchased a violin from Lygdman which he brought with him when he moved back to Finland. He sold the violin to our summer neighbor in Oravais who in turn, gifted it to my wife. Did Jakob Reinhold Lygdman and Oskar Kulla meet in Vancouver? We would appreciate any information.
Stefan Gustafsson Niklasvägen 6 65610 Korsholm, Finland

granskare
12-01-04, 02:04
When I first tried for Lygdman at the immigrationinstitute, I did not find but one person so I just typed in "ly" and found a host of people and the following just appeared:

http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/migration/pl/asp/detail_e.asp?snimi=_QYH0QZXOV

This Jacob Reinhold LYDMAN could be the same man. He is age 19 in 1899 and he's listed for Ruotsi aka Sweden:)

http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/migration/ml/asp/detail_e.asp?snimi=_QYH0QP2UD

Jacob Lydman is a passenger in 1913 going to Fitchburg, MA. He is 32 now. And your man went to Fitchburg also in the same year so it must be him.

I also found him at Ellis Island on May 28, 1910

Trying for a Canadian or Washington current link, I looked for telephone numbers, etc here:
http://www.canada411.com/english/pdetails.asp?lastname=Lydman&firstname=T&area=403&exch=257&phone=9496&citytown=Calgary&province=SEARCH+ALL
I found this person in Canada but doing a similar phone search in WA, I found no Lydman ppl.

Lydman, T
Calgary, AB
T2Z 2B9
(403) 257-9496

Maybe a relative of Jacob?

Chuck

lasare2
25-01-07, 17:05
Does anyone our there know whether Stephan Gustafson
Korsholm, has e-mail capability?

Lasare2

Denise
25-01-07, 20:51
Hi,
I think this is your Jakob. I'll see what else I can find for you.

Denise

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Jakob Lydman
Arrival Date: 7 May 1913
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Franconia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Henrik Lydman
Last Residence: United States of America
Birthplace: Oravaio, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 193

Denise
25-01-07, 21:05
Hi,
Here is page #2 of the passenger record for your Jakob.

Denise

Denise
25-01-07, 21:18
Hi,
These are possibly his brother's living in Massachusetts.

Denise

Denise
25-01-07, 22:30
Hi,
Here are the deaths Social Security has for the Lygdman surname.

Denise

Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence
(City,County,State)

Esther Lygdman 1 Jul 1910 10 Sep 1993 Seattle, King, Washington
Lois H. Lygdman 28 Oct 1914 18 Jun 2005 Seattle, King, Washington
Margaret Lygdman 25 Jan 1904 Jul 1972 West Brookfield, Worcester, Massachusetts
Victor Lygdman 1 Aug 1902 Jul 1967 Seattle, King, Washington
Walter Lygdman 22 Aug 1905 Aug 1981 West Brookfield, Worcester, Massachusetts

Denise
25-01-07, 23:08
Hi,
Here is a possible email for a contact for Lygdman relatives.

Denise
CATTRALL GENEALOGY
Entries: 3024 Updated: Sat Sep 30 07:21:04 2000 Contact: Ian Cattrall

cattrall*iinet.netau

I'm unsure of the last few letters of this email address as on Ancestry it is not very legible.

ID: I506
Name: Living LYGDMAN
Sex: M

Marriage 1 Selma Sofia BACK b: 23 MAR 1897 in Erkkila, Oravais, Finland

Denise
26-01-07, 03:32
Hi,
Here is a passenger record of a Selma Lygdman, was hoping it would provide more information on Jakob. She is arriving in New York.

Denise

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Selma Lygdman
Arrival Date: 18 Sep 1956
Port of Departure: Gothenburg
Ship Name: Kungsholm
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Finland
Line: 22
Microfilm Serial: t715
Microfilm Roll: t715_8781
Birth Location: Finland
Page Number: 62

Source Citation: Year: 1956; Microfilm serial: t715; Microfilm roll: t715_8781; Line: 22; .

Denise
26-01-07, 03:38
Hi,
Found this too. Maybe related.

Denise

lasare2
27-01-07, 21:07
Hi Denise,

You appear to have struck a "mother lode" with regard to Jakob
Reinhold Lygdman. He is not a "blood relative" but once having
stopped at our home in New Jersey in the 1920's, shown his seat
"at the table", occupied a comfortable bed for a night or two, and
enjoyed the company of other Oravais folk, his name was entered
in the "Pending Membership" file and the rest is history.. Another
family member recalls a man in a three piece gray suit, average height,
soft spoken, clean shaven, Mother was his age and had moved to Oravais
from Monå and did not hesitate to open the door wide.

thanks again ( will summer ever come to Prescott?)

Bill Wright Lasare2*aol.com

Kerstin Larsson
18-02-07, 23:17
Hi Denise,
This is my maternal grand-father that you have found. At that time he went to live in Fitchburg, MA. In 1918 he was living in Baltimore, MD and in 1920 he was living in Rockford, IL. I am trying to find out where he was living between 1924 and 1936, when he is said to have died. After his last visit in Scandinavian in 1923-24 he left his family and was never heard of again.
I have for many years tried to locate where he might have been living, where he died and where he was buried. I hope to find the answers.

Kerstin

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
Name: Jakob Lydman
Arrival Date: 7 May 1913
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Ethnic Background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship Name: Franconia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Henrik Lydman
Last Residence: United States of America
Birthplace: Oravaio, Finland
Microfilm Roll Number: 193[/QUOTE]

Denise
19-02-07, 04:34
Hi,
I have tried every variation of the surname Lygdman, and haven't been able to come up with a match as of yet. The 12 year time span of when he could have died, and the various States (including Canada) he travelled and/or lived, leaves a big big world to search. Jakob seems to have been well traveled. Are there old letters, pictures, etc. that may provide clues? I also have Canadian records (which are limited) available on Ancestry.com, and came up with nothing. The only Federal census that would be available to search would be 1930 (as you stated he died between 1924 and 1936; what leads you to believe he died between those years?), and he didn't turn up there. Some States had their own census in between, at five years, such as 1895, 1905, etc. but without knowing where to search, it would be very time consuming to go State by State to see if there was a census other than the 1930 Federal Census (and he may have died before that one). I believe Ancestry.com has a FREE trial that you can join, going on right now. I'm sorry I have been unable to come up with more for you at this time. I'm only as good as the available online records that I have at my disposal.

Sincerely,
Best Regards,
Denise

Kerstin Larsson
19-02-07, 23:36
Hi again,

Thank you Denise for all your efforts to try to help. I am very grateful to you.
I know it is tricky to try to find my grand-father. I have tried for years. He was a travelling man.
People used to say that he went to the Vancouver area, BC Canada and that he died there. I am not so sure about that. I tend to believe that he was living in the north east of the US. Maybe in Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey or the New York area like Brooklyn. His second eldest brother was living in Worcester, MA and another brother had like himself been living in Fitchburg, MA. JR was living in Baltimore, MD when he signed up for WW1.
Later on in the 20's or 30's he was visiting in NJ. He can not have been living too far away. That is as far as I have got right now.
Lydman is the original family name but later on many family members switched to Lygdman. I search for both names.

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely
Kerstin

Denise
20-02-07, 15:58
Hi,
I'll continue to search the northeast of the U.S. for him, and ran through the 1930 Census last night and this morning in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, and Maryland. Nothing turned up so far. I'll keep in touch if I find anything, and if you find any further clues, let me know.

Sincerely,
Denise

lasare2
20-02-07, 17:14
Denise,

Many many thanks for all your searching. I think he might have
died before getting into the Social Security system wich became
operational in 1935. Other Lygdmanns are listed in the SSDI but
not Jakob.

thanks again

Bill

clydman
14-04-07, 01:38
I am Christopher Lydman. I have information that Jacob was related to my father Ralph. Please contact me at clydman*netzero.com

lasare2
14-04-07, 03:56
Greetings Christopher,

Several of us have been collecting information about JRL and are trying
find out just what happened to him and where he might have gone after
1936, during which time he had visited our home here in the United States
and then seems to have disappeared. Hoping you might have some infor-
mation to share with us. Feel free to write me c/o Lasare2*aol.com

Regards Bill Wright

Karen Norwillo
14-04-07, 21:16
Looking at all the immigration records, 28 May 1910 to Metropolitan, MI.
17 May 1913 to Fitchburg, MA. Says in US 1910-1912 in Amasa, MI. In June 1924 he is on the Canada-US Border Crossings, landed in Montreal, Quebec, going to Worcester, MA.He is called Reynold Jacob Lydman here. All say he is from Oravais, Finland and has a wife Signe Lydman. WWI Draft Reg has a Jacob Reano Lydman born 28 Sep 1880, Finland, carpenter, which was the occupation given on immigration, brother John Lydman in Worcester. This was in Baltimore, MD. DOB off by a month.

Kerstin Larsson
15-04-07, 23:18
Looking at all the immigration records, 28 May 1910 to Metropolitan, MI.
17 May 1913 to Fitchburg, MA. Says in US 1910-1912 in Amasa, MI. In June 1924 he is on the Canada-US Border Crossings, landed in Montreal, Quebec, going to Worcester, MA.He is called Reynold Jacob Lydman here. All say he is from Oravais, Finland and has a wife Signe Lydman. WWI Draft Reg has a Jacob Reano Lydman born 28 Sep 1880, Finland, carpenter, which was the occupation given on immigration, brother John Lydman in Worcester. This was in Baltimore, MD. DOB off by a month.

Dear Karen,
Thank you for this information that you have given. This is one step forward. I have for many years tried to find out what happened to Jacob who was my maternal grand-father. My last trace of him was his landing document from Halifax, NS in May 1924 and a note made by one of his brothers that he died in the US in 1936. Now we know that he went to Worcester, MA in 1924. His second eldest brother John Alfred was living in Worsester with his family. We also know that he visited with people in New Jersey some time between 1924 and 1936. I have tried to find out where and when he died and where he was buried. So far no luck but I keep on hunting.

Kerstin Larsson, Jacob's grand daughter

syrene
01-12-07, 22:50
Victor Lygdman, Jr listed his father as Victor Lygdman, born in Paljak, Oravais in 1901, and uncle, Edvin Johan Lygdman born ? in his membership application to SFHS in 1992. He didn't renew his membership after 1994. Don and I visited him in an apartment for low income seniors once, and his memory seemd to be going. I just looked him up on White Pages and his address and phone number are still listed at the same address as his membership a dozen years ago. He's not in the Social Security Death Index so he's probably still residing there. You might try writing him.

Victor Lygdman
home

1700 17th Ave

Seattle, WA 98122-2753

Phone (206) 322-5967

Regards, Syrene

June Pelo
02-12-07, 17:38
I recently saw the Lygdman name in SoB#33, Tab. 13:
Hugo August Hellund, b. 1901, married 1935 Svea Maria Eriksdotter Lygdman, b. 11 Oct 1907 (no indication where). The couple was childless. I noticed several of Hugo's relatives went to America.

June

Kerstin Larsson
03-12-07, 23:28
I am so happy for every little detail that I may come across. I am still stuck on June 1924 in my search for my maternal grandfather Jacob Reinhold Lydman/Lygdman. In June 1924 he went to Worcester, MA where his second eldest brother was living. I also know that he some time after that was visiting with friends in New Jersey. He may also have been living somewhere in New Jersey, but where do I commence my search. If he was living in a boarding-house for example or if he was a lodger, where can I search for his name? Obviously he called himself Reynold Jacob Lydman in 1924 when going to Massachusetts. If anybody comes across anything on him I would be very grateful to get to know the result. I still hope to find out when and where he died and where he was buried.

Paul Carlson
10-07-19, 02:48
Hello Everyone,
I know it's been a long time, and I found this thread in doing my own genealogy research. A search result for Jakob Reinhold Lygdman came up, and now that aI am registered here, I can respond.
My grandmother's family, from Kuckus near Oravais, immigrated almost entirely to upper peninsula Michigan, right around 1900.

My great great grandfather Karl "Charles" Winqvist moved to Michigan along with all of his children, my wife and I visited the grave of his wife Maria Bergman Winqvist in Oravais. Winqvist was a "late in coming" family name, perhapsd in respond to the Russian mandate that each family "modernize" and take on one official surname.

Karl's daughter Signe Winqvist married Jakob Reinhold Lygdman and they raised four children in Michigan: Helme Alice, Arthur William, Mary Johanna, and Ede Severus.

I'm in California because both older sons (Karl Johan and Gustaf Reinhold) perished, under the harsh conditions there, within a year of arriving. My widowed great-grandmother Maria headed from Kuckus to Berkeley, where her sister already lived. (I'm still looking for more information, the records shown via Ancestry dot com are rather muddled.)

Again, sorry this is so late in coming, and I hope it's helpful.
Sincerely, Paul Carlson
Hayward, California