PDA

View Full Version : Portin

June Pelo
15-10-05, 22:23
I have a request for help as follows:

"Anders Johansson Portin (my grandfather) was born Nov. 30, 1853 in Pedersore Lillsandsund. Anders married Anna Sofia Blomquist from Nykarlaby, in 1881. They had two children when they immigrated to America in June 1889. The children were Axel
Andreas and my father Johan Felix..

I would like to find out if posible, the name of the ship that Anders served on and the name of the passenger ship that Sofia and her two sons came on. Anders came to New York on the merchant ship before Sofia came with the two boys. I believe Sofia came through Castle Garden in New York because Ellis Island wasn't open yet."

I didn't find any record of this family in Castle Garden. Does anyone have any suggestions where he can find this information?

June

granskare
15-10-05, 22:56
June,
This is somewhat confusing or maybe my grey cells are broken.
"...when they immigrated to America in June 1889..."
and then it is said that Anders came sooner and apparently was a seaman so I would say they don't know Anders emigration date.
I did castlegarden and they are not there so perhaps Karen can use her ancestry links to check the other ports.
If they traveled by way of Sweden, I can check emibas at Swenson. If they don't appear on that list, I can check the earlier microfilms for Göteborg and Malmö.
Chuck
:confused:

Karen Norwillo
16-10-05, 04:37
I found the Portin family on the 1900 and 1910 census in Rosemeade, Ransom, ND. On both census it says he came to US in 1888 and she in 1889. She uses Sofia, Anders is Andrew, Axel, Johan uses Felix and there are 2 daughters, Edith and Esther born ND. No luck finding anything on Immigration. Karen

christina
16-10-05, 09:48
June
I maid a search in "sjömanshusens matriklar och förteckningar" ( only in finish) and found Anders in Jakobstads sjömanshus.

Haku merimieshuoneiden henkilöluetteloista:
Portin, Anders: Ajankohta: 1882; Syntynyt: 1853 Pedersö; Lähde: Pietarsaaren merimieshuone Bb11:185.

Portin, Anders: Ajankohta: 1882; Sisäänkirjoitettu: ei; Syntynyt: 1853 Pedersö; Lähde: Pietarsaaren merimieshuone Bb15:97.

I have no possibility to search in these "matriklar" myself, live far away from Jakobstad . (You can find this arciv in Jakobstads museum).

Christina Nordback

jeanette
16-10-05, 10:47
Hi June,
At the Ransom County, ND genweb site I found a listing for Andrew Portin Country Russia Dated Mar 07, 1898 2nd papers Vol F-11 Page 064
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ndransom/
Scroll down to Naturalization Records
The State Archives and Historical Research Library, SHSND, Bismarck, can provide copies of naturalization records for all North Dakota counties. A billing of $5.00 per person requested will be sent with the photocopies.
Perhaps the naturalization records will have port/s of entry for
the family?

The 1900 and 1910 census images can be viewed by clicking on
Ransom county archives.
Jeanette

Hasse
16-10-05, 12:14
Johan Felix is in Talko (http://www.finlander.eget.net/angraf/getperson.php?personID=I906&tree=SPortin) and Sune who probably will see this message later today is the relative who has submitted the genealogy to Talko. Maybe he has more information?

sune
16-10-05, 12:42
Anders Johansson Portin was my great granduncle. I'm sorry i haven't the information you ask for, June, I would have suggested, though, that you ask a certain person in Seattle, but i gather from your question that this is the same person who is looking for the information in the first place, because I believe that only one of John Felix' children is still alive.

The circumstanses under which Anders and his brother Gustav (my great grandfather) emigrated are unknown but subject to unsupported family legend. And as I have told earlier: Gustav just vanished. Nobody seems to know what happened to him.

Sune

June Pelo
16-10-05, 18:35
Thank you all for your responses. I'll pass them along. I don't know anything at all about the family - someone found my webpage and asked me to help. I'm sure he'll appreciate all this information because he wasn't holding out much hope of finding anything. He said Anders was a seaman who came earlier aboard a merchant ship, and then his wife and children came over on a passenger ship in June 1889. The family was in North Dakota before moving to Washington.

Sune, have you had contact with Vern? Do you want his e-mail address?

June

June Pelo
16-10-05, 18:41
Chuck,

I'm wondering if the wife and children came through Sweden. I couldn't find their names anywhere - no passenger or passport records at the Institute of Migration, either. They were Anna Sofia Blomquist Portin. The two children were Axel Andreas and Johan Felix. Anders Portin died ca 1921.

June

granskare
16-10-05, 19:45
My mother's dad's naturalization papers were issued in 1904 in upper Michigan. Other than his renunciation of allegiance to the Czar of Russia (thus beginning Nicholas' downfall), there is really no information about ports and the like.
The attached image tells the tale.
Chuck

Karen Norwillo
16-10-05, 22:38
Some naturalization records do have the port, date and ship on them. I think it depends on the era. My husband's grandparents came in the early 1900's and there is a wealth of info on their papers. My grandfather who came from Sweden at the turn of the century also had much info on his declaration of intent and final papers. I doubt that much will be on those from the late 1880's. Karen

Karen Norwillo
16-10-05, 23:37
This may not be new info to whomever is requesting help, but I'll post it just in case. 1930 census for Portland, Mutnomah, OR has Sophie Portin, age 70, widow, married at 21, Finland, mother-in-law. In home of Campbell, Harry C, 40, born MI, wholesale grocer.Wife Edith, 37, ND, Harriet, 8, OR and Gordon, 6, OR.
In Pioneer, Clark, WA is Felix and his wife Ellen C, children..Elsie V, Glenn F, Henry E, Morris I, Vernon H and Dwight O. Axel and wife Mayme are in Los Angeles. He is 43, says US 1890, garage mechanic. Also, Vernon and Morris are still listed in the White Pages online. Not sure how current they are. Found Harry E Portin born 5 May 1918 and died 24 Jun 2000 in Seattle. Glen P Portin 21 Sep 1915, died 19 Dec 1988 in Portland. Gordon Portin Campbell, born 25 Jul 1923 OR, died 27 Nov 1978 in Marin, CA. Karen

June Pelo
17-10-05, 02:39
Karen,

Thanks - I think those names mean something and I'll pass them on. Sorry my inbox was full - I just emptied it again..

June

granskare
17-10-05, 03:21
The naturalizations that were done after 1906 did have a lot of information. September 27, 1906 appears to be the date from which the newer form started in usage.
Chuck

jeanette
17-10-05, 10:01
Would 1920's or 1930's Death certificates for Washington State have the immigration details on them?

Jeanette

sune
17-10-05, 10:09
Originally posted by June Pelo
Sune, have you had contact with Vern? Do you want his e-mail address?

Yes, June I have Vern's e-mail address and have been in contact with him. In fact I assumed that he was behind your request, but I oviously jumped to a false conclusion. If he doesn't know the details behind his grandfathers emigration, then official records are (if there are any) the only way to get information.

Is it ceratain that Anders came via New York? His brother emigrated the same year and port of entry is unknown. Could they have entered through Canada?

Sune

sune
17-10-05, 20:07
June

i tried to send you a private message, but got the answer that your mailbox is full. I will try again later.

Sune

sune
18-10-05, 09:45
Hi June

This seems to be a case for Hasse. I tried again to send you the message with the same result. And the e-mail function seems to be disabled by admin.

The information wasn't very useful anyway. I tried to send it as a private message instead of posting it, because the text is an extract from a private e-mail from Vern.

Sune

granskare
18-10-05, 20:19
bottom line is that I found nothing.

They are not in emihamn or on the very new emibas.

As to Rosemeade of Ransom County ND, that has to be a township and not a town. I just took a guess and checked the in the county just south of Ransom, Gwinner is the town and it's close to the county line. The lutheran church film was quite short and I did not find Portin people listed. No surprise because only about 35% of emigrants joined a church. Perhaps if we knew where Rosemeade township (my assumption that it's a townshi) was located, we might have another church to check out.
Chuck

June Pelo
18-10-05, 21:29
Sune,

I'm sorry about this mailbox thing. I tried to move the messages to a separate folder because I want to save them, but I'm not allowed to do that. So I've asked Hasse how I can save my inbox mail.

Chuck,

Thanks for checking. I don't know anything about the family, but will send your message on.

June

sune
18-10-05, 21:32
The family lived att first in New York and moved to A homestead in Delamere N.D. (abt. 1900) where they lived for five years. Then they moved to Ridgefield W.A. where they stayed until 1945.

All this according to Anders' grandson Vern in Seattle.

Anders died february 15th 1921 in Ridgefield.

June Pelo
18-10-05, 21:36
Thanks, Sune. I'll pass it along.

June

sune
18-10-05, 21:37
Originally posted by June Pelo
Sune,

… how I can save my inbox mail.

June,

Hasse has probably a better method, but why not "copy paste" the contents of the messages into a word processor and then save the wp file wherever you have enough space?

Sune

granskare
18-10-05, 22:37
Delamere is located in about the exact center of Ransom County so there are no Swedish churches reasonable close to that town. None in the county.

It took quite a while to get the info. First I tried google and they have several pages of paid adverts such as real estate, lawyers, blah blah blah. I finally clicked on the google map and I got a map without the town shown on the map. So that particular google map was useless. Then I went to mapquest and after a bit of a hassle with them I did get the map showing Delamere in the middle of the county. There has got to be a better search engine than google - they have gone the way of profit profit profit.
OK, had to give it off my chest, sorry.

Chuck