PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Napue

June Pelo
29-10-05, 20:21
The following query appeared on Finngen. Perhaps someone knows more about this:

The Lahia Old Cemetery index, ( http://www.genealogia.fi/haudat/indexe.htm )
item #12, gives a list of names of those men who succumbed in the battle of Napue on the 19th of February, 1714. Could someone tell me if these men (some 120 in number) were all buried in a common plot or were some of them buried in family plots? Or is this list simply a memorial to those men from Laihia who perished in that dreadful battle? I am personally interested in this bit of history because a very large percentage of the surnames/farm names appearing on the list also show up in my genealogy. Thanks to anyone who can give me an answer to this question. If this question has been discussed before in the many postings on this tragic event, I apologize for
my failure to uncover it.

In the days leading up to the memorial day services of November 11th, I do think of the fallen men and women of the many world wars, including the long ago wars in Finland.

Max Pertti Hahto
<maxhahto*telus.net>

June

June Pelo
29-10-05, 22:42
Someone on Finngen posted this reply:

We know very well the descriptions of Mattias Reinius of what then happened.

Some weeks after that battle Feb. 19. Year 1714 during Mars month live familymembers of deceased men, mainly wives with help of their nearly grown up children fetched bodies fallen down in snowy battle field ground and dragged them with slides to home and buried them quickly at Laihia cemetery. They had their priest Reinius left home (almost all clergymen of South Bothnian parishes were gone refugees at different places around eastern parts of Sweden, mainly in Norbotten and V?sterbotten), who was badly injuried by russians, but Mattias was very hard trying man: moarning wives dragged their wounded priest into the cemetery because he couldn't walk and there sitting on slide he blessed those deceased men.

There was a great hurry: ravens and rats began eat bodies begginning from faces. So it was very awfull to see beloved ones in that state. And after very cold winter became very warm spring. So they must greatly hurry for that they could recognize bodies yet. (I have over thirty ancestors among them, how many You have Max)

Mattias Reinius wrote at battle fallen normally to the burial book of Laihia parish, but also apart to his own cahiers and sent that information lately after russian invasion to the bishop's office (for economical purposes of church, bishop
Herman Witter had launched query for parishes to count and list all people and property they missed following Napue battle and russian invasion)

On behalf of the activity of Mattias Reinius Laihia had most accurate information of that. Other parishes had less or more missing or unclear information to give, because priests must gather it after many years.

Matti Lund

June