PDA

View Full Version : Maki family probably in MN

Eriksson
02-11-05, 16:00
I'm hoping that someone could find descendants of my greatgrandfather's half sister. Her family is totally missing in USA. This far I have got lots of great help from people of this forum and I hope that this query won't be exception... Even though this time the question may be much more difficult than before.

Her name was Susanna Matilda Pihlajamaki, b. July 9th 1869 in Alavus, Finland. I think Matilda was her name in use. She moved to USA in November-December 1887. She died in October 1943, probably somewhere in Minnesota. Her husband's last name was Maki - unfortunately I don't know the first name of him and that is maybe the biggest problem. They have had kids, maybe four or five.

I'm very thankful for all information. Especially the names of the husband and children - even better if I got their ages too.

Thanks!

Marko

Hasse
02-11-05, 23:12
Maki, Mackie, Makie, Hill - this could be a difficult one...

ancestry.com gives one candidate family

1920 (http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=6061&path=Minnesota.Cass.Walden.93.6&rc=&zp=75)

Mat and Mathilda Hill, children: Arthur, Walter, Benjamin, Milton.

Matilda Hill
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Birthplace: Finland
Race: White
Home in 1920: Walden, Cass, Minnesota
Sex: Female
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Year of immigration: 1888

More candidates probably can be found... Could be a tricky search...

Eriksson
02-11-05, 23:46
Tricky one indeed, there's no doubt about that.

As far as I know the family used the name Maki instead of Hill (English version of Maki...) I'm thinking hardly from where I could find extra clues to this query, but unfortunately I guess no one of my living relatives can help. Knowing the place they lived would help radically or at least the name of husband.

I forgot to mention that the four children are three boys and one girl. According to an old photo I have of them. And that's all I have...

Marko

Originally posted by Hasse
Maki, Mackie, Makie, Hill - this could be a difficult one...

ancestry.com gives one candidate family

1920 (http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=6061&path=Minnesota.Cass.Walden.93.6&rc=&zp=75)

Mat and Mathilda Hill, children: Arthur, Walter, Benjamin, Milton.

Matilda Hill
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Birthplace: Finland
Race: White
Home in 1920: Walden, Cass, Minnesota
Sex: Female
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Year of immigration: 1888

More candidates probably can be found... Could be a tricky search...

Eriksson
03-11-05, 00:00
I founded one Sanna Maki from Minnesota: http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnstloui/192549m2.htm There is no mention about her year of birth and she has deceased in 1947, but it has happened in October so I started to wonder that if this could be same person anyway. If I just have wrong information about the year of death - maybe it's 1947, not 1943? Well, who knows, of course this can be totally different person, probably so...

Marko

Merja
03-11-05, 20:13
Hi,

does the photo you have give any clues? Name of photographer or similar. Perhaps you could scan the photo and attach it to your message?

Merja
looking for Erick Syrjamaki, emigrated to somewhere in North America

granskare
05-11-05, 18:21
I have a UP cousin who changed his spelling to Mackey. I have also seen the name Koski changed up there to Koskey (Koskey Funeral Home in Negaunee).

Tough indeed and Finnish church records are not really centrally available. Those films at Hancock are technically inferior to what Swenson has here in Rock Island. I have seen them and the archivist had told me that before I got there.

Must add some humor: I have a sweatshirt bought at the Yoopers Tourist Trap in Ishpeming that reads: Upper Peninsula, Land of Ten Thousand Makis
And Minnesota has got to be as difficult:(

Good luck,
Chuck Maki

syrene
05-11-05, 19:50
Hi,
I searched SSDI under Pihl but found nothing in Minnesota. I chose that part of the name because my brother-in-law's sister married a Finn named Pihl, lived in WA state.

Syrene

Karen Norwillo
06-11-05, 00:44
I found a Johanna Matilda Maki in the MN Nat. Index 1854-1957, Reel 46, Code 280, Vol 43, Pg 55, Virginia, MN
There is a Mrs. Matilda Maki who died 6 Oct 1935 in St Louis, MN. I found several Matilda, Susanna and Sanna Makis on various census in MN, but none with the immigration year that matches even close.There were also several Pihlajamaki in MN including a Matilda Talvitie Pihlajamaki on the MN immigration list. No year given. I checked Castle Garden, but only Pihlajamaki was an Anna , wrong year. Most of the Pihlajamaki came thru Boston in the early years.

Eriksson
06-11-05, 23:59
Today I got a copy of an old letter, sent by Susanna Matilda's daughter in 1946 from Seattle, Washington.

She writes that her mother died three years before (in October 1943). Here is said that the place where Susanna Matilda died is "Liit" or something like that - it's written in Finnish ("Kaikki menimmä hautajaisiin ja olimma Liitis kolme viikua") like it's pronounced. I can't get any town/city names to my head, is it Leed or something like that? Unfortunately, there is no mention to what state this is...

Also, very sad thing is that daghter doesn't tell her own name - sign is just "Mrs. John Maki", Seattle 8, Wash. USA". Daughter tells that they moved from Montana to Seattle five years before, in 1941 I think.

So, I still don't know Susanna Matilda's family name was it really Maki, Mackey or what or where she lived...

Anyway thanks for all who have responded to my query this far!

sune
07-11-05, 09:05
"Liitis" could be "Leeds" in Finglish.

Sune

Karen Norwillo
07-11-05, 22:06
This may be "wishful thinking" but I found a Matilda Maki on the 1930 Census in Lead, Lawrence, SD. She is 59, widowed, Finn, says US 1896, has sons Edward 29, single, born MI and Arvid, 22, single, MI living with her. Also, John W Makie, 32, married, MI and wife Marie, 31, MI. There is also a Walter Rokala, 10, born SD, listed as a boarder. If John is her son, don't know why the sudden spelling change. Thought this might be the Mrs. John Maki who wrote that letter. Karen

Eriksson
08-11-05, 11:04
Karen, this really might be what I'm looking for!

On the letter the daughter writes that her older brother stayed in "Liitis" after her their mother died ("three years ago"). This means, he lived there before. Also, younger brother lived in same place too until mother died, then he moved to his sister's home in Seattle. In other words, here are two brothers who really might be Lawrence and Edward... Their ages seem to fit the picture I have.

About John W Maki and his wife, I believe Marie is Susanna Matilda's daughter - Maki is very common name and John just had same family name as his wife. So Marie may be the daughter ("Mrs. John Maki") who sent the letter I have. Her age also fits greatly: I believed that she is oldest of the children on the family photo.

Thank you very much for this information! Are there any chances to look at older cencus' and check for any further information, like the name of husband? Family also consisted one more son but apparently he deceased as a young boy.

Marko

This may be "wishful thinking" but I found a Matilda Maki on the 1930 Census in Lead, Lawrence, SD. She is 59, widowed, Finn, says US 1896, has sons Edward 29, single, born MI and Arvid, 22, single, MI living with her. Also, John W Makie, 32, married, MI and wife Marie, 31, MI. There is also a Walter Rokala, 10, born SD, listed as a boarder. If John is her son, don't know why the sudden spelling change. Thought this might be the Mrs. John Maki who wrote that letter. Karen [/QUOTE]

Eriksson
08-11-05, 11:36
One mistake... I meant that the names of the boys were Edward and Arvid, not Lawrence and Edward. Lawrence was the name of the place.

Anyway, I started to think that perhaps the third boy on the family photo, about 7 years old, is this Walter. This would mean that Susanna Matilda had only three kids and the fourth one is that boarder.

M

Karen Norwillo
08-11-05, 21:25
I will check earlier census and see what I can find. Karen

Karen Norwillo
08-11-05, 22:06
Marko, Here's the 1910 and 1920 Census for the family.
1910 Calumet, Houghton, MI
Maki, Henry, 40, married once, 12 yrs. Finn, US 1880, miner, copper.
Maki, Mathild (Matilda), 39, married once, 12 yrs, US 1897, 5 children-4 living.
Maki, Lempi, 11, MI
Maki, Edward, 9, MI
Maki, Eino, 5, MI
Maki, Arvid, 3, MI

1920 Lead, Lawrence, SD. Milliken St
Maki, Henry, 49, US 1901 (this is probably when he was naturalized), Finn, miner, gold mine
Tilda, 49, US prior to 1900, Finn
Lempi, 21, MI, laundress
Edward, 19, MI, student high school
Arvid, 13, MI
Rocala, Walter, still strangely listed as a boarder, age 10/12, SD
Looks like Eino died between 1910-1920
There are two other Maki and Mackie families on the same page. One has a son John, but he's only 5.
Maybe Lempi was Lempi Marie??? I'll try the 1900 cesus for the family in MI.
Karen

Eriksson
08-11-05, 23:25
Extremely great work Karen! This is getting more and more interesting. I'm really lucky as you are so kind and bother to search for information of my relatives. This clears up so much. I'll wait what interesting you find from 1900 census!

Was there in census of 1930's any mentions about (Lempi) Maries children? I suppose there wasn't any? Also, do you or someone else have an idea that from where I could find exact birth & decease dates of these people?

Marko

Karen Norwillo
09-11-05, 03:15
There is a Matilda Maki died 16 May 1943 Lawrence County, SD on the SD Death Index. No children listed 1930 for Marie and John.
SSDI shows Arvid Maki, last residence WA, born 6 Mar 1907 and died Jul 1964. SS issued SD.
John Maki, Seattle, King, WA, born 11 Jan 1898 and died 29 Jul 1979. SS: MT
Marie L Maki, Seattle, King, WA, born 2 Dec 1898 and died 14 Jun 1979. The "L" is probably Lempi???
So far no luck with Edward or Henry Maki or child Eino. He probably died in MI. I checked the SD Death Index and he's not listed. No luck with Walter Rokala/Rockala.
Karen

Eriksson
09-11-05, 10:22
Thanks once again. Great work indeed. This is more that I ever expected! I thought this Maki case would be impossible mission as I had so poor hints... gladly I was wrong.

Any suggestions from where I could find information about did Marie and John have children? I believe that Marie Lempi was only child of Matilda who would have had family. On her letter Marie writes that her brothers (older Edward and younger Arvid) have health-related problems. In 1946 Edward lived in home in Leed and Arvid was with Marie and John. At least Arvid was single, I believe Edward was too.

Summa summarum, if Marie had no children, this Maki family probably doesn't exist anymore...

Marko

Alicia Keto
28-01-08, 04:56
I have a UP cousin who changed his spelling to Mackey. I have also seen the name Koski changed up there to Koskey (Koskey Funeral Home in Negaunee).

Tough indeed and Finnish church records are not really centrally available. Those films at Hancock are technically inferior to what Swenson has here in Rock Island. I have seen them and the archivist had told me that before I got there.

Must add some humor: I have a sweatshirt bought at the Yoopers Tourist Trap in Ishpeming that reads: Upper Peninsula, Land of Ten Thousand Makis
And Minnesota has got to be as difficult:(

Good luck,
Chuck Maki
Hello, I am Alicia Maria Keto-Earles,
Looking for information on Rusa, Rose Maki, born 12/31 1881.
She married Tumous Skinnar-Keto. both from finland. they moved to USA.
is this the same family? many Keto's are from Rock Island, Illinois.
houseofearles*mchsi.com
http://home.mchsi.com/~houseofearles

Karen Norwillo
28-01-08, 16:24
Here is your Rose and Thomas Keto in 1920 and 1930 in Rock Island, IL.
I'll keep looking. Karen

Karen Norwillo
28-01-08, 16:43
Here's Thomas Keto's WWI Draft Registration. Misspelled Kato. Also his 1905 arrival fom Finland. Note spelling of surname. I found Leo Keto in the SSDI.
Leo Keto 31 Jan 1912 died Feb 1984 in IL. Last residence Rock Island, IL. You'll see from Thomas' WWI card, date of birth 22 Oct 1884. Karen

granskare
28-01-08, 17:44
I remember that East Moline had a coach of a major high school sport who was named Ernie Kivisto. DeKalb Illinois, not far up the road, has a bunch of Finns and my educational org that I worked for had a Koski who was from DeKalb and another Finn, I don't know her origins, whose name has escaped my poor memory.

Karen Norwillo
28-01-08, 17:47
Alicia,
There is a family tree on Ancestry with the family of Thomas Ivari Keto and Ruusa Maki-Keto. It lists info on Leo and Katri Keto. There is a contact for one of their descendants who is from DeWitt, Iowa who also says she's researching for cousins in Rock Island. I see by your website you have extensive family info already. Karen

Alicia Keto
29-01-08, 03:59
Alicia,
There is a family tree on Ancestry with the family of Thomas Ivari Keto and Ruusa Maki-Keto. It lists info on Leo and Katri Keto. There is a contact for one of their descendants who is from DeWitt, Iowa who also says she's researching for cousins in Rock Island. I see by your website you have extensive family info already. Karen
Thanks Karen,
yes, the one in Dewitt, Iowa is me! we are in the process of moving back home to illinois, for my husbands job. thanks for looking, I am not registered at ancestry, someone told me they just make up name and are expensive, is that true?do you really find what you need in an easy to navigate way?
let me know and mabie I can talk hubby into it,lol Alicia Keto-Earles

Alicia Keto
29-01-08, 04:01
I remember that East Moline had a coach of a major high school sport who was named Ernie Kivisto. DeKalb Illinois, not far up the road, has a bunch of Finns and my educational org that I worked for had a Koski who was from DeKalb and another Finn, I don't know her origins, whose name has escaped my poor memory.
Many of my family members are teachers, doctors, bankers ect... I would not be suprised if he was one too. what was the name of the school? If I call them they may tell me his last know address? thanks Alicia

Alicia Keto
29-01-08, 04:03
Here's Thomas Keto's WWI Draft Registration. Misspelled Kato. Also his 1905 arrival fom Finland. Note spelling of surname. I found Leo Keto in the SSDI.
Leo Keto 31 Jan 1912 died Feb 1984 in IL. Last residence Rock Island, IL. You'll see from Thomas' WWI card, date of birth 22 Oct 1884. Karen
MANY THANKS KAREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will print these and put in my scrapbook! :)
Alicia Keto-Earles

Karen Norwillo
29-01-08, 15:34
Alicia,
I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for years. It has been a wonderful tool in my research as most members here can attest. I have never heard or known them to "make up" names. You'll not always find what you search for by the correct spelling, but that's usually because someone has either misread a name when transcribing or the name was enumerated incorrectly to begin with. Especially in census reports. The taker wrote what they heard and as many immigrants didn't speak good English, they didn't spell their name for them. I have found countless information about my family that I wouldn't have had it not been available on this site. Yes, it's costly. but there are several plans available. Some you'll have no need of. I started out with basics and added as I needed. If there's anything you want, let me know and I'll search for it.Karen

Alicia Keto
30-01-08, 02:30
Alicia,
I have been a subscriber to Ancestry for years. It has been a wonderful tool in my research as most members here can attest. I have never heard or known them to "make up" names. You'll not always find what you search for by the correct spelling, but that's usually because someone has either misread a name when transcribing or the name was enumerated incorrectly to begin with. Especially in census reports. The taker wrote what they heard and as many immigrants didn't speak good English, they didn't spell their name for them. I have found countless information about my family that I wouldn't have had it not been available on this site. Yes, it's costly. but there are several plans available. Some you'll have no need of. I started out with basics and added as I needed. If there's anything you want, let me know and I'll search for it.Karen
Thanks so much for the refferal to the other site! Alicia Keto-Earles

goldie
27-10-09, 22:34
There use to be alot of Maki's around Iron River, WI. I have provided a link for a cemetery in Iron River, WI maybe it can help. http://www.cheqnet.net/~vkucera/ircem/index.htm
I am related to Agnes (great aunt) who was married to Emil Maki. These 2 had ties to MI.

syrene
28-10-09, 00:08
The Order of Runeberg Yearbook 1967 Lists John Maki as born in Ironwood MI and his wife Marie Maki as born in Calumet MI. I never remember them having children, but my dad hunted elk with John, and Marie was financial secretary for years and years at the lodge in Seattle. So if there were children around, I didn't see them.
No add'l data available. Hope this helps
Syrene