PDA

View Full Version : who am I - Rikki Nyman's presentation

Rikki
01-09-03, 23:55
Wanted to test this out and congratulate Hasse on a nice job.

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon and have been interested in my genealogy for many years, though only seriously bitten by the bug in the last six months.

My father's family is 100% Swedish Finn. He was raised in Astoria. My grandfather was a boat builder, born in Helsinki, and an only child. His mother was from Pedersöre and (with June's help) connected with the Caino-Torp line. His father is unknown. My grandfather may have been illegitimate, so I have a big gap that may not close. My grandmother's family was from Tornio. All of them spoke Finnish and Swedish interchangably. Like someone else mentioned, I always thought my family was Swedish, too, even though they lived in Finn Town, which is what the western end of Astoria used to be called.

My mother's family is American since Plymouth Rock. It's been different, but no less interesting, finding out about my English, German, Dutch, and Welsh ancestry as they moved across the US during the last 400 years.

I love the puzzle of genealogy, but the byproduct I wasn't expecting was the new insights I've gained from examining my family's history more closely. I've learned so much more about American and Finnish history, and the influences on my family line as they ultimately extend to me. And you meet the nicest people doing genealogy!

Hasse
02-09-03, 00:06
Originally posted by Rikki
Wanted to test this out and congratulate Hasse on a nice job.

Thanks Rikki!

My humble wish is that the forum would be of use. When the format is a "forum" via a webbrowser nobody should get their email flooded with perhaps unwanted emails anymore. Everybody can choose for themselves.

Keep on discussing, girls!

Hasse

Gita Wiklund
05-09-03, 23:55
Hi Rikki,

You wrote:
"I love the puzzle of genealogy, but the byproduct I wasn't expecting was the new insights I've gained from examining my family's history more closely."
"I've learned so much more about American and Finnish history, and the influences on my family line as they ultimately extend to me. And you meet the nicest people doing genealogy!"

Exactly my experience (except the part of american history, Swedish history instead). I never thought I´d be able to find out more than names and dates but thanks to the newspapers and other data being scanned and searchable via the internet I found out so much more than I ever expected. My g grandfather wrote some books and essays that guided me in learning about the finnish history 1809 and forwards and other interesting things . I found references to these books and essays on the web. I´m just overwhelmed about all the things I have found out, and isn´t it great that people that share this interest can so easily meet on the internet and share knowledge?

Gita

Rikki
06-09-03, 22:03
Gita --

From participating on this list and through the Web (boy! life has changed in the last 10 years!) I've "talked" with all kinds of people like you, and June, and many, many more who have generously offered their insights, and even done research for me.

My grandfather wrote stuff down, but unfortunately my dad wasn't too good about preserving it. It's a shame...I know there is a lot I'll never know. But the history and the research enriches my understanding so much. It must be incredible to connect with your grandfather though his writing. Like having a sense of the whole person, their thoughts and ideas.

On my American side, I have a letter from my great-great grandfather written to his wife during the Civil War. He was at what he described as the "death of the Confederacy". He tells what he had to do to get to Appomattox to rejoin his unit and the cheering up and down the line when the news that Lee had surrendered reached the men. It wasn't dry, disconnected history...it was like I was part of the human continuum and my gggrandfather had touched me directly. I'm sure you understand, though someone not doing this would probably think I had a screw loose. ;-)

I love the questions that come up. For each answer, six new questions! This really gets addictive. I work at home and it's a challenge to stay focused on work and not head off to HisKi to figure out another branch of the tree!

R.

Gita Wiklund
06-09-03, 23:55
Rikki,

The way you describe it is exactly how I feel. All of it...:)