31-12-05, 20:31
This is quite good:

5 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 c. milk
6 tbsp flour
1/2 c. oleo

Beat eggs slightly; add next 4 ingredients and mix well. Melt oleo in 9" x 13" pan; allow some to remain in pan so it can be well-greased. Pour rest of oleo into batter and mix. Heat pan in oven a few minutes before pouring in the batter. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Don't let it get too dark. Batter will puff up as it bakes and tastes like baked custard. Cut into serving pieces and serve with syrup, honey, canned fruit or berries. Or serve with bacon or sausage.

June

SusanR
01-06-06, 18:20
What is oleo??

With my cousin coming in July, I am trying to figure out what to feed him and his Mom makes him pancakes every weekend, so I thought I would try this.

Thanks for all your great recipes on here.

Susan

Karen Norwillo
01-06-06, 19:22
Susan'
For those of us old enough to remember, margarine was originally called oleomargarine or oleo for short. I remember when it came in plastic bags and had a dye pellet that had to be broken and kneaded or massaged through the white margarine to make it yellow. The dairy industry was afraid the substitute for their butter would be mistaken as "the real thing" so it was white to begin with. This was my job as a kid, to color the oleo.
Karen

June Pelo
01-06-06, 19:22
Susan,

oleomargarine - or oleo. Many people use it as a substitute for butter. If you can't find oleo, then use butter.

June

SusanR
01-06-06, 19:35
Thanks.

I remember hearing about that, but I can't remember if I ever saw it, cause I am old.

:D

Susan