PDA

View Full Version : 1887 NY ships List

D J Granlund
03-01-06, 16:48
Thanks to Connie from Arizona, I have been able to trick Castle Garden into giving up at least a partial list of the ships that brought Finns to the NY in June of 1887. I then searched the manifests thru Ancestry. So far I have searched Circassia(01), Eider, (07), State of Indiana (08), Baltic (13), Anchoria (13), Gallia (18), and Wisconsin (29). Ialso tried to get into Cephalonia (03). I have tried with the name of 12 Finnish individuals that were on that ship but they do not appear on Ancestry. Is this due to Ancestry not having this list? Further, I expect there were other ships arriving in NY between 13 and 29 June but I don't know how to get to them. I'm still looking for mor far far Frans Mauritz Grönlund DOB 1847. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Karen Douglas
03-01-06, 21:25
Hi DJ,

Do you have access to a library (such as a state or university library) that carries microfiche of the archived New York Times?

During this period in history the NYTimes carried a small boxed article listing the daily arrivals of ships from Europe and elsewhere.

In reading the microfiche of the newspaper on the day my parents arrived in the USA, I was able to get a clear picture of what the weather was like, and what time the boat was to dock! In addition, the headlines gave me a clear picture of what was happening in the world that day.

Great fodder for genealogical purposes!

Karen

klyne
03-01-06, 22:21
I just found out today through the Ancestry newsletter that you can access the Castle Garden ships at the following link: http://stevemorse.org/

I have used the Steve Morse site for a long time to search on Ellis Island but I never knew you could get the actual Casle Garden ship records.

Have fun - Wilma.

D J Granlund
03-01-06, 23:18
Thanks to both of you. Karen-Unfortunately we live rural and I am not in close proximity to any major libraries. It would be nice to access the NY Times. Klyne-Thanks for the stevemorse link. I'll investigate the page thoroughly. It looks promising.

Karen Douglas
03-01-06, 23:53
My grandfather came to the U.S. on the Urania 2 in 1893. My father made one trip from Finland on the Drottningholm.

Also, you might want to Google the following, if you haven't already:

Try the Finland Steamship Line; the Allan Line and the White Star Line.

Also, have you tried to Google Cyndi's List? It lists quite a few different subject areas relating to steamships.

Karen

granskare
04-01-06, 01:53
and this one:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/default.asp?CAT_ID=16

D J Granlund
04-01-06, 05:07
Karen-Thanks for the suggestions. Cyndi's list is impressive and long but has yet to be of real help to me. I have checked both the Allen Line and White Star in regard to other relatives comming to the US.
Granskare-Thanks for the Norse link. The Cephalonia is of the Cunard Line. Ancestry doesn't seem to have the manifest. Is there another venue to search for the manifest?

granskare
04-01-06, 05:49
Those early manifests are not as great as those after 1900. This one is for 1868 and the Swede I was looking for was listed as from Germany.
I have another for the mid 1870s that has the same appearance.
I am unable to explain why the manifests you desire are not available.
If you would send me by email the list of people you want who emigrated in 1887, I can check the Swenson cds. They have them from about 1850 to 1888, something like that.
http://www.immigrantships.net/
This has about 5000 manifests transcribed. Check along the left frame and this seems to be new but it is called Russians to America 1850 - 1896 and I am going there right after posting this. EDIT: it leads directly to Utah so do what you will with it. The thing to do is to click passenger lists at the very top.
EDIT 2: http://immigrantships.net/v4/shipsv4/cephaloniav4.html
Check the Cephalonia and see if they are aboard. Date appears to be 1890 though. I just checked the June 2 1890 and saw Russians with Finnish names so don't overlook that designation. Lots of Swedes, choke full of goodies:)
http://immigrantships.net/v4/1800v4/cephalonia18900707_02.html
at last. Finns! and I'm not to the last page yet.
If you don't see what you want or if this is the wrong year, you can check with the guild on doing the transcribing of the ship and sailing that you want.

Chuck

email granskare (symbol for at) netexpress.net:)

D J Granlund
04-01-06, 15:56
Granskare-the ISTG is a great list and they have 3 sailings for the Cephalonia all in 1890 and I'm looking for the 03 JUN 1887. It seems to be my lot that so much info is available and so little is what I'm looking for. The journey is interesting and I am meeting a lot of nice people along the way. The person I'm hoping to find is my mor far far Frans Mauritz Grönlund dob 1847 entered NY Jun 1887.

Karen Douglas
04-01-06, 22:32
Hi DJ,

In going through the 100th anniversary book of the First Lutheran Church in Dollar Bay, I found two more Gronlunds.

Erick and Stina Gronlund were among the charter members of this congregation, which was organized in 1900.

Have you come across these names in your family tree?

Karen

D J Granlund
04-01-06, 23:03
No. I know about all of the family members here in the US that are of issue of Frans. I do not know if he had siblings. He may have had cousins etc that also came to the US. Until I can figure out where Frans came from I have no way to tell if I have other relatives from that part of the family.

granskare
04-01-06, 23:51
I forgot to append the image.
Chuck

D J Granlund
05-01-06, 03:28
Chuck-maybe at my age the eyesight is going but I could not decipher the entries but then again if it is not from Jun 1887 I don't expect to find mor fra far.

Karen Douglas
06-01-06, 21:09
DJ,

I will be going to the State Library of Michigan tomorrow morning and will check the microfiche of the New York Times for ship arrivals in June of 1887.

I will also try to obtain some more information from Dollar Bay regarding Erick and Stina Gronlund. I have a great contact there but she doesn't do email, so it may take a week or so to get this information.

I don't recall, but do you know if any of your other Gronlunds/Granlunds have Michigan connections?

Karen

granskare
07-01-06, 00:26
you won't find your relly on this one. The purpose was to show that pre-1900 manifests were pretty sparse. My grandparents ones for 1901 and 1902 had a lot of info on them.

I suppose you have to make sure your rellys traveled after 1900. And yeah, got naturalized after 1906.
My mother's dad got naturalized in 1904 and it was pretty bereft of info other than the fact that he started the Czar of Russia on his downward trend. Yeah, when the Czar heard this this guy quit his team, he knew the empire was in real trouble.

Chuck:D

D J Granlund
07-01-06, 00:42
Karen,
I am still trying to find out where Frans came from. I don't know about any siblings, cousins, etc. I am hoping to chase down a person of interest, one Alma Grönlund from Turku that went to MN after Frans died. His wife, who had remarried, and his son were then living in Cromwell with the new husband and that was Alma's destination in 1904. No one living of my family knows of or remembers Alma. SOOO it is still possible that I have lots of Gronlund, Granlund, or Grönlund relatives I don't know about yet. Without the home parish I'm in a boat with just one oar.

June Pelo
07-01-06, 23:10
Dave,

HisKi has posted birthdates for Eura and Noormarkku that include 1850 - both of them list a Frans Mauritz Granlund. The one in Eura was born 9 Jul 1847 in Kyrkby., Lukkala farm to torpare's son Elias Granlund and Maria Johansdotter Ojala from Ossma. farm (they were married 9 Jan 1845). They also may have had a son Gustaf Alfred, b. 1845 and a daughter Ida Christina, b. 1849.

The other Frans was born 9 Jan 1847 on Lindi farm to Reinhold Elias Granlund and Maria Johansdotter.

There were also some births for Grönlund, but none named Frans Mauritz.

These are the only Frans Mauritz Granlund names that turned up. Neither parish includes moving out dates of ca 1887. You could write to both parishes and ask if Frans emigrated.

June

Karen Norwillo
08-01-06, 01:10
There are 3 Alma Grönlunds on Migration Institute in 1901, 1903 and 1904. The one from Turku is listed as being granted a passport in 1901. The only one on the Passport List is an Alma K.Grönlund leaving 15 Apr 1904 arrived 24 Apr in NY on SS Arabic from Liverpool. Was 26, single, going to friend A.A.Tarviainen in Carlton, Cromwell, MN. Karen

D J Granlund
08-01-06, 10:59
June,
It is really tempting to think this is paydirt. I really pondered it in early December when I found these Franses. I had to keep saying to myself it's Grönlund, its Grönlund until it got changed in the US. Thanks.

Karen,
The info from Institute for Migration is what lead me to my attempts to secure a copy of the original application for Alma's passport. From the Ellis Island site, I found the reference to Alma going to a friend "Eero Erkko" in Cromwell, Carlton, MN. I researched him and found he was an editor of a leading Finnish newspaper in Helsinki before the Russians exiled him from Finland. He ended up editing a Finnish newspaper in NY. He never was in Cromwell. A. A. Parvianen was the friend listed for the woman on the Arabic manifest on the line above Alma (Miss Korpela) that was going to NY. Interestingly, Ahti Paarvinen was from Cromwell and he wrote about early settlers in MN including some of my relatives. This senario reinforces my belief that Frans was a Grönlund as was Alma. One additional peculiarity, the name of the ship started out being Majestic and then somehow changed to Arabic. That threw me for quite awhile. I forget how I managed to work throught that one.

Thanks to you both. It is reassuring to see that what I have been doing and searching through make sense.

Karen Douglas
14-01-06, 19:10
Hi DJ,
I checked the names of ships arriving in New York, from Liverpool, from June 13-29, 1887. I don't know if any of this will help you or not, but here is a list - minus the ones you said that you had already checked on.

Beginning with June 13, the SERVIA, followed by The WYOMING, THE QUEEN, ETRURIA, CITY OF MONTREAL, THE QUEEN, CITY OF ROME, ARIZONA, GERMANIC, BRITISH QUEEN, ARABIC, AUSTURIANO, THE ENGLAND, and THE WISCONSIN. Those arriving the first part of July were CITY OF CHICAGO, THE ADRIATIC, THE EGYPT AND UMBRIA. No ships arrived from Liverpool from June 21-23.

If there is anything else I can do, let me know. I live 10 minutes from the State Library.

Karen

D J Granlund
14-01-06, 22:16
Karen,
Thanks for the list of ships. So far I have viewed the manifests from 01 Circassia, 07 Eider, 08 State of Indiana, 13 Baltic, 13 Anchoria and 29 Wisconsin. I was unable to get to the 03 Cephalonia via Ancestry using one or more known passenger name as I did for the others. I guess Ancestry doesn't have that manifest. Without a known passenger name I don't know how to get into the manifests. Do you have a technique I could use?

Karen Douglas
14-01-06, 22:33
DJ:

Actually, I'm not really an expert in this area, however, when I was looking for the first time my father came to the U.S., I did a GOOGLE check on the name of the ship. It led me to a lot of different sites - including photographs of the ship and the ship's manifest!

Realizing that you don't know the name of the ship, you might want to GOOGLE some of these ships by name. For example, I GOOGLED "Egypt," thinking I may have copied the name down wrong when I was at the library. I was happy to learn that there WAS a ship by that name and it belonged to the National Steamship Line out of Liverpool!

By the way, sent a letter last week to my historian friend in Dollar Bay to see if she can give me any leads on the Grönlund name. Will also check City Directories at the State Library, next time I go there. Maybe we can turn up a cousin or two for you, who might have the information you're looking for!

Karen
P.S. Have you tried sending a letter to the Korsholm Parish in Gamla Vasa, Finland?

D J Granlund
14-01-06, 22:40
Thanks to you for the continuing help and support. I'll try the google suggestion.

June Pelo
15-01-06, 00:54
DJ,

Staffan also has lots of info and pictures of ships on his website. Check it out:

http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/index.html

June

Karen Douglas
03-02-06, 23:49
Hi DJ, I have just received a letter from my historian friend in Dollar Bay. No luck on the relative you are searching for, but here are a few more "Gronlunds:"

According to a financial secretary record book from the Runeberg Hall, an Erik Gronlund and Stina Gronlund are listed as paying dues to a temperance society starting in March 1906. Also listed are a William Gronlund (March 1906); Abram Gronlund (March 1906); John Gronlund (March 1906); Mrs. Abram Gronlund (March 1908); Mrs. William Gronlund (Oct 1907); Hanna Gronlund (Jan. 1915); and Hilma Gronlund (Jan. 1915)

My friend said she is going to research some church records and will let us know what she finds out. She also asked for your first name.

Don't know if any of this will ever fit into your family tree, but then, again, who knows...

Karen

D J Granlund
04-02-06, 04:53
Karen,
I have been adopted 2x's. My alias' are Tryrone David Kytölä, David John Mattila and finally David John Granlund. So I ended up with my mother's maiden name for my final surname. I can fill you in on all the grissly details in a private message if you wish. The last name morphed from Grönlund to Gronlund to Granlund rapidly in Minnesota. I'm still hoping to get a copy of one Alma Grönlund's passport application as she was going to Mn Carlton Cromwell in 1904 and she has to have been related and she was from Turku. I have Emailed the National Archives in Turku to get a copy and they replied once with the cost and now I can not seem to get a reply as to how to pay the fee. I have tried to Email them 3 times with no responce. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Karen Douglas
06-02-06, 21:58
DJ: I wonder if they have a backlog of requests, and perhaps that's why you haven't heard from them.

Have you tried to write the parish in Turku? When I wrote to the parish in Vasa, seeking information on my Swede-Finn grandfather who immigrated to the U.S., they sent me photocopies of the church records. They did not request payment, but I made a donation.

Karen

D J Granlund
06-02-06, 22:52
Karen,
It has been pointed out to me that there is more than one parish in Turku. It would be best if I could get the passport application which would hopefully have the birth date and place, not just the year, Mother and Father's names and hopefully give the specific home parish in Turku. With that info I could order the correct film from Salt Lake.

June Pelo
07-02-06, 01:08
Åbo/Turku is shown as having 4 congregations:

Åbo Svenska Församling
Turun linnan srk - Åbo slottsförs
Turun linnan vankila - Åbo slotts fängelse
Turun suomalainen srk - Åbo finska församling

A book I have shows there were 10 provinces and for administrative purposes the country was divided into counties. The Genealogical Library Catalog is based on the counties as they were in 1945. One of the counties was Åbo and Björneborg (Turku-Pori). It lists Åbo/Turku as one parish. I don't understand how there could be a parish within a parish - you wrote "there is more than one parish in Turku." Could you mean there is more than one "congregation" in Turku as shown above?

Has there been a big change in parishes since my book was published in 1985? I know they no longer refer to provinces and Finland is now divided into regions, but I don't think the parishes have changed. It would help if someone living in or near Åbo could explain more about this.

June

Karen Douglas
07-02-06, 03:05
Regarding my grandfather, I should have added that my initial request to the church in Vasa, unbeknownst to me, was sent to the wrong church. I received a letter, stating so, and was told that they were forwarding my query to the appropriate church. I received the information I was seeking in a matter of days.

I have had nothing less than great experiences with the churches in Finland!

Karen

D J Granlund
07-02-06, 16:24
June, Thanks for the reply. I don't pretend to understand the record keeping in Finland. Kaj Granlund told me that there was more than one parish in Turku but the archives are together. So if one is searching in Turku the records are centralized but if I am to get the films from Salt Lake I need to know which parish to request (my understanding and I could easily be wrong). I received by post the responce from Turun Maakunta-Arkisto about Alma Grönlund yesterday. Saddly they sent the register which contains less information than I already had from Intstitute for Migration. They did not sent the application as I had hoped. I know only the year of her birth not month and date which makes searches exceedingly difficult.