PDA

View Full Version : meanings of terms

Karen Norwillo
13-01-06, 17:31
I recently received alot of new infomation from Finland. As I'm entering it into my program, I have a few questions maybe someone will explain.
What is the difference between Evijärvi and Evijärvellä?
What does essa and kylässä at the end of a place mean? Ex. Savonby and Savonkylässä? Enaperä and Enaperällä?
Also, is Lappajärvi the parish and Evijärvi the village in the same location?
Thanks for anyone's help. Karen

Hasse
13-01-06, 19:51
Originally posted by Karen Norwillo
I recently received alot of new infomation from Finland. As I'm entering it into my program, I have a few questions maybe someone will explain.
What is the difference between Evijärvi and Evijärvellä?The -lla or -llä suffix translates in this case to "in Evijärvi"

What does essa and kylässä at the end of a place mean? Ex. Savonby and Savonkylässä? Enaperä and Enaperällä?The same thing. Finnish uses the inessiv -form -ssa/-ssä in half of the cases, but in this case it means "in/at Lappajärvi and in Savoby/Savonkylä/Savo village

Also, is Lappajärvi the parish and Evijärvi the village in the same location? Savo is a village in Lappajärvi. Evijärvi is now a separate parish and municipality but was before a part of Lappajärvi.
/Hasse

granskare
13-01-06, 20:34
I believe it is the law in Finland that the Finnish language must be revised by at least 5% each 30 years thus rending my knowledge of the language to be "quaint" but hey, the language was a lot better in 1902.

Uh, this is somewhat a joke, ok, I don't want to see guys come around in black suvs carrying orange jumpsuits.

On the other hand, Cuba seems nice this time of year.

€ :D

Karen Norwillo
14-01-06, 02:29
Thank, Hasse. Most of the information is from the 1600-1800's and endings and place names seem to differ as the years progress. Fits with what Chuck says. It's a real challenge as it's in Finnish, not the Swedish which I've gotten more familiar with, even though I speak very little of either. Karen