PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be here. Hei from Maryland.

KUunila
14-01-06, 03:24
I look forward to sharing with and learning from anyone who may have roots in common in the families of Uunila, Kainuu (Kaino), Kankkonen, Haggren, Riippa, Viitavesi, Friis.

I was born in Astoria, Oregon to Uuno and Brigitta Uunila, who had left Himanka (Uuno for the second time) at the close of the Winter War. After their passing, I moved among a number of Finnish-American communities in California, Washington, DC and Michigan.

Now I work as a historical archaeologist in southern Maryland. I find it interesting and ironic that I know more details about hard-to-research families of African descent in the Chesapeake region and their 18th and 19th-century slavemasters than I know about the lives of my own ancestors. I love my work, but I wish to reap some of the fruits of my passion for research from my own family tree.

I invite you to talk to me and look forward to hearing from you.

Kirsti Uunila

Hasse
14-01-06, 16:54
Originally posted by KUunila
...I invite you to talk to me and look forward to hearing from you.

You shouldn't have problems finding relatives on this forum if you have Kaino/Caino and Kankkonen in your pedigree...

Welcome!

Hasse

June Pelo
14-01-06, 18:34
Hasse is right - many of us have links to these families. If you post some names and dates, we can check our databases for them. And if/when you have access to Talko, you'll find many of these families there. I have many Riippa, Viitavesi, Kankkonen, Caino names in my ancestry. And recently I have been helping someone in Finland who is looking for data on her Friis relatives in the US.

You'll enjoy working with this group of Finlanders!

June

KUunila
14-01-06, 18:43
Thank you both, June and Hasse for your warm welcomes.
A cousin in Oregon, with assistance from Finland, has take her Kankkonen pedigree back to 1535, but to my knowledge has not entered it into Gedcom or any other online database. I would actually be surprised if someone hadn't already done that. Would you suggest to me how I might find out? I notice that access to TALKO requires submission of data, which I would be happy to do, given some time.

Kirsti

Karen Norwillo
14-01-06, 21:17
Welcome. I, too, have Kankkonen people in my ancestry. Brita Clemetsdotter Kankkonen 1634-1708 was my 8th great-grandmother on my farmor's side. Karen in PA.

granskare
14-01-06, 21:33
welcome to sfhs!

as to Mich, if you had relatives in Crystal Falls or Champion or both - in the UP, I have a dbase of Finnish born ppl. It's on at delphi. Click that logo at the top of the page, when you get to the search engine, write the name granskare into the box and click again. Michigan Finns etc will be found at the very bottom of the page. Click there and select your county. Crystal Falls is in Iron and Champion is in Marquette. Few Finnish speakers are listed as members of Swedish language churches which these are excepting the two I gave to you.
Chuck

June Pelo
14-01-06, 22:51
Until you can get your data ready for a GedCom to submit to Hasse and get a password for Talko - you could post some names and dates and we could tell you if we have those names. The earliest Kankkonen I have is Grels Olofsson, b. ca 1570, my 8th ggfather - he had 3 children: Olof, Nils and Brita. My line descends through Olof.

I also have some Kaino-Uunila names. If you have access to the book "Lars Friis i Karleby och hans Ättlingar", there are pages of names for Kaino, Kankkonen and Uunila.

June

KUunila
14-01-06, 23:50
My ggrandparents on my mother's side were Wilhelm Gustafsson Kankkonen (9 May 1833 - 11 Aug 1924) and his wife Brita Mattsdotter Riippa (4 Jan 1837 - 11 Dec 1920). My gfather was Frans Kankkonen ( 3 Sep 1864 - 15 July 1919) who emigrated to Oregon in 1893--one of several brothers who did so, one who did not change his last name.
Wilhelm's parents were Gustaf Adolf Isacsson Kankkonen (1792-1845) and Maria Ericksdotter Kankkonen, both of Karleby (parents of the famous Matti).
The pedigree provided to me is confusing in that it shows the father of Gustaf Adolf as one Isac Zachrisson Hilli (1761-1832) . . . and I don't find the name 'Kankkonen' appearing anywhere else on that side of the chart, rather it appears on Maria's side. Is this most likely a simple transcription error? Do you have anything that could clear this up?
Would be most grateful!
Kirsti

KUunila
14-01-06, 23:55
Originally posted by Karen Norwillo
Welcome. I, too, have Kankkonen people in my ancestry. Brita Clemetsdotter Kankkonen 1634-1708 was my 8th great-grandmother on my farmor's side. Karen in PA.

Hello, probable cousin.
I hope to sort out the rather jumbled pedigree I have to work with in a reasonable amount of time. "Brita" has been a very popular name in my family for centuries, as it turns out. My own mother's given name was Brigitta, but everyone called her Brita.
Kirsti

Karen Norwillo
15-01-06, 02:52
It is quite possible there is no transcription error in your info. Often when a man married the daughter of the farm owner, he took that name. He may have indeed been born a Hilli. The children then bore the Kankkonen name. I've found that several times in my family. Karen

KUunila
15-01-06, 03:42
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense! . . Though it does make cousin-marriages even more confusing and potentially harder to detect, doesn't it?

Hasse
15-01-06, 13:48
Here is the pedigree from Talko - believe it is from June's material.

June Pelo
15-01-06, 19:56
I can add further info: Gustaf Adolf was the son of Isak Zachariasson Hilli and when Gustaf married he took his wife's name Kankkonen. In addition to son Wilhelm, b. 1833, they had a son Adolf, b. 1827, d. 1904, who married and went to America. He had 5 children, one was a son Adolf, b. 1856, d. 1919 in Hockinson, WA.

Wilhelm, b. 1833, had 4 children who went to Oregon:
- Carl, b. 1861-1924, Astoria (Charles Wilson), married Niemelä.
- Frans, 1864-1919, Oregon.
- Milcha Johanna, 1871-1983, Oregon.
- Matts, 1879-1948 in Astoria, married to Silander.

There is a picture of the famous Matti, along with the family data in the Lars Friis book that I mentioned. The book is written in Swedish. I know one of the descendants of Isak Hilli; she's a member of SFHS.

June

June Pelo
15-01-06, 20:06
I'll attach an article about the Kankkonen family as well as a picture of the "famous" Matts Kankkonen, from the Friis book.

June

June Pelo
15-01-06, 20:12
Here is the article.

June

KUunila
15-01-06, 23:32
Hasse,
Thank you so much for sending the pedigree image! This adds considerably to what I have. Kiitos, kiitos!
Kirsti

KUunila
15-01-06, 23:40
June,

Thank you for sending your article! Matti's story, which my siblings and I were all told versions of growing up, is a great one and I loved hearing how you encountered it and how it enriched your sense of connectedness to real people.

The pedigree that I have and hope to enter includes the brothers that emigrated and their rather numerous descendants.

Kirsti

Hasse
16-01-06, 07:15
Originally posted by KUunila
Hasse,
Thank you so much for sending the pedigree image! This adds considerably to what I have. Kiitos, kiitos!
Kirsti

The thanks should go to June! The snapshot was from her data. June has even more to add to this pedigree.

Hasse

June Pelo
16-01-06, 19:10
Kirsti,

I'm attaching an unidentified photo from the Friis book that was on the page with the Kankkonen family in Oregon. Wondered if you recognized it.

Is there some data I can send you about Kankkonen? If you send me your e-mail address in a PM, I can put something together.

June

KUunila
16-01-06, 21:52
June,

Thank you for the picture! My best guess is that it is Charles W. Wilson, his wife Susanna Beata Niemela and six of their children in Astoria. I will try to get confirmation.

In the meantime, I have a photo I'd like to send to you if you don't have one of Wilhelm Gustafsson Kankkonen and Brita Mattsdotter Riippa--need to save in different format before I send, though. I will send you my address as you suggested. Thanks, so much!

Kirsti

christina
16-01-06, 22:28
Is this Brita Mattsdotter Riippa from Kelviċ? I have no parents to Richard Riippa born 20.10.1889 in Kelviċ. Is he maybe from the same family?

Hälsningar
Christina Nordback

June Pelo
16-01-06, 23:14
Christina,

This Brita Mattsdotter Riippa was born 1 Apr 1837, Kelviċ to Matts Mattsson Kerola-Rippa, b. 30 Oct 1815, Kelviċ, and Brita Mattsdotter Riippa, b. 12 Sep 1817, Kelviċ.

June