PDA

View Full Version : out of wedlock roadblock

b hietala
05-02-06, 00:44
My grandfather was Jakob Hietala, born out of wedlock in 1874 to Brita Magdalena Hietala of Pirttiniemi (Sweden). I don't know the name of his father.

I have history on Brita and know that the Hietala family farm was sold to Johan Isakson in the late 1860's for non-payment of taxes. Brita was allowed to remain on the farm with her widowed mother (Eva Kajsa Isaksdotter Hietala) for a period of time.

Does anyone have information that can help me solve this problem?

Kaj Granlund
05-02-06, 13:40
You might have problems to find the name of the father unless there is a local tradition of who he might be. These traditions can sometimes be told for generations. Out of wedlock often indicates that the father is officially unknown

b hietala
18-02-06, 18:02
I have heard that the Swedish government did provide a child support mechanism for unwed mothers and in the case of my great grandmother, there is a possibility that a record may exist of an attempt by her to collect a support payment. Does anyone know how this system may have worked and how one might access legal information?

On another note, I have documentation concerning the eviction of the Hietala family with a reference to my grandmother being allowed to remain on the farm with her mother, perhaps because she was "limbing". I don't understand "limbing". Is this a misprint or translation error? What might be meant by "limbing"? She was in her twenties at the time.

Kaj Granlund
19-02-06, 22:30
Don't know the system in Sweden at that time. Have you checked www.rotter.se?
I suggest she had some problems with her legs.

Gita Wiklund
20-02-06, 00:37
There is a guy who has a genealogy site and he has Eva Kajsa Isaksdotter Hietala, married 1835 to Mickel Mickelsson Hietala and a child of theirs: Maria Mickelsdotter Hietala.

Since you say that Eva Kajsa is the mother of your grandfathers mother, perhaps you could contact the guy who has related data on his site, and hopefully he can help you check this up. Perhaps you are relatives!

You find contact link to this guy on his site, if you klick his name at the bottom of the page in the right frame (I don´t want to write out his name etc in this forum).

Here is the link to the site (http://homeusers.brutele.be/hawkeye/default.html)

By the way, Brita seems to have had another son Anders Waldemar born 1880 according to the CD Sveriges befolkning 1890. Also, who was Johan Isaksson Hietala? Could he have been a brother to Eva Kajsa Isaksdotter Hietala?

b hietala
20-02-06, 08:34
Thank you to Kaj for the link to rotter.se. I was unaware of this site and it looks very helpful. I don't know if any district court archives are available online, but I understand the Mormon Church has some records on microfilm. I hope to find out.

In answer to Gita, yes, I am familiar with the person you have linked me to and he is my third cousin. Johan Isaksson Hietala was born Johan Heikkilä from Haapaklylä and purchased the Hietala farm at auction in 1870. He then, I'm guessing by custom, assumed the farm name. I have heard that some of his children emigrated to the US. One of Eva Kajsa's children, Eric Gustaf, was "auctioned" (if that is the proper word) as a farm hand to the local sheriff and later assumed the farm name of Waara. He also had children who emigrated to the US.

My third cousin has provided me with much information, but I hate to bother him with daily emails. I am hoping to broaden my connections to other people with family ties to the Korpilombolo area in the mid to late 19th century. Thanks for your feedback.

Kaj Granlund
24-02-06, 20:20
Who knows. When you get more information it might turn out you have living relatives here in the Esse area. There are many marriages betwen people from Esse and Korpilombolo.

b hietala
04-05-08, 17:15
I recently received information from my cousin stating that he found record of Jakob Hietala in the Swedish military records... signing up for service upon coming of age. He was required to list the occupation of his father and he stated that he was a kronojagare (crown forest keeper). There was only one crown forest keeper listed for the Korpilombolo parish at that time, and his name was Karl Johan Bergstrom. My cousin suggested I contact the Regional Archives in Harnosand for a possible record of a child allowance in the year 1874, 75, or 76. Unfortunately, the response is in Swedish. I don't think it gave me any information, but I was wondering if one of our Swedish friends would interpret it for me. I do notice another web address, but I have no idea if this will benefit me, especially since I do not speak the language.

Also, does anyone have any tips about how to move forward with this information? Thanks, Bruce

Dnr 421-2008/5624

Landsarkivet har mottagit din frfrgan.
Vi behandlar inkomna renden i turordning. Handlggningstiden varierar
beroende p rendets art.

Mer information finns p vr hemsida www.ra.se/hla. Dr finns ven
bestllningsblanketter som kan anvndas vid framtida bestllningar.

Med vnlig hlsning

Landsarkivet i Hrnsand,
Forskarservice
+46 (0)611 34 76 00
telefontid forskarservice: mn-fre 09.30 - 12.00

cdahlin
04-05-08, 18:03
The message is from the archive you sent your question to (Landsarkivet i Härnösand). It just tells that your question will be handled. The handling time depends on the type of question and on the amount of other questions.

Further information can be found on their website www.ra.se/hla. There is also order forms to be used in future questions.

Christian

b hietala
04-05-08, 18:14
Thanks Christian... That is good news! I thought they were simply referring me somewhere else. I'm excited to be finally getting some news about my Great Grandfather (maybe).. and solving a mystery. Thanks again.

b hietala
19-06-08, 22:30
I received word from the Regional Archives and it appears I have discovered my Great-Grandfather. This is the only branch I have been unable to open until today!! My Great-Grandmother sued for a child allowance from Per Karlsson Haarala from Kivijarvi. I would be grateful to anyone who can help me expand this line.

Also, I have some Swedish court records from 1876 through 1879, in case anyone with some time on their hands might be willing to translate. I can send them via email as I am having trouble uploading the pdf here for some reason. If nothing else, some of the high points would be appreciated. I don't read Swedish. If anyone can help me with this, they would have my heartfelt gratitude. It's been years getting here and I'm anxious to open up this line.

Kiitos. BH

Gita Wiklund
20-06-08, 09:59
Hi!

I can try to help with translation.

Send it to (my name) firstnamelastnameatgmail.com

Gita

b hietala
21-06-08, 18:06
Thanks Gita,

I have forwarded information to your address. I will appreciate anything you can do. :)

BH

Gita Wiklund
21-06-08, 18:57
Hi!

I received the file, and I have started working on it. I will not translate word for word, but pick out the important content. I´m almost done. You´ll probably have it in your mailbox this evening or tomorrow.
But..even though I know Swedish, the language is a bit elderly, some words are hard to discern or interpret, and I don´t know much of the court procedures of that time so some of the content is a little bit confusing to me as well. Even so I think you will get a good idea of what happened. I have not left out much, but if you would like a word for word translation you should ask someone who is more familiar with the procedures of the district courts in the 19th century.

Gita :)