PDA

View Full Version : KJ Hagfors' Wiitavesi history question

KUunila
20-02-06, 06:33
Do any of you know if Karl Johan Hagfors' account of his own family history (beginning at the Wiitavesi karttano) has been translated into English? This weekend I visited my sister who showed me a wonderful long-hand transcription of the document that my mother produced for my father as a gift (in Finnish) in 1939. While it would be good practice for me to take on the task of translation, I really think that someone must have done it by now. Can anyone tell me where I might find it?
Hopefully,
Kirsti

June Pelo
20-02-06, 19:08
Göran Cainberg probably would know - evidently he hasn't checked Finlander today.

June

KUunila
20-02-06, 20:19
Thank you, June, for giving me hope. I found quite a few interesting entries about Tri. Hagfors on the Internet--all in Swedish, which I read with great difficulty. It occurs to me that the original document was probably in Swedish and my mother translated it into Finnish as a gift for my father. If that is the case, it would make even less sense for my sister or me to translate it from Finnish to English.

Kirsti

Göran Cainberg
05-03-06, 20:19
I have asked people if they know about any English version of K J Hagfors family history but nobody of them have heard about any English translation.

Göran

KUunila
06-03-06, 01:24
Göran,

Thank you for asking if anyone knew of an English translation. I have done some more internet searches, as well, all to no avail. Since there does not seem to be an English version of Hagfors' family history, that is incentive for my sister and me to produce one and share it:)

Two more questions, can you tell me the title of Hagfors' family history in Swedish? Do you know if it was published in Finnish?

Again, thank you for your help.

Kirsti

Hasse
06-03-06, 10:44
Who owns the rights to the Hagfors book - and if it is translated/published? Would it be possible to publish and distribute electronically?Wouldn't be that difficult if the material (text and pictures) could be delivered in a digital form.

But the copyrights? Do you know Göran? Or do you know somebody that might know.

June Pelo
06-03-06, 18:34
If Göran doesn't know, perhaps Jan-Erik Nygren would know - I can send you his e-mail address if you don't have it.

June

Göran Cainberg
06-03-06, 21:44
I have also asked Jan-Erik but he did'nt know if there are any english version of Hagfors' family history.

Göran

granskare
06-03-06, 22:00
If it has been copyrighted, such notice and owner's name will be at the front of the book or however it was presented. If nothing is there about copyright, I would believe there is nothing to hinder you making a translation, but of course it would be considerate to give a copy of the English translation to the family that authored the original.

Just my opinion.

Chuck

KUunila
08-03-06, 05:00
Can anyone tell me the title, in Swedish or Finnish, of Hagfors' published family history? We have a handwritten manuscript, in Finnish, in my mother's hand that she produced in Himanka in 1939. I suspect she translated it into Finnish from Swedish, but I do not have nor know what document she used to make the account we have--she attributes it to Hagfors. I found one quote online in Swedish that seems to refer to the same document, so I assume that it must be published somewhere. From there we can tackle the copyright issues. I'd appreciate any guidance any of you might offer, and thank you in advance.

Kirsti

Hasse
08-03-06, 07:27
The publication I would have imagined this was about is the one mentioned below. But - the book is some 135 pages and published 1940! And the material you have seen was translated 1939??

Is there another versions of Hagfors' family history?

Author : Hagfors, K. J.
Title: Fädernas gård och dess folk : släktöden under 500 år / av K. J. Hagfors
Publ data Helsingfors : Söderström, 1940

KUunila
09-03-06, 04:09
Thank you for the reference! This is getting quite curious. Is it possible that my mother somehow might have had access to a Hagfors manuscript? The document that she transcribed or translated must have been an excerpt of Hagfors' work--it is not nearly long enough to encompass the whole book that Hasse described as 135 printed pages. Yet the attribution to Hagfors is clear. At the end of the account in my mother's handwriting (100 pages) is written " Uusikaarlepyy 13 p. huhtikuu 1929. K. J. Hagfors." Yes, 1929. I do not believe that anyone is yet alive who can tell us exactly what document my mother used in 1939--(she signed and dated it with a gift inscription to my father). I only hope that she told someone in a letter that may yet turn up.

Kirsti

Alf Blomqvist
09-03-06, 09:07
Karl Johan Hagfors was active at Nykarleby Seminarium ("Direktor" 1917—1930").

Here is a link to Nykarlebyvyer.nu http://www.nykarlebyvyer.nu/SIDOR/Index2.htm

Search (Sök) for Hagfors and you get several findings!

KUunila
10-03-06, 03:34
Thank you for that link, Alf. Those hits will keep me busy with my Swedish-English dictionary for awhile! Makes me wish that my folks had not kept Swedish as their "secret" language!

Kirsti