PDA

View Full Version : Swedish traditions

June Pelo
21-02-06, 20:43
New Finlandia Foundation Fund focuses on the Swedish traditions.

Finlandia Foundation National (FFN) established the Finnish-Swedish Cultural Fund (by George and Marion Sundquist), especially aimed at emigrants with roots in the Swedish-speaking parts of Finland. While these emigrants come from small geographic areas, and are a small part of the population of Finland, they have made significant contributions to US culture, and around the world.

This Fund joins the Endowment for the Arts Fund, which was also established by George and Marion Sundquist. The goal is to help preserve the culture, history, and heritage from Finland's Swedish-speaking areas, and to give interested individuals and organizations the opportunity to support Finnish-Swedish culture through grants and bequests. The non-profit charitable organization was founded in 1953 by former Finnish Consul Y.A. Paloheimo, who was also its first president. The Foundation continues to be supported by the Paloheimo Trust. One of its major funds is the Vaino Hoover General Fund. Dr. Hoover was FFN's second president.
Arthur Koski, Norden 9 Feb 2006

June

George Sundquist is one of Jaska's cousins. :)

Jaska Sarell
21-02-06, 22:38
I'm glad to hear about George and Marion!

Quote: George Sundquist is one of Jaska's cousins. :)

And June is the one that found our relationship :p

BTW. You may see our relationship in my recently renewed web pages (additions coming), e.g. male line from Olof Hyytinen shows my grandfather Kaarle Aleksander and George's father Eric Johan (abt 1/5 from bottom).
That male lineage really shows that surnames don't mean much in Finnish genealogy (brothers Matts Backman, Alexander Sarell and Johan Sundqvist ! ).

:) Jaska

June Pelo
22-02-06, 01:10
Jaska,

How right you are when you said: That male lineage really shows that surnames don't mean much in Finnish genealogy (brothers Matts Backman, Alexander Sarell and Johan Sundqvist ! ).

I just found a couple more new relatives for you:
Beverly Nylund Huchala and Bill Wright's Gustaf Backlund-Forsman. Bill is in the process of gathering data, so it's all new to him right now.

June :)