PDA

View Full Version : travel by train in US

timren
06-03-06, 08:25
Hi everyone!

We are four persons who will travel to US in July 2006.
Visit relatives in Minneapolis, Duluth and San Diego (Carlsbad).
From Carlsbad we plan to travel by train, the route Los Angeles
to Chicago.

Is there somebody in Finlander Forum who can describe “our trip”?
---
Kaj Timrén

debbiesantelli
07-03-06, 05:19
If you are taking the Amtrak from Los Angeles to Chicago, you will probably be riding on Amtrak's Southwest Chief. Attached is a simple route map. If you visit www.amtrak.com and then click on ROUTES, you can then locate the Southwest Chief's route and read about the many interesting places you will see along the way.

This is a brief summary of what the site tells about the trip:

Amtrak's Southwest Chief runs daily between Chicago and Los Angeles, through the vast expanse of the fabled American West.

You'll be mesmerized by this region's beauty and allure. We'll take you across the mighty Mississippi through eight states—past wheat fields and ranches, missions and pueblos, mountains and deserts. Carving through curving canyon passages only a few feet wider than the train itself, you'll see spectacular landscapes and pristine vistas not visible from interstate highways.

This sounds interesting -- I hope you have a GREAT trip across the US.

--Debbie

Jim Bailey
07-03-06, 23:11
Hej, Kaj ----

Your trip sounds wonderful. One word of CAUTION, however. Last year, two of us planned a trip by Amtrak from Chicago to Portland, Oregon. The three choices were regular seats or a very small cabinet with just enough room for two fold-down beds or a larger roomette (I don't recall the exact names, but they're on the Amtrak website.)

We found it would be about $2,800 for two of us, for the two days and nights. We thought that was a very high price. I may be wrong, but I imagine it will cost from $4,000 to $6,000 for the four of you.

If you have the time and inclination, I would rent a car and drive. You'll see more, and you can stop anywhere you like. I guess it all depends on your time, comfort, and desires.

Just a small suggestion. Best of luck.

Jim Bailey
07-03-06, 23:26
Hej, again ----

I just checked the Amtrak web site. It's only $664 for FOUR seats, but you'll be sitting in them (and, of course, moving around) for about 43 hours (!!).

If you wanted to travel in roomettes, with fold-down beds, add ANOTHER $565 per couple.

If you wanted the larger "bedrooms", instead of roomettes, add ANOTHER $1087 per couple, instead of the $565.

Debbie is right. The trip is spectacular, and you would see some things from the train that are not visible from the Interstate highways .... but the reverse is also true. I love the freedom to stop anywhere and take photos.

All the best,

Jim Bailey
07-03-06, 23:32
Sorry my estimates were so high in my first message. I can't recall for sure ... my mind is disappearing at age 67 ... :) :) :)
but, I may have been remembering the prices for a ROUND trip. I just don't recall for sure.

timren
11-03-06, 10:50
Thans, all of you for your tips about
train Los Angeles - Chicago.

//kaj