PDA

View Full Version : Kråknäs in America

cdahlin
08-03-06, 22:24
Any information about these two brothers:

1. Johan Viktor Kråknäs, b. 23.10.1874 in Pedersöre, Katternö, Kråknäs. To America 1893, d. 23.5.1945 in America.

2. Otto Vilhelm Kråknäs, b. 7.4.1887. To America 1906, d. 1944 in America.

Parents: Johannes Jakobsson Kråknäs and Anna Johansdotter.

Where did they go? Did they have families?

Christian Dahlin

granskare
09-03-06, 00:40
Likely not in northern Michigan. I searched by surname (I knew it not so no surprise that it was not found) and then by birthdates. Found the Apr 7 but wrong name to go with so nothing there.:)

However, many Finns can be found in churches because the Finland connection has not be recorded. I've have seen obvious Finnish speaking Finn names but left them off because I had to draw the line somewhere.

So, if you learn they were in northern Michigan, I can still check a church for their names.

Good luck,
Chuck

June Pelo
09-03-06, 02:16
Because umlauts weren't used in America, they probably changed their name. In my files I show that some Kråknäs names from Katternö were changed to Granroth, Stormans, Stubb and Pihl. These two brothers could have taken the surname Johnson, after their father's first name.

June

granskare
09-03-06, 03:51
Hi June,
Thanks for the new possibilities but Granroth, Stormans, Stubb and Pihl did not appear as members or mentioned in m/acts as being from Finland.

For sure Katternö is not there. When June mentioned "Johnson", I shuddered but because I was not busy, I thought to look because many entries are listed only as Finland and sometimes no birthdate.
Results from Alger, Baraga, Chippewa, Delta, Dickinson and Gogebic Counties:

Johanson = 11
Johannesson = 1
Jonasson = 2
Johnson = 54

Two or three close calls but nothing that would fit.

Oh well, kept me out of the poolhall:)

Chuck

Jim Bailey
10-03-06, 20:46
Hi, All ----

I have a subscription to ALL U.S. records via Ancestry.com, so I checked Crook and Krook as well as Kraknas, Krakness, etc. I was surprised by the number of persons I found with the last name of Crook or Krook, coming from Sweden, Russia, and Finland.

(Remember, the old records are not always accurate about WHERE people came from. As my own mother used to say, "Don't say Finland! Say Sweden!")

Anyway, Christian, it is very hard to pick out the right Kråknäs or Krook or Crook without more information. I only worked on this for about 10 minutes and will try more when I get back from some chores I need to do now. In the meantime, someone else may have better luck or more ideas.

All the best --- :)

cdahlin
10-03-06, 21:49
Ok, I will try to see if I could figure out their destination in US.

Jim Bailey
11-03-06, 18:57
Hi, again ----

No luck yet with Krook, Crook, Krock, or Crock, but I did find a John V. Johnson in the 1920 U.S. census, age 47, born about 1873, came to U.S. in 1893. Location: Leadville, Lake County, Colorado. Occupation: carpenter. Wife Jenny C. Johnson, age 27. Children: Edith, Ruth, Carl, Edwin, Alma, & Thelma.

Only problem is that he states his birth place to be Sweden, and says his parents were both born in Sweden. Wife from Sweden too, but children born in Colorado. But, please keep in mind (with all due respect to Finland), a number of Swede- Finn immigrants repeatedly stated they were from Sweden, despite the fact they were REALLY born in Finland.

Nonetheless, Johnson is/was such a common name, I just don't know ....

All the best,

cdahlin
12-03-06, 23:00
I have found that these "Kråknäs" brothers had other relatives in America and it seems that they were using the names "Jakobsson" or "Johansson". But still I don't know where these families went. Perhaps more information could help, because I suppose that all went to the same place.

* Jakob Jakobsson, b. 23.6.1866 in Kråknäs, Pedersöre, to America 1885, d. 20.11.1898 in America. He married 29.6.1889 in America:
* Kajsa Lena Johansdotter Nybacka, b. 1.7.1864 in Esse
The couple had at least three children in America:
** Ida Johanna Jakobsdotter, b. 2.11.1891
** Alfred Emil Jakobsson, b. 10.10.1893
** Maria Katarina Jakobsdotter, b. 28.11.1899

Jakob had a twin brother who also emigrated:
* Anders Jakobsson, b. 23.6.1866, to America 23.1.1892, m. 26.12.1891 with:
* Maria Andersdotter Lassfolk, b. 15.9.1870 in Esse

Jakob and Anders had a sister who lived some years in America:
* Lena Sofia Jakobsdotter, b. 10.5.1860, to America 14.10.1891, returned and was married in Esse 1896.

Johan Viktor Johansson's (Kråknäs) & Otto Vilhelm Johansson's (Kråknäs) father was brother to the siblings above.

Perhaps this information can help.

cdahlin
15-03-06, 09:21
William Dahlin has found a military record for Alfred Jakobsson, b. 10.10.1893 from Salt Lake County, Utah. This indicates that the whole family could be there. Would be nice to find more information about the other people. Due to the military record (from 1917) Alfred was single. He may have got married later, but I have no information about that.

Christian

William Dahlin
18-03-06, 04:19
Chris: Have searched and searched records in Utah but have
come up with no records. Have also check all other states and
have not had any luck. Hope some one else will have better
luck.

Bill

cdahlin
18-03-06, 09:42
Thanks to you Bill for your help. I understand that the name Jakobson is so common that it must be hard to find the right persons. The may also have changed their names in America. I must see how I can trace the rest of the family. The have some distant relatives in Finland and perhaps someone of them has more information.

Christian

willyj
11-03-10, 18:04
Hi, again ----

No luck yet with Krook, Crook, Krock, or Crock, but I did find a John V. Johnson in the 1920 U.S. census, age 47, born about 1873, came to U.S. in 1893. Location: Leadville, Lake County, Colorado. Occupation: carpenter. Wife Jenny C. Johnson, age 27. Children: Edith, Ruth, Carl, Edwin, Alma, & Thelma.

Only problem is that he states his birth place to be Sweden, and says his parents were both born in Sweden. Wife from Sweden too, but children born in Colorado. But, please keep in mind (with all due respect to Finland), a number of Swede- Finn immigrants repeatedly stated they were from Sweden, despite the fact they were REALLY born in Finland.

Nonetheless, Johnson is/was such a common name, I just don't know ....

All the best,

Hi,

I noticed that you mentioned Leadville above . . .

Does you or anyone else have any old photos from Leadville?

I have some unidentified photos from Leadville during the same period as you are discussing.

Would you be kind to check if you can find any match between your photos and my photos or you might have information about some of the persons on my photos? My unidentified photos are published at the Internet page
http://oldphotos.homeip.net/Photos.htm

I'll be grateful for every single clue that will help my research; my contact information will be found at the Internet page
http://oldphotos.homeip.net/Photos.htm

Thanks!

June Pelo
11-03-10, 19:58
Here is a website of old photos:
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/PicturePages/PP-Leadville-1.html

K-G Molander
14-03-10, 21:50
Greetings!

Burial records in Utah are excellent. Check this link: http://history.utah.gov/apps/burials/execute/searchburials

Karen Norwillo
15-03-10, 17:22
Christian,
Are you sure about your dates on the Jakobson family of Jakob? If he died 20.11.1898 and Maria Katarina was born a year later 28.11.1899, it doesn't fit.
I found a WWI Draft Card for an Alfred Jakobson born 10 Oct 1893, but it says he was born in Pedersöre.

Karen Norwillo
15-03-10, 18:01
This might be Anders Jakobsson family in Bessemer, Gogebic, MI. In 1900, he and wife Mary and 3 children His year is off by 1, but month is correct, as is Mary's. I later found several Jacobson in the Bessemer Directories for 1928-1938-1948. In 1928 there is an Alfred Jacobson, married farmer, 1 boy, 1 girl.
In 1938
Albert Jacobson (Myrtle) 805 Yale janitor Bessemer Barber School
Andrew Jacobson R1 widower farmer
John Jacobson -Anvil, Bessemer twsp. this is a location
Albert B (Myrtle) Jacobson 805 Yale janitor barber school (3) Don't know what this number means. children??

Karen Norwillo
15-03-10, 20:02
According to Hiski, all three of Jakob and Kaisa Lena children were born in Pedersöre and he was still alive at time of 1899 birth. He does not show up on death records to 1912 in Pedersöre. Ida and Alfred were born Katternö village, Kråknäs farm, Maria Kållby village, Sudd farm. Also, they were married in Pedersöre same date you have.

cdahlin
15-03-10, 21:16
Christian,
Are you sure about your dates on the Jakobson family of Jakob? If he died 20.11.1898 and Maria Katarina was born a year later 28.11.1899, it doesn't fit.
I found a WWI Draft Card for an Alfred Jakobson born 10 Oct 1893, but it says he was born in Pedersöre.

Hi Karen!

You must be right about his death date. Something must be wrong here.

This Alfred Jakobson is interesting. My information said he moved to Salt Lake County, USA. Your copy was not so easy to read, but didn't it say Utah?

I have another information that Jakob had a daughter Ida Maria born 27 May 1890 in Negaune, d. 1891. He had another daughter Ida Johanna, b. 2 Nov 1891 in Negaune, d. 1907 in Jakobstad, Finland.

Karen Norwillo
15-03-10, 21:39
Ida Johanna born 1891 was born in Pedersöre, not Negaunee.
The 1913 manifest for Alfred Jakobsson says he's going to friend Frans Finell in Preston, WA, but in 1917 he's in Bingham, Salt Lake county, UT. per his WWI Draft Reg. Card. You'll see on his manifest, mother Kaisa is in Jakobstad.
He's on line 15.
I you look back at his Draft card, says mother dependant on him for support.

June Pelo
15-03-10, 21:56
[QUOTE=cdahlin;29644]Hi Karen!

You must be right about his death date. Something must be wrong here.

This Alfred Jakobson is interesting. My information said he moved to Salt Lake County, USA. Your copy was not so easy to read, but didn't it say Utah?
He married in USA to Edla Finne from Oravais, Finland. The whole family moved to Finland in 1895.

Christian,
This is a coincidence, but I have an Edla Finne, b. 1889 Oravais, who married 1914 in Telluride, CO to Johan Arthur Gustafsson Wärn - they both died in Alameda, CA.

cdahlin
15-03-10, 22:05
Some of my information is from a local publication "Katternö Hävder" and I have not double-checked this information. But local writers may be wrong, because I think that much information is based on tales in the village.

cdahlin
15-03-10, 22:15
But my main question in the beginning was that I was looking for information about these brothers.

1. Johan Viktor Kråknäs, b. 23.10.1874 in Pedersöre, Katternö, Kråknäs. To America 1893, d. 23.5.1945 in America.

2. Otto Vilhelm Kråknäs, b. 7.4.1887. To America 1906, d. 1944 in America.

Parents: Johannes Jakobsson Kråknäs and Anna Johansdotter.

Karen Norwillo
16-03-10, 04:27
Could this be your Otto in the WWI Draft Reg? Birth date matches. Found under Otto Johnson in Jefferson county, WA.

cdahlin
16-03-10, 07:52
Great Karen!

Otto W. Johnson sounds like a reasonable suggestion. This is an interesting startpoint for searching him. It seems like he is single here.

Christian