PDA

View Full Version : Cardamom Coffee Braid for the Bread Machine

Terry Kenney
16-04-06, 22:12
After a little experimenting, my brother and cousins agree, this tastes like the cardamom braid my Grandma made.

Bread Machine Finnish Coffee Braid

**Make sure the mixing paddle is placed on the peg in the bottom of the bread machine. Do NOT double this recipe. A small coffee grinder is excellent for grinding whole cardamom seeds--1-1/2 tsp seeds makes 2 tsp ground.

Put the following into the bread machine in this order.

1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. water
1 large egg
1/4 c. butter, soft, cut up
1/2 tsp salt
3-1/3 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. bread machine yeast
1 to 2 tsp. ground cardamom to taste (I use 1-1/2)

Let the bread machine do the work. Set on manual (mix and knead only) cycle. Let machine do first rise or just mix and knead only--I've found results about the same.

After dough is mixed, remove from bread machine and shape into one large braid or 2 short braids. Bake 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until done.

"Sugar" the top as normally done. I mix sugar and water to make a 'syrup' ; baste on hot loaf, then sprinkle with granulated sugar. Let cool.

Elaine Goren
17-04-06, 17:55
My grandma had a sweet tooth--here's her recipe for a sweeter version:

1 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 pkg yeast
2 beaten egg yolks
30 cardamom seeds

Warm bowl in hot water. Crumble yeast in a cup with 1/4 cup luke warm water and let stand. To the scalded milk add butter, sugar, salt and beaten egg yolks. Stir in yeast and some flour, add the rest of the flour and mix until smooth and eastic. (I use my hands) Cover and let rise to double in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch dough down, turn out on floured board and form 2 braided loaves. Brush tops with egg whites and sprinkle sugar on. Bake in preheated 350 oven for about 30 minutes.

I know I use a lot of cardamom---I get it really cheap at a local east Indian store----they sell it in bulk. This bread freezes really well too. Enjoy!
Elaine