PDA

View Full Version : I need information about Johan Viktor Leonard Snellman

beaniebaby76
02-05-06, 22:10
I am looking for people who know something about the whereabouts of my grandfather and my greatgrandfather during the early 1900´s. My grandfather was Johan Viktor Leonard Snellman, born on May 15 1908 in Seattle, USA. He also had a sister named Alma, who lived in America. He came to Finland in 1913 and then returned to the U.S in 1923 or 1924, he came by boat to Halifax. We have facts that he lived and worked first in Chicago and then moved on to California. He worked the coalmines and also the goldmines. He finally came back to Finland for good in 1937. I would like to know if there might be relatives that we are not aware of, or if someone has some facts to where he has been in the U.S and what he has done there.

My greatgrandfather was Johan Richard Snellman, born on July 13 1872. He was married to Selma Josefina Andersson (or Sandbacka). They came from Finland. Richard went to the U.S in 1892 and his wife went to the U.S in 1906 or 1907, but they were not married then yet. They married in the U.S. They arrived by boat to Ellis Island and we have facts that they lived only in Seattle, a small place called Coarcreek or similar. Selma also had two brothers in America, Emil and Viktor Andersson. My greatgrandfather went back to Finland on several occasions and both him and Selma finally returned for good in 1913. I am also interested to find about more about them.

Denise
03-05-06, 01:13
Found on Ancestry

Boston Passenger List 1820-1943

Johan Snellman
Arrived: 17 August 1910
Estimated Birth: 1872
Ethnic background: Finnish
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship: Zeeland
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Jalmar Solon
Last Residence: Finland
Microfilm Roll # 153

Denise

beaniebaby76
04-05-06, 19:03
Hello.
Thank you for your information, however I am not sure that is my greatgrandfather. Finland belonged under Russia at the time when he went to the US, so I believe that it should say Russia under nationality and also I have no facts that he ever went from England to the US, but he went with at least "Bergensfjord" ship from Christiania, Norway. On the other hand he went to US on several occasions, also efter Finland became independent from Russia and I have no idea where he went from then, so it still might be possible. His name was Johan Richard Snellman, but he used the name Richard, as far as I know.

Thanks a million for your reply! :)

Anita

Denise
05-05-06, 14:28
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know his passenger record will not say Russian under ethnicity, even when under Russian rule. If he was Finnish, it will say Finland. There are few cases where it will say Russian/Finnish on the passenger list, but that is rare.

Denise

jeanette
06-05-06, 08:11
On the Scandinavians in the 1910 US federal Census Heads of Household Index I found 3 Snellmans in Washington State.
Surname,Given,Age,Sex,Race,Birthplace,County,Local ity,T624-Roll,Part,Page,Subpage,State
SNELLMAN,ALBERT,25,M,W,FIN,KING,1-WD SEATTLE,1658,1,40,B, WA
SNELLMAN,ALEX,31,M,W,FIN,PIERCE,STEILACOOM PCT,1665,2,84, B,WA
SNELLMAN,ALFRED,19,M,W,SWE,LINCOLN,S WILBUR PCT,1666,2, 102,B,WA

http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/emreg/index_e.php
Limited search results (passenger records)
Snellman Johan 27.05.1905
Snellman Johan 03.08.1910 * this date matches the trip which Denise posted that arrived in Boston.
Perhaps someone with access to the full search can give you more details.

At the Genealogical Society of Finland
Death Certificates of Finns in Thurston County, Washington, 1907-1947
SNELLMAN, ALBERT -- Age about 35, born in Finland. Died Sept. 22, 1919, Bordeaux, Wash.
Cause of death: crushed by a falling log. Single. Woodsman, Mason Co. Logging.
Father: John Snellman (b. Finland). Mother: Annie Matson (b. Finland).
Informant: Richard Snellman, Coal Creek, Wash. Burial Sept. 24, 1919, IOOF Cemetery, Olympia, Wash.

Jeanette

I noticed there is a town in Minnesota named Snellman.

beaniebaby76
06-05-06, 12:00
Hello Jeanette!
Thank you for your reply, it was most interesting. I just wonder who this Albert Snellman was, because it was no brother of my greatgrandfather. Perhaps a relative or a friend. You wrote INFORMANT: Richard Snellman etc..that is my greatgrandfather, but what does it mean when it says informant? Something else struck me..Richard was married to Selma Andersson, and she had two brothers, Emil and Victor, probably last name Andersson. Now one of them, if I remember correctly, it was Emil, he died in an accident, he was crushed by a falling log. I find that also interesting that this Albert Snellman also appearantly experienced the same death.
This is getting very interesting! :)

Denise
06-05-06, 14:01
Passport Information:
Last Name: Snellman
First Name: Johan
Age 38
Port of Departure: Hanko
Place of Destination: Fitchburg
State of Destination: MA
Country of Destination: USA
Price of Ticket: FIM 214
Ship from Finland: Titania
Date of Departure from Finland: 03.08.1910
Ship from England: Zeeland
Date of Departure from England: 09.08.1910
Ocean Line: White Star Line
Port of Departure from England: *
List and Page: 79/61
Remarks: Mk Anna ja Lempi Snellman
Turku! Hinta!

The information on Anna and Lempi's passport is the same except the ages.
Anna Snellman

Lempi Snellman

Denise
06-05-06, 14:08
First Name: Johan
Port of Departure: Hanko
Place of Destination: Washington
State of Destination: PA
Country of Destination: USA
Price of Ticket: FIM 250
Ship from Finland: Uranian
Date Of Departure From Finland: 27.05.1905
Ship from England: Hellig Olav
Date of Departure from England: 31.05.1905
Ocean Line: Skand American
Port of Departure fromEngland: *
List and Page: 40/81
Remarks: *

I'll check for passport information on them next.
Denise

Denise
06-05-06, 14:20
Hi,
Do you know where in Finland Johan Richard was from? and wife, Selma Andersson?

Denise

Denise
06-05-06, 14:38
Migration Institute

First Name: Johan Fredrik
Other Name: *
Date of Birth: 1871
Marital Status: 2
Religion: Lutheran
Home Parish: Turku
Province: TUR
Passport Date: 20.05.1905
Passport Number: 1952
Passport Valid: 5:0
Destination: Amerikka
Passport issued by: TUR
Remarks: sj Vaimo ja 1 lapsi

Denise

beaniebaby76
07-05-06, 13:29
Hello, Denise!

Thank you very much. As it now turned out, my greatgrandfather, Richard had a brother named Albert Snellman, so it was correct...and he did die under a falling log. His wife Selma, as I wrote, had 2 brothers, Victor and Emil and it was Victor that also died in an accident. He was a coalminer and dies under a falling rock. Both Richard and Selma came from ESSE, or it might say ESSE SN. or ESSE SOCKEN. It is up here in Ostrobothnia or it might say Österbotten. Appearantly Selmas full name was Selma Josefina Andersson OR Sandbacka OR Flinck, later she married Richard and became a Snellman. We are not sure which name she used when she went to America, was it Andersson, Flinck or Sandbacka. We think she might have travelled to the States with her brothers Victor and Emil or she might have gone with a friend.

Thank you!

beaniebaby76
07-05-06, 13:32
Originally posted by Denise
Migration Institute

First Name: Johan Fredrik
Other Name: *
Date of Birth: 1871
Marital Status: 2
Religion: Lutheran
Home Parish: Turku
Province: TUR
Passport Date: 20.05.1905
Passport Number: 1952
Passport Valid: 5:0
Destination: Amerikka
Passport issued by: TUR
Remarks: sj Vaimo ja 1 lapsi

Denise

Hello, Denise!

Thank you very much. As it now turned out, my greatgrandfather, Richard had a brother named Albert Snellman, so it was correct...and he did die under a falling log. His wife Selma, as I wrote, had 2 brothers, Victor and Emil and it was Victor that also died in an accident. He was a coalminer and dies under a falling rock. Both Richard and Selma came from ESSE, or it might say ESSE SN. or ESSE SOCKEN. It is up here in Ostrobothnia or it might say Österbotten. Appearantly Selmas full name was Selma Josefina Andersson OR Sandbacka OR Flinck, later she married Richard and became a Snellman. We are not sure which name she used when she went to America, was it Andersson, Flinck or Sandbacka. We think she might have travelled to the States with her brothers Victor and Emil or she might have gone with a friend.

Thank you!

Kerstin
07-05-06, 21:47
On the Boston Passenger list it says that the final destiny for Johan, Anna and their daughter Lempi is Fitchburg Massachusetts.
Their friends name is NOT Jalmar Solon, it says on the passanger list that it is Strother (can be brother too) Alexander Laaksonen
Venäjänkirkkokatu 30 . Turku

MVH Kerstin

Kerstin
07-05-06, 21:56
And I do not think that that is the right Johans family, because Anna and Lempi is still living in Fitchburg in 1920.

MVH Kerstin

beaniebaby76
08-05-06, 10:20
Hello, Kerstin!

Thank you, but my greatgrandfather was Johan Richard Snellman, and his father was also Johan Snellman, married to Anna Matsdotter or Anna Matson. They were both from Finland, and to my knowledge they never lived in the United States. Both Johan Richard and his father were born in Esse Sn. or Esse Socken and also Johan Richards mother Anna was born in Terjärv.

Anita