PDA

View Full Version : Tanskanen from Jääski ?

Denise
03-05-06, 05:24
Hello!
I am reposting my query on the Tanskanen name.
My great- grandfather's name was Henry Tanskanen, b.15 Jan. 1880. He immigrated in 1906, and ended up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. From his death record ( funeral home) it was stated that his father's name was Antti Tanskanen, and mother's name, Mary Karlenius (Carlenius). After much browsing on HisKi, I have come to the conclusion that he may have been from the Jääski area. Many given names of children of Tanskanen's in that area are the same as names my great-grandfather named his children. (ex. Saimi, Uno, Heikki/Henry). I would love some help on this one because this is all the info. I have on him. Thank-you in advance.

Denise :)

solja
12-05-06, 16:46
Maybe you have already checked this version of the name, searching with a string "Dansk" in Hiski?

For example from Kempele parish:

14.12.1823 Torp. Anders Danskanen Lisa 28 Anders

6.2.1826 Torp. Anders Danskanen Lisa Elisabeth

1.8.1828 Torp. Anders Danskanen Lisa Caisa

6.5.1831 Torp. Anders Danskanen Lisa 39 Johannes

23.10.1833 Torp. Anders Danskanen - 41 Maria

13.2.1837 Backst.m. Anders Danskanen Lisa 45 Brita

Regards,

-Solja

Art Fors
12-05-06, 19:30
Hello Denise,

I hope the following list of parishes of passenger named Tanskanen (destination "Amerika") from the Institute of Migration passport records is useful information.

Juuka
Polvijärvi
Pälkjärvi
Kuopion kaup.

Also here is a passport record for a Heikki Tanskanen.

Last name: Tanskanen
First name: Heikki
Other names: *
Date of birth: . .9999
Marital status: *
Religion: Lut.
Home parish: Pälkjärvi
Province: KUO
Passport date: 08.07.1908
Passport number: 218
Passport valid (year:month): 5:0
Destination: Amerikka
Passport issued by: KUO
Remarks: Ph isä Antti s. 1854.

Re: Institute of Migration passport record for Antti Tanskanen

First name: Antti
Date of birth: . .1854
Marital status: 2
Home parish Pälkjärvi
Remarks: Sp vmo Riitta ja 8 lasta.

Art

Denise
15-05-06, 02:40
Hi Solja,
My aunt also mentioned that it may have been "Danskanen" also. My great grandparents belonged to the Finnish Apostolic church in Calumet, Michigan but I've been told they are not helpful there, and won't let anyone check the records. I'm to understand they are all in Finnish. If I could get info. from the church, I'm sure all my questions would be answered. I'm going to keep trying!
Thank-you for your help. Have you ever heard of an area, farm, etc. called Tanska? My mother said her father told her that was where he was from.
P.S. Did the rest of the info. I resent you on your aunt's family come through O.K.?

Denise

Denise
15-05-06, 02:53
Hi Art,
Thank-you for your help. I have seen the Institute of Migration records on Antti, and Heikki Tanskanen. If only there was a birthdate on Heikki's. On the US Federal Census for 1930, Henry (Heikki) stated that he immigrated in 1906, and the Institute of Migration info. was 1908. It very well could be him, as dates are not always reliable on censuses. I guess Polvajärvi area would be a good place to start my search. I wish I had asked questions years ago when my grandmother was alive, but I wasn't into genealogy then! I'm sure many of us feel that way! Thank-you again; I appreciate it.
Well, is there anyone from Polvajärvi out there? :rolleyes:

P.S. You are an asset to this site, Art!

Denise

Denise
15-05-06, 02:56
Sorry! :eek: I meant Polvijärvi.

Denise

Art Fors
15-05-06, 04:13
Hello Denise,

Attached below is the WWI Draft Registration Card for Heikki Tanskanen.

Art

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 > Michigan > Houghton County > 3 > Draft Card T

harrysme
15-05-06, 18:30
I guess here is the father:

Juuka - kastetut

born baptised village father mother child
Syntynyt Kastettu Kylä Talo Isä Äiti Lapsi

23.2.1854 25.3.1854 Polvijärvi bd: Matts Danskanen Anna Danskanen 30 Anders

Best regards

Harry Smeds

harrysme
16-05-06, 12:39
This is a guess too, but it fits pretty well. Heikki may have been born in Juuka, Polvijärvi village and may not have the same mother as the younger children. I cannot check it now because the records of Juuka in Hiski end to year 1859. The other chidren seem to be born in Pälkjärvi:

Pälkjärvi - all

Christened

Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child

6.12.1884 6.1.1885 Iljala Nr.5 Tal. Antti Tanskanen Riitta Ruokolainen 23 Maria

original - KKSIVU: 53
28.11.1886 2.1.1887 Iljala Nr.5 Tal. Antti Tanskanen Riitta Ruokolainen 25 Iita

10.6.1888 8.7.1888 Iljala Nr.5 Tal. Antti Tanskanen Riitta Ruokolainen 27 Antti

original - KARJ:KASPP&KK: Kastepvm. merkitty yhtäläisyys merkein: Edellisen mukaan 8/7
12.5.1890 13.6.1890 Iljala Nr.5 Tal. Antti Tanskanen Riitta Ruokolainen 29 Heikki

27.7.1892 15.8.1892 Iljala Nr.5 talollinen Antti Tanskanen v. Riitta Ruokolainen 31 Hanna

original - KKSIVU: 52
12.3.1894 26.3.1894 Tal. Antti Tanskanen v. Brita 30-35 Hilja

26.12.1895 26.2.1896 Iljala Nr.5 Tal. Antti Tanskanen v. Brita 30-35 Anna

23.12.1897 23.1.1898 Tal. Antti Tanskanen v. Priita Ruokolainen 35-40 Santeri

Best regards
Harry Smeds

Denise
16-05-06, 20:19
Hi Harry,
I also checked out HisKi but wasn't sure this was Heikki's parents, because of the mother's name being different than what I found from the funeral home Henry was buried through. I wish HisKi had records for the 1880's, and then maybe I would know for sure that this Antti is his father. Thank-you so much for all of your help. I truly appreciate it.

Denise

harrysme
17-05-06, 09:50
Re: Institute of Migration passport record for Antti Tanskanen

First name: Antti
Date of birth: . .1854
Marital status: 2
Home parish Pälkjärvi
Remarks: Sp vmo Riitta ja 8 lasta.

Denise

Did you notice, that in the record above last line is "vmo Riitta ja 8 lasta" = wife Riitta and 8 children. I think Antti was married for second time.

I may check the case when I visit the National Archive next time.

Harry

Denise
21-05-06, 06:06
Hi Harry,
Yes, Antti must have married twice. Thank-you for your help, and I would appreciate it if you could check further for me when you get a chance. You've been very helpful! :)

Thank-you,
Denise

Denise
22-05-06, 06:16
Hi Art,
Yes, that is my great grandfather, Henry Tanskanen on the WW1 Draft Registration Card. The birthdate on that is probably correct, rather than the one the funeral home had for him (the 16th).
Thank-you for all of your help. It is truly appreciated! :)

Denise

harrysme
21-06-06, 15:00
Denis

I did a short visit to the National Archive to see if I can find an easy solution to the question about Heikki Tanskanen.

At the communionbook of Pälkjärvi (years 1881-90) I found Antti Tanskanen, born 4.2.1854 in Ilomantsi and his wife Riitta Ruokolainen, born 2.2.1861 in Ilomantsi. They had came from Ilomantsi 26.4.1883. They had with them from Ilomantsi one child, I forgot the name (Enoch, b 1883 ?), but it was not Heikki.

I did not find Heikki in the books of christened children in Juuka, Pälkjärvi or Polvijärvi.

The only thing that I can imagine is, that Heikki stayed with the relatives of his mother (where ?!!) and joined his father later.

I may return to the case in the autumn.

Harry

Denise
29-06-06, 22:57
Hi Harry,
I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner; been very busy at work. Thank-you for the information on Antti Tanskanen, and hopefully this information will lead to more clues about Heikki. I appreciate all of your help.
Sincerely,
Denise

pekkatan
11-08-06, 10:04
Hi everyone ! Greetings from Kuopio in central Finland.
I have a special reason to be intrested of this search because this Heikki Tanskanen who was born in 1890 was my grandfathers (Hemminki Tanskanen, b.22.05.1901) older brother.

I'm sorry to say but i have strong doubts that this Heikki is not the one that Denise is looking for.

Denise says that his great grandfather was born in 1880. Antti's and Riitta's son Heikki was born in 1890.

So...would it be possible that Riitta was Antti's second wife and Antti and Mary had had a son called Heikki ? I spoke to my father, Hemmo Tanskanen who was born in 1938 and he didn't remember that his father Hemminki would have ever mentioned that Hemmo's grandfather Antti (Hemminki's and Heikki's father) would have been married before and that Hemminki would have halfbrother(s)/sister(s).

Sorry...can't help Denise more but i thought that you should know these facts before you put much effort to this search.

I'll give you more information if i can find something.

Pekka Tanskanen

Denise
12-08-06, 04:57
Hello Pekka,
Thank-you for your input to my query on the Tanskanen name. As I've previously stated, I know very little about my great grandfather, and have no clue where his family was from in Finland. Thank-you for steering me in a different direction, and I would appreciate it if you could fill me in on the Tanskanen family you are a part of, and what you know. "Tanskanen" doesn't seem to be a very common name, and I'm curious if there may be a connection there anyway. Again thank-you for the information you have provided.
Sincerely,
Denise

harrysme
14-08-06, 20:36
Pekka

I got intetested about this Tanskanen case and have tried to solve it with no result yet.

What do you know about your grandfather and his parents ? Did they emigrate to America ? In that case did part of the family came back ? Was Antti Tanskanen born in Ilomantsi as the communion books of Pälkjärvi say ?

By the way there are about 3000 Tanskanen in Finland, so its is not so rare name either.

Harry

pekkatan
15-08-06, 00:24
Hi Harry.

I’ve also tried to solve this case…for some reason this seems to be a tough one, you know what I mean. Ok, to be honest…I’m not very experienced in genealogy-things…as usual, I got intrested about them long after my grandfather died but hey…I don’t seem to be the only one, am I ?

As I said earlier my grandfather was Hemminki Tanskanen who was born 22.05.1901 in Pälkjärvi. Hemminki’s wife was Irja Martta Holopainen, born 06.03.1907 in Sortavala. I can’t be 100 % sure about if my great- grandfather ever left to America, I did found that passport info which was also in your previous message and I was even able to find that Hemminki Tanskanen had his passport and the record show’s that they were leaving to America. But…when I spoke to my father who was born 05.04.1938 in Harlu he didn’t know anything about this passport or America – thing. I still have to speak to my older brother about this…you see, for some reason our grandfather told some old things to my brother rather than to our father, don’t know why.
My grandfather’s father was Antti Tanskanen / Anders Danskanen and he was born in 04.02.1854 in Ilomantsi, Maukkula and his wife was Riitta/Priita Juhontytär Ruokolainen who was born 02.02.1861. While they lived in Ilomantsi they had one child, Juho Nestori, who was born in 23.02.1883.
Antti’s father was Pekka Tanskanen / Petter Danskain / Pehr Danskanen who was born 12.12.1816 ( 150 years and 5 days before me and had same name as I do.) Pekka died in 02.08.1882. Pekka was from Ilomantsi, Maukkula nro 7 and his wife, Maria Heinonen (b.05.03.1817/d.13.03.1859) was from Ilomantsi, Maukkula nro 4.
If you happen to have any information about my ancestors I would be happy to hear it.

Pekka Tanskanen, Siilinjärvi

harrysme
01-09-06, 15:37
Ilomantsin rippikirjasta tarkistettuna on Antti Tanskanen s. 04.02.1854 Ilomantsi, Maukkula n:o 7
vihitty 27.6.1880 Riitta Ruokolaisen s. 02.02.1861 kanssa. Antilla ei ole rippikirjoissa muita merkintöjä
lastenkirjasta siirtymisen jälkeen Maukkula 7:ssä kuin vihkiminen Riitta Ruokolaisen kanssa ja lähtömerkintä
Pälkjärvelle 26.04.1883.

Lastenkirjasta parille Antti ja Riitta löytyy merkintä lapsesta
Ida Maria s. 30.3.1881 Maukkula, kuoli 3.1.1882

Ilomantsin syntyneistä ei löydy ketään Heikki Tanskasta s. 1880.

Pälkjärven kastetuissa Hiskistä löytyy Heikki, mutta s. 1890
ja alla koko lapsilauma Pälkjärvellä.

Denise

We had some discussion about Tanskanen family at a discussion board of researchers of Karelian families. I got an answerb as above. In Englis it is about:

" In Ilomantsi communion book is Antti Tanskanen, born 4.2.1854 in Ilomantsi, Maukkula number 7, married 27.6.1880 to Riitta Ruokolainen, born 2.2.1861. There are no other remarks about Antti except marriage with Riitta Ruokolainen and immigration to Pälkjärvi 26.4.1883.

In the book of children the couple has a remark about a child Ida Maria, born 30.3.1881 Maukkula, died 3.1.1882.

In Ilomantsi was none Heikki Tanskanen born year 1880.

In Pälkjärvi was one of the chidren named Heikki, born 1890."

So the only thing I can imagine is, that Heikki Tanskanen and Mary Karlin had a son Heikki, but were never married to each other. But even in that case the thing was kept in secret unusually well. Otherwise we are studying wrong persons.

With best regards, Harry Smeds

Denise
06-09-06, 13:38
Hi Harry,
Thank-you for researching further on Henry Tanskanen. I have a feeling it is the wrong person with what information I have regarding his birthdate and the name of his mother on his funeral records here in the States. I'm hoping to get information from the church he belonged to in Michigan, and maybe that will provide more clues. Thank-you for all the time spent researching for me. I truly appreciate your help.
Sincerely,
Denise

Denise
30-11-06, 04:50
Hi,
Just talked with my mother, and she has been in touch with the Apostolic Lutheran Church in Calumet, Michigan where her father and grandparents were members. They have agreed to research the Tanskanen name for her, and give her copies of all information pertaining to her father's family, Tanskanen! I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully it provides some clues! Thank-you again to all the wonderful members on Finlander Forum!

Sincerely,
Denise :D

Henry Tanskanen
23-08-17, 03:39
Hello Denise and all,
My name is Henry Frederick Tanskanen,

I think I am related to you. My Dad's name was Pauli Tanskanen and he was born in kuhnusta from Sauli and Saimi Tanskanen.
Brothers of his Otto Esko and Hannu. Pauli was born in 1934-1977. Died in Prince George British Columbia Canada. Imigrated to Canada on Stephan Battory leaving Southhamton. 1958 0r 1959?
Familly Cemetary is in Jukka. I would like to know how we are related and how to get information about ancestors burried in Juuka the familly resting place. Lutheran church. Saimi's maiden name was Peebo, we think from Estonia, perhaps Peebo Estonia. When did hes ancestors come to Khunusta and area?
Please let me know anything at all as we know very little about our past.
I feel lucky to have found this Post!
Anyone answer back please.

From Heikki, Henry Tanskanen

adfsparky
23-08-17, 17:43
Hi Henry Tanskanen,

Very interesting. I have found the Tanskanen line very difficult to follow, and have no information on your Tanskanen line. Family stories have been told that there was a relative of my Tanskanen line that were in Alaska, and engineered the first airstrip there, but I have been unable to find further proof in my research. Have you heard the same story?

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
23-08-17, 20:58
Cousin Denise,
Welcome back. It's been ages since we heard from you. It's good to see you here again.
Karen

adfsparky
24-08-17, 03:33
Hi cousin Karen. Yes, it's been awhile. Hope you are doing well.