PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma County

nikus
05-05-06, 09:55
Hello all!
I am working on emigrant letters. One of them was written in 1879 in Fysks Mills (Fyks Wells?) Sonoma County, CA.
Can anybody tell me the correct name of the place?
Thanks!
Torbjörn

MarcyJohnson
05-05-06, 10:21
Hello...I live only 40 miles from Sonoma and will be going there next weekend for dinner. I will see what I can find, do you have any other information?

Marcy

nikus
05-05-06, 10:28
Most of the letters came from Gualala, some from Timber Cove and San Francisco, one from Salt Point and one from the place I can´t figure out.
Thanks!
Torbjörn

MarcyJohnson
05-05-06, 10:31
It is an area near the ocean, and all the places you listed are near there. Very beautiful countryside. I found this.

FISK'S MILL

is situated three miles north of Salt Point. It was first occupied and used as a shipping point by J. C. Fisk, from whom the post-office takes its name. The place is now owned by F. M. Helmke, who has a beautiful home there by the sea. Mr. Helmke keeps the place in excellent order. His mill, which formerly stood here, has been moved higher up the coast. From this point a large amount of cord-wood, tan-bark, etc., is shipped. There is a post and express office at this place.

MarcyJohnson
05-05-06, 10:35
This website gives a bit more information. Let me know if you need more information, I am very close and love to drive that area.

Marcy

mljclayton*yahoo.com

MarcyJohnson
05-05-06, 10:37
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/ca/yolo/bios/fisk882nbs.txt

Forgot to post the link!!

nikus
05-05-06, 13:14
Thank you Marcy!
The link gave me all the information I could think of.
Torbjörn