PDA

View Full Version : Wasili Remsu, Born December 12, 1877 in Korsnäs, Finland

Paul Dahlin
22-05-06, 18:01
Greetings... I am looking for assistance in finding any relatives or information pertaining to my brother-in-law's great grandfather Wasili Remsu, born December 12, 1877 in Korsnäs, Finland. He had a daughter Annie who married a man by the name of Hallin. Annie and her husband emigrated to Canada.

Wasili Remsu followed Annie to Canada in 1927 (a copy of his passport is attached).

It has been suggested that Wasili's family may have originated in the East Carelia area near the Russian border: however, that would only be a guess.

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Art Fors
22-05-06, 21:25
Hello Paul,

Here is a list of all Remsu passengers that I found at (Library and Archives Canada) ArchiviaNet (http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011802_e.html)

Immigration Records (1925-1935)

Surname: Remsu
Given name: Wasili
Sex: M
Nationality: Fi
Date of arrival: 1927/05/29 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Halifax , Nova Scotia
Ship: STOCKHOLM , Swedish American
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-b
Volume: 1927 volume 10
Page: 8
Microfilm reel: T-14810

Given name: Anna
Sex: F
Date of arrival: 1926/04/05 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Volume: 1926 volume 4
Page: 139
Microfilm reel: T-14804

Given name: Georg
Date of arrival: 1926/04/05 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Volume: 1926 volume 4
Page: 139
Microfilm reel: T-14804

Here is a list of all the Hallin passengers.

Immigration Records (1925-1935)

Surname: Hallin
Given name: Zacaria
Nationality: Swe
Date of arrival: 1926/10/30 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec
Ship: MONTROYAL , Canadian Pacific
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Volume: 1926 volume 22
Page: 192
Microfilm reel: T-14729

Given name: Hans
Date of arrival: 1929/03/17 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Ship: DROTTNINGHOLM , Swedish American
Volume: 1929 volume 4
Page: 155
Microfilm reel: T-14818

Given name: Johan H. A.
Date of arrival: 1929/05/11 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Ship: HELLIG OLAV , Scandinavian American
Volume: 1929 volume 10
Page: 137
Microfilm reel: T-14820

Given name: Nils Oscar
Date of arrival: 1929/07/26 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec
Ship: LAURENTIC , White Star
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a
Volume: 1929 volume 16
Page: 147
Microfilm reel: T-14756

If Annie was married after she arrived in Canada (1926) then Hans Hallin, Johan H. A. Hallin or Nils Oscar Hallin may be her husband.

Art

cdahlin
22-05-06, 21:45
Hello!

I noticed that Henrik Mangs and Ulla Berglund had Remsujeff in their databases. Not this person, but their origin was from East Carelia. Could you perhaps check whether this Wasili (Vasilij?) Remsu (Remsujeff?) was related. Or could perhaps Kaj Granlund have some information about this. Kaj was born in this region, I know.

At the end of 1800´s we had a lot of those so called "laukkuryssar" (bag-russians) in Finland. They were Russian men walking from village to village selling all kinds of stuff to people. They were often from Carelia, so my suggestion is that Wasili came from such a family.

Christian Dahlin

Paul Dahlin
25-05-06, 16:15
Hello Art... thank you for your quick response and excellent results!! Anna was Wasili's daughter and we originally had estimated her date of arrival in Canada incorrectly.

Subsequent to my original posting, and thanks to your research, we discovered that Georg was Anna's brother. We also received a private e-mail from that side of the family that was able to provide a substantial amount of information.

Anna's husband was Eric Hallin from Sundsvall,Sweden. I'll start working on his background next.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Paul

Paul Dahlin
25-05-06, 16:34
Hello Christian... you were absolutely correct in your deductions.

We have now confirmed that Wasili Remsu was born in Vuokkiniemi, East Carelia, was sent by his parents to live with relatives in Vora/Voeraa about 1881, then moved to Ylistaro where he started his family and finally settled in Korsnäs before emigrating to Canada.

Again, thanks to you and Art for your assistance. My brother-in-law is ecstatic with the results of your efforts!!

Paul

cdahlin
26-05-06, 15:07
Hello again Paul!

Nice to hear that we are on the right trail! In this case I am sure that Vladimir Remsujeff is the brother of Vasilij. He was born in Vuokkineimi, East Carelia and he seemed to be living in Jalasjärvi (not so very far from Ylistaro). He married a woman Ehrsfolk-Gullans (b. 1879) in Närpes. All this due to Henrik Mangs information on Talko Genealogy.

There are also living individuals named Remsu in Korsnäs today, so you seem to have relatives to your brother-in-law here too! This information can't be confirmed by me just now, but it should be possible to do so.

Christian

:cool: