PDA

View Full Version : Karelian pies

mkasprzak
22-06-06, 13:33
Hello,
Does anyone have any favourite recipes for Karelian pies? (Karjalan piirakka).
I like the potato ones but recipes for the rice ones are also welcome!
Thanks very much in advance!
Michelle

mkasprzak
22-06-06, 15:44
There seems to be a good recipe at Recipezaar:
http://www.recipezaar.com/136480
...but if anyone has any personal variations they want to share, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks
Michelle

June Pelo
22-06-06, 20:22
When I have visited my Finnish relatives, they made them with rice. Here is the filling recipe - I assume the pastry is made the same no matter what the filling is:

l c rice (not converted rice)
2 c water
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 c milk
3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

Wash rice in cold water. Combine water, butter and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and add the rice. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Cook until rice is tender. Fold eggs into rice.

As soon as the pasties are baked, they are dipped into buttered water:
Combine 1 c boiling water and 6 tbsp butter. Dip pasties while still hot and place on kitchen towel; wrap and let stand 15 minutes. Spread with butter and eat while warm. Pasties can also be filled with mashed potatoes or medium barley. The barley should be cooked the same as the rice above.

My relatives said that they also dip cooked potatoes into this butter and water mixture and they said this was customary when my father was a little boy growing up in Finland. I remember as a child that we had bowls of butter and water in which we dipped our fork with a bite of potato while eating.

June

mkasprzak
22-06-06, 20:26
Thanks so much for the info, June! I will definitely try your filling recipe.
Cheers,
Michelle