PDA

View Full Version : Emigrants from Terjärv

Leo Furu
06-07-06, 08:50
A new book about emigrants from Terjärv have been publish this summer.
The book is written by Ole Granholm and Hilding Widjeskog.
More information in swedish here http://www.loffe.net/content/view/1093/59/

Leo

June Pelo
06-07-06, 17:51
Ole Granholm said he would send me a copy of the book when it is published, as a "thank you" for letting him use some of my articles. I look forward to receiving it. Ole is also sending me a copy of his book about Fritiof Slotte which will be released this week. He was known as Åback-Fritti and I calculated that he and I are related in many ways - there were many marriages between my father's family and the Slotte family.

June

June Pelo
24-07-06, 17:20
Here is a little review in English of the new book "Emigrantvägar" by Hilding Widjeskog and Ole Granholm.

A far-reaching emigration from Finland to America occurred at the end of the 1800s and beginning of the 1900s, particularly from the Swedish-speaking parts of Ostrobothnia. The emigrants sought the areas where family and friends lived. The largest group of Finland's Swedes from Åland, Närpes and Terjärv lived in New York.

Social contact played a big part in emigrant lives and the need for associations and congregations entered the picture. The Pilgrim congregation in Bronx, New York was founded in 1919 and most of the first members came from Terjärv.

What was so special about America? What was it that lured 340,000 Finlanders to set out to a new land? In America they found something of vital importance for most, namely hope for something better. This hope could be realized in the new land of America.

Documentation of the emigrant's lives and interest in genealogy is of great significance. The fate of many Terjärv emigrants is unknown and contact with their descendants has been lost. The desire to make contact with American and Ostrobothnian family branches has never been so great as now. The book "Emigrantvägar" is witness of this.

Here are some of the names mentioned in the book:
Ahlkvist, Björkbacka/Björk, Byskata, Byström, Fallbacka, Holm, Granvik, Hedlund, Jansson, Lappinen, Manderbacka, Nyberg, Sandkulla, Sandvik, Storbacka, Strand, Svartsjö, Wickman, Widjeskog, Wistbacka.

The book was printed by Oy Fram Ab, Vasa 2006, ISBN 952-92-0452-3
June

socar
28-08-06, 23:04
June,
On Friday I received a copy of EMIGRANTVÄGAR from my 2d cousin Ole. I visited him and Hilding on my trip to Finland in 2004.

You made a major contribution with your translations. Many of the people mentioned in the book were friends of my parents. In May I attended Hilding's brother Elis' widow's 85th birthday.

Would you do me a favor and translate the sentences in italics from Norden on on page 175 for me. I grew up participating for nearly 15 years in the activities of the Normandia Club. Looks like an "obiturary" for it.

Thanks,
Carl Lillvik

June Pelo
31-08-06, 01:24
Carl,

I sent you an e-mail with the translation. Hope it arrived OK.

June

socar
31-08-06, 06:44
I didn't get the email. If you had my email in your address book it has changed to cvlillvik*verizon.net. Thanks for the help - looking forward to seeing the translation.

socar
01-09-06, 06:24
June
Got the email and the other interesting information. Thanks

syrene
23-09-06, 17:00
Ole Granholm sent copies of the Emigrantvägar to SFHS with us, so the postage could be reduced. The books have just arrived. If there are any of you who would like to purchase a copy, you can contact

June Smith, treasurer
The Swedish Finn Historical Society
<sfhs*qwest.net>

It is a fascinating collection of brief essays, some 130 persons I believe, written in Swedish but with at least 8 in English. Additionally a large number of photographs accompany the articles. Hilding Vidjeskog had collected letters written home to Terjärv since his return. He has hundreds and hundreds. There is probably still enough to write a second book.

Syrene

Boris
27-12-09, 19:41
Helny Xenia Andersdotter Svartsjö 17.06.1899 Teerijärvi ?:mad:
Here is a little review in English of the new book "Emigrantvägar" by Hilding Widjeskog and Ole Granholm.

A far-reaching emigration from Finland to America occurred at the end of the 1800s and beginning of the 1900s, particularly from the Swedish-speaking parts of Ostrobothnia. The emigrants sought the areas where family and friends lived. The largest group of Finland's Swedes from Åland, Närpes and Terjärv lived in New York.

Social contact played a big part in emigrant lives and the need for associations and congregations entered the picture. The Pilgrim congregation in Bronx, New York was founded in 1919 and most of the first members came from Terjärv.

What was so special about America? What was it that lured 340,000 Finlanders to set out to a new land? In America they found something of vital importance for most, namely hope for something better. This hope could be realized in the new land of America.

Documentation of the emigrant's lives and interest in genealogy is of great significance. The fate of many Terjärv emigrants is unknown and contact with their descendants has been lost. The desire to make contact with American and Ostrobothnian family branches has never been so great as now. The book "Emigrantvägar" is witness of this.

Here are some of the names mentioned in the book:
Ahlkvist, Björkbacka/Björk, Byskata, Byström, Fallbacka, Holm, Granvik, Hedlund, Jansson, Lappinen, Manderbacka, Nyberg, Sandkulla, Sandvik, Storbacka, Strand, Svartsjö, Wickman, Widjeskog, Wistbacka.

The book was printed by Oy Fram Ab, Vasa 2006, ISBN 952-92-0452-3
June

June Pelo
28-12-09, 02:32
I have that book at home and probably have some of the data in my database, but can't check it out until after I return home in the middle of the week.

thomaserichunt
14-03-10, 04:08
I have Storbacka, Widjeskog, and Svartsjo in my tree, FYI.

June Pelo
14-03-10, 15:19
There are many people in the US who are descendants of emigrants from Terjärv and have names such as Storbacka, Widjeskog and Svartsjö in their family line. If you are looking for information about anyone from Terjärv, post a query and perhaps one of us can help.