PDA

View Full Version : Törnqvist

June Pelo
01-09-06, 20:49
I have a request for help finding information on Karl Törnqvist, b. 1832 in Karleby/Kokkola. He sailed to California 1855 and was a gold prospector. He returned to Finland and married a woman named Helena, from Karleby, in 1860. They returned to California and opened a hotel. Karl invested in real estate in San Francisco and Oakland. He died 1911 and Helena died before that. They had no children, but there was a foster daughter Olga Boman, who inherited Karl's large estate. Someone is seeking information about Helena's death date, place and cause of death, as well as a photo of Karl and Helena. Any information is welcome.

June

debbiesantelli
04-09-06, 00:03
Not so lucky -- yet, June. I see Olga Boman and I hope it might help me find Helena's death information IF they lived near one another. Considering she was a foster daughter, it isn't easy:

Name: BOMAN, OLGA CAROLINA
Social Security #: 0
Sex: FEMALE
Birth Date: 4 May 1859
BirthPlace: OTHER COUNTRY
Death Date: 9 Aug 1946
Death Place: ALAMEDA
Mother's Maiden Name: HOK
Father's Surname: BOMAN

Continuing to search.

Debbie

socar
04-09-06, 06:52
June..
This is from the 1910 Census Oakland, CA 18 Apr 1910
Thornquist, Charles, age 78, married 48 years, no children, born Russia Finland, arrived US 1855, Naturalized. Occupation - Own income.

Thornquist, Bertha, H. wife, age 74, married 48 years, no children born Russia, Finland, arrived US 1860

Boman, Olga C. servant, age 50, single born Russia, Finland, arrived US 1876, occupation Nurse, employed by private family

Address 1664 19th Avenue Oakland, CA

That's the best I can do.

debbiesantelli
04-09-06, 10:02
I still haven't found any death date for Helena. She and Karl/Charles also appear on the 1880 Census in Oakland (Alameda County), California:

1880 United States Federal Census Record

Name: Helen Thornquist
Home in 1880: Oakland, Alameda, California
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
BirthPlace: FINDLAND
Relation to head-of-household: Wife
Spouses's Name: Charles
Father's birthplace: FINDLAND
Mother's birthplace: FINDLAND
Marital status: Married
Race: White

I imagine this is due to some odd spelling...

Debbie

Name: Charles Thornquist
Home in 1880: Oakland, Alameda, California
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1832
BirthPlace: FINDLAND
Relation to head-of-household: Self
Spouses's Name: Helen
Father's birthplace: FINDLAND
Mother's birthplace: FINDLAND
Marital status: Married
Race: White

June Pelo
04-09-06, 18:18
Thanks, Debbie and Carl. I can see that the names have been "Americanized". Carl Törnqvist/Charles Thornquist was supposedly well-to-do from his gold mining and real estate ventures in California, but I haven't found anything about him online.

June

socar
05-09-06, 07:08
June...
October 1877 New York passenger list for the Pommerania lists Charles Thornquist age 45 with an occupation as captain. His wife Helena age 41 accompanies him.

Examining the 1880 census for his occupation could be read as master mariner.

October 1889 New York passenger list for the Wieland lists "Captain Chas Thornquist" age 52, occupation captain, United States citizen, starting place Oakland. But the age is off by 5 years.

If Chas Thornquist was a wealthy man and left everything to Olga Boman - why at age 70 was she living by herself and paying $30 a month rent for a house. She also did not have a radio...according to the 1930 census.

June Pelo
05-09-06, 17:04
Thanks, Carl. Yes, the story of wealth seems strange, but that's evidently the impression someone in Finland has. Guess we'll never know..

June

debbiesantelli
06-09-06, 09:11
The 1910 census shows that BERTHA and CHARLES were married 48 years...could it be possible that BERTHA and HELEN(A) are one and the same????

Debbie

Karen Norwillo
06-09-06, 18:17
June,
On Ancestry, I found Chas and Helen Tornquist arriving in NY 2 Nov 1860 on the SS Hammonia from Hamburg and Southampton. He is 29, she is 24.
Karen

June Pelo
06-09-06, 18:57
Thanks, Debbie and Karen. Her name was Brita Lena so I guess that got changed to Bertha and Helena. They married in Finland in Sep. 1860, so that trip Karen found in Nov. 1860 must have been when they moved to the US.

Debbie has found later trips for them in 1877 and 1889, so it seems they traveled back to Finland from time to time. The manifests show him as a captain - but I have no idea what that could mean. And they traveled cabin class, so he didn't spend his "wealth" on tickets! I'm trying to find out more about him from Finland.

June