PDA

View Full Version : Hanson - Mattson

June Pelo
14-09-06, 21:02
I have another request for help as follows:

My mothers aunt went to USA on 11/11 1903 to
Michigan, Ironwood. Her name was Johanna Mattson, born 28/10 1885, died 5/2 1928 in Ironwood.
In the papers we got she called herself Hanna.
The last we heard from her was when my grandfather got a paper from a advokatoffice. There they told us about her death and that she had two sons. Carl Hanson who was born in 1908 and Arthur John Hanson, born in 1911. They didnīt have the same last name as Johanna. They had her maiden name. She was married to a Viktor Mattson from Pedersöre in Finland but I donīt think he was the father to the boys. This is so sad. She left Finland, my mother and my aunts said, because she was expecting a child and they didnīt like it at home. So my mum said that they never spoke about her and they couldnīt ask either. So she just wrote home sometimes, not often. I have been trying to look for her for many years, but not found out much.

It's a sad story, and I don't know if anyone can help her, but I'll send her whatever anyone can find.

June

Denise
14-09-06, 21:29
Hi June,
This is what I found so far on Ancestry.

Denise

Discover Your Family Story1920 United States Federal Census Record
Name: Vislor Mattson
[Victor Mattson]
Home in 1920: Ironwood Ward 7, Gogebic, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
[abt 1879]
BirthPlace: Finland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Hanna
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Marital status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of immigration: 1896
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 473
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Vislor Mattson 48
Hanna Mattson 34
Axel Mattson 13
Carl Mattson 12
Arthur Mattson 9
Axel Johnson 34
Fred Lindeman 42
Fred Carlson 24
Otto Daurnman 33
Axel Lindberg 41

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Ironwood Ward 7, Gogebic, Michigan; Roll: T625_767; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 105; Image: 473.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2005. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA.

Note: Enumeration Districts 819-839 on roll 323 (Chicago City. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Fourteenth Census of the United States, 1920. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1920. T625, 2,076 rolls.

Description:
This database is an index to individuals enumerated in the 1920 United States Federal Census, the Fourteenth Census of the United States. It includes all states and territories, as well as Military and Naval Forces, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, and the Panama Canal Zone. The census provides many details about individuals and families including: name, gender, age, birthplace, year of immigration, mother tongue, and parents’ birthplaces. In addition, the names of those listed on the population schedule are linked to actual images of the 1920 Federal Census.

Copyright Đ 1998-2006, MyFamily.com Inc.
<< Return to Results Screen

Denise
14-09-06, 21:30
Hi June,
P.S. Victor was a miner in an iron mine.

Denise

June Pelo
14-09-06, 22:00
Thanks, Denise.

That appears to be the family - looks like they rented rooms to boarders - probably miners, too. Well, now we know where Hanna was in 1920. It's possible her sons are still living - somewhere - and they used the Mattson name, not Hanson.

June

Alicia
29-09-06, 19:24
Hi June,
This is her obit.

You are here: Search > Ironwood Daily Globe (Ironwood, Michigan) > 1928 > February > 8 > 10
Mrs Victor Mattson
The funeral of Mrs Victor Mattson 42 year old resident who died Sunday morning after a long illness wtih thyroid trouble, was held here Tuesday afternoon. Services were held at the Erick Rhenlund home , 454 East Oak Street at 1;30 and at the Swedish Zion Lutheran Church at 2.
The Rev. F. E. Kastman of Bessemer officiated. Burial at Riverside Cemetery.
Pall bearers were Erick Rhenlund, Axel Rhenlund, Swan Swanson, John Bergman, Erick Nyman, Carl Sjolund. Flower carriers were Mrs Swan Swanson, Mrs Soderholm, Mrs Victor Wickman, and Mrs Ed Wicklund, . Mrs Fred Josephson.

Ironwood Daily Globe (Ironwood, Michigan) > 1928 > February > 6
Matron dies ater being Ill Three years
Mrs Victor Mattson, 42 is stricken at home here Sunday morning
A disease of the thyroid gland, with which she had been suffering for the past 3 years, caused the death of Mrs Victor Mattson at 10 o'clock Sunday morning at the family home at 453 East Oak St.
Mrs Mattson was born in Finland Oct 28, 1885. She came to Ironwood 20 years ago and had lived here ever since. She is survived by her husband, and two sons, John and Carl Hanson of this city and a step son Axel Mattson who is living in Illinois.
The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon with services at the Erick Rhenlund home, 454 East Oak St. at 1;30 and at the Swedish Zion Lutheran chuch at 2 . The Rev. F. E. W. Kastman will officiate. Burial at the Riverside cemetery.
I had an email from Carina Sand in Finland and she too was looking for her.
Alicia

June Pelo
29-09-06, 20:32
Thanks, Alicia. Glad to see that you're back with us after your summer camping.

June