PDA

View Full Version : Rantala - Mattson

June Pelo
06-11-06, 21:29
I have a request for help as follows:

Great grandfather Matti left Finland in 1887. I found him and "Catherine" (Kaisa) in Gloucester, Massachusetts in the 1900 census, along with
Mathias and Ida. He had been in America since 1896, he was an alien, working as a paving cutter, lived in a rental house, had three men boarders,
could read, could write, not speak the language.
The name he used was Matt Mattson b. Feb 1845.
"Catherine" was listed as his wife, b. May 1851 Married for 25 yrs., She had 5 children born to her but only 4 living, she arrived in 1899, could read, could write, not speak the language.

- Mathias, son, b. Oct. 1878, 21 yrs. old, single, arrived in 1898, an alien, working as a paving cutter, read, write, not speak the language.
- Ida, daughter, b. Aug 1886, 13 yrs. old, arrived 1899, read, write not speak language.
The three boarders were Matt Rantala, Solomon Hautamaki and Isaac Erkkali (Erkkila).
The mystery is this; Where was Matti between 1887 and 1896? At what port did he arrive? When? What was he doing? Where did he die? Manistee, Mi. has no death certificate for him!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

June

Denise
07-11-06, 02:28
Hi,
I'm a bit confused as to why death records would be in Michigan if they lived in Massachusetts. Did they move there at one point?
Also I would have to guess Matti came in at the port of Boston, Massachusetts, and maybe lived as a boarder himself.

Denise

June Pelo
08-11-06, 21:32
Denise,

I tried to find out more and was told in 1896 he was in America. They moved to Fitchberg, Worcestor, Ma. and then to Washington state. By 1910 census, was settled in Kaleva, Michigan. Daughter Ida married Emil Toivonen and remained in
Everett, Wa. and had a family there.

I don't know why Manistee was mentioned.

Thanks.

June

Denise
08-11-06, 23:00
Hi June,
Here is a start on Ida Toivonen and husband Emil in Washington State.

Denise
1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Ida Toivonen
Home in 1920: Riverview, Snohomish, Washington
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Finland
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's name: Emil
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of Immigration: 1899
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 802
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Emil Toivonen 37
Ida Toivonen 33
Laila I Toivonen 11
Mina Toivonen 8
Arthur Toivonen 6
Neil Toivonen 3 5/12

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Riverview, Snohomish, Washington; Roll: T625_1939; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 191; Image: 802.

Denise
08-11-06, 23:03
Hi June,
Here is the 1930 Census on Ida and Emil Toivonen.

Denise

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Ida Toivonen
Home in 1930: Riverview, Snohomish, Washington
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Spouse's name: Emil

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Emil Toivonen 48
Ida Toivonen 44
Laila Toivonen 21
Nina Toivonen 19
Arthur Toivonen 16
Nillo Toivonen 13
William Toivonen 9

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Riverview, Snohomish, Washington; Roll: 2520; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 111; Image: 277.0.

Denise
08-11-06, 23:06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Washington State Birth Records

Parent: Emil Toivonen
Name: Emil Toivonen Jr.
Parent: Ida
Birth Date: 30 Sep 1913
Sex: M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denise

Denise
08-11-06, 23:08
United States Obituary Collection
Name of Deceased: Laila Wicklund
Age at Death: 96
Birth Date: 16 Nov 1908
Death Date: abt 2004
Newspaper Title: Herald, The
Newspaper Location: Everett, Washington, United States
Obituary Publication Date: 11 Jan 2005
Locations Mentioned in Obituary: Palm Springs, CA; Everett; Conconully, WA; Snohomish; Bullhead City, AZ; Edmonds; Monroe; Oso, WA; Stanwood; Seattle, WA; Dane Waggoner
Other Persons Mentioned in Obituary: Megan Perry; Thomas Lafferty; Kate Wicklund; Emil Toivonen; Amanda Melton; Heidi Dalton; Patrick Lafferty; Ida; Katy; Helen Wicklund; Ian Hayes; Phoebe Dalton; Irene Flom; Jesse Mullin; Nina Mantei; Irene Wicklund; Jarid Dalton; Rudy Wicklund; Kim (Kenny) Melton; Kelli; Holli (Stan) Waggoner; Victor (Ann) Wicklund; Cindy (Dave) Perry; Art; Lisa Owens; Stefani (Keni) Factor; Jason Dalton; Tristan; Marie; Neil; Roy Wicklund; Vera Powlesland; Bill Toivonen; Traci (Mark) Haynes; Dillon Owens; Dennis Lafferty; Wayne (Linda) Wicklund; Anthony Larson

Source Citation: Newspaper: Herald, The; Publication Date: 11 Jan 2005; Publication Place: Everett , WA , US..

Denise
08-11-06, 23:12
Obituaries

Laila Wicklund

Laila Wicklund, 96, born November 16, 1908 in Oso, WA, passed away January 8, 2005 in Everett. After attending Swan's Trail Elementary School, she graduated from Everett High School in 1927. She was a charter member of Swan's Trail Children's Hospital Guild for 67 years. Laila was a Golden Age member of the Eagles of Snohomish and a member of the Auxiliary of Legion Post 96 of Snohomish.

Preceding her in death is her husband, Rudy Wicklund, in 1992; her parents, Ida and Emil Toivonen; three brothers, Art, Neil and Bill Toivonen; and grandson, Dennis Lafferty.

She is survived by sister, Nina Mantei of Monroe; two daughters, Marie (Vince) Lafferty of Snohomish and Irene Flom of Snohomish; and one son, Wayne (Linda) Wicklund of Conconully, WA; 10 grandchildren, Thomas Lafferty, Janice Mullin, Holli (Stan) Waggoner, Kim (Kenny) Melton, Traci (Mark) Haynes, Heidi Dalton, Stefani (Keni) Factor, Victor (Ann) Wicklund, Cindy (Dave) Perry and Lisa Owens; 17 great-grandchildren, Tristan, Katy and Jesse Mullin, Kelli and Patrick Lafferty, Dane Waggoner, Holli and Amanda Melton, Jason Dalton, Ian Hayes, Jarid Dalton, Phoebe Dalton and Anthony Larson, Patrick and Kate Wicklund, Megan Perry and Dillon Owens; three sisters-in-law, Vera Powlesland of Edmonds, Irene Wicklund of Stanwood and Helen Wicklund of Bullhead City, AZ; one brother-in-law, Roy Wicklund of Everett and Palm Springs, CA; and numerous nieces and nephews

The family wishes to thank the staff of the 5th Floor at Providence Colby Campus for their excellent care.

Memorial services will be held at 1 p.m. on Wed., Jan. 12, at Evergreen Funeral Home, 4504 Broadway, Everett. Private burial at Cypress Lawn Cemetery.

Contributions may be made to Children's Hospital, M/S 200, P.O. Box 50020, Seattle, WA 98145-5020.

Denise
08-11-06, 23:13
Hi June,
Sorry about the last post, I thought I had all the junk deleted from the page it was on.

Denise

Jaska Sarell
09-11-06, 00:48
Denise,

You have a possibility to edit your own message after sending it. Click edit tab on the low right of your message and go on.

:) Jaska

June Pelo
09-11-06, 02:02
Denise,

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I'll pass it on.

June

Denise
09-11-06, 04:12
Jaska,
Thank-you so much for the assistance! While working at my business 7 days a week, I try to add my two cents worth to this forum, and I don't always have enough time to get things as correct as I would like! :( I always have to jump up from my computer to take care of customers! Again, thank-you!

And, June,
You are so very welcome. I'm so addicted to this Finlander Forum-I can't go a day without checking what's going on! :D All of you are so awesome!

Sincerely,
Denise

Denise
09-11-06, 17:36
Hi June,
Just found that Kaleva is in Manistee County, Michigan. I'll check it out and see what can be found on Ancestry.

Denise

Denise
09-11-06, 17:44
Hi June,
I just sent you a private message with a living Mattson in Kaleva, Michigan.

Denise

Denise
09-11-06, 17:59
Hi June,

Could this be your Matt Mattson?

Denise

Name: Matt Matson
[Matt Mytych]
Home in 1920: Albion, Houghton, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation to Head of House: Father-in-law
Marital Status: Widow
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1876
Image: 92
Emil Johnson 40
Lena Johnson 40
Matt Matson 75

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Albion, Houghton, Michigan; Roll: T625_769; Page: 25A; Enumeration District: 116; Image: 92.

June Pelo
09-11-06, 18:30
Thanks, Denise. The birth year is close. I'll send it on and see what they think. They're happy to get Laila's obituary. And they asked me to thank you for all your help.

June

Denise
09-11-06, 18:37
Hi June,
Any connection on this one?

Denise

Name: Kaisa Rantala
[Raisa Rantala]
Home in 1920: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852
[abt 1855]
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widow
Sex: Female
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1899
Image: 994
Kaisa Rantala 68

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan; Roll: T625_783; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 74; Image: 994.

Denise
09-11-06, 18:42
Hi June,
Here's another one.

Denise

Name: Mattias Rantala
[Mattia Rantala]
Home in 1920: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Spouse's name: Emma
Year of Immigration: 1898
Image: 1005
Mattias Rantala 40
Emma Rantala 49
Ame M Rantala 15
Laura S Rantala 12
Viona T Rantala 11
Hannes E Rantala 9
Parita S Rantala 7
Leia E Rantala 5
Bertha E Rantala 2
Helen V Rantala 11/12

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan; Roll: T625_783; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 74; Image: 1005.

Denise
09-11-06, 18:46
One More!

Denise

Name: Peter Rantala
Home in 1920: Pleasanton, Manistee, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Spouse's name: Anna
Year of Immigration: 1907
Image: 1065
Peter Rantala 30
Anna Rantala 42
Etto E Lakes 13
Sema J Lakes 12
Herald P Rantala 6
Raymond A Rantala 2 5/12

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Pleasanton, Manistee, Michigan; Roll: T625_783; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 79; Image:

June Pelo
09-11-06, 21:44
Thanks again, Denise. I don't know how they fit in, but I'll forward everything on.

June

June Pelo
10-11-06, 01:19
Denise,

You hit pay dirt with Kaisa Rantala and Mattias Rantala - they are her great grandparents. She didn't know about Peter Rantala, but he could be related. As for the Matson names, she didn't think they were related.

She said that Matti Rantala died in 1917, but they don't know where.

Thanks again.

June

Denise
10-11-06, 04:58
Hi June,
Here is the 1930 Census on Kaisa.

Denise

1930 United States Federal Census
Home in 1930: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Kaisa Rantala 78

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan; Roll: 1008; Page: 1A; Enumeration District: 18; Image: 470.0.

Denise
10-11-06, 05:03
Hi June,
Here's 1910 Census on Matti and Kaisa.

Denise

1910 United States Federal Census
Age in 1910: 60
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850
Spouse's name: Matti
Home in 1910: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan
Year of Immigration: 1900
Matti Rantala 65
Kaisa Rantala 60
Emma Rantala 30
Ina Rantala 7
Arne Rantala 6
Laura Rantala 2
Viono Rantala 1 2/12

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Maple Grove, Manistee, Michigan; Roll: T624_661; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 45; Image: 1031.

Denise
10-11-06, 05:11
Here is Mattias Rantala's passenger record.

Denise

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Mattias Rantala
Arrival Date: 18 Apr 1887
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: New York
Nationality: Russia
Ship Name: Servia
Search Ship Database: View the Servia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 15
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_505
List Number: 425
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Source Citation: Year: 1887; Microfilm serial: M237; Microfilm roll: M237_505; .

Denise
10-11-06, 05:17
Hi June,
This might be a bit hard to see. Mattias is number 100, as an infant on this passenger record. I can't tell who he is traveling with though.

Denise

June Pelo
10-11-06, 21:43
Denise,

That was quite a find about Matti Rantala coming over as an infant. I tried to read that small print, but couldn't decipher any of it. I'll pass it all along as I know it will be of interest to his descendants.

Thank you.

June