PDA

View Full Version : Polvijärvi

Denise
08-12-06, 18:39
Hi,
I'm having a problem trying to figure out what parish to write to for information on ancestors in Polvijärvi. I can't find Polvijärvi as a parish on HisKi.

Thank-you,
Denise

June Pelo
08-12-06, 21:04
Denise,

I think it's in Kuopio.

June

A Helena
08-12-06, 23:45
Hei,

Google: Suomen evankelis-luterilainen kirkko: seurakunnat
Juuan seurakunta

www.evl.fi/srk/Liperi
HisKi: Juuka (Juga)
www.evl.fi/srk/Juuka www.polvijarvenseurakunta.fi since 1856
Pekka Tanskanen was the parish clerk
(=lukkari). Yes it belongs to Kuopion hiippakunta (=diocese).

www.polvijarvi.fi-kylät(=villages)-Martonvaara
Antti Tanskanen was the first lutheran
in Martonvaara village of Polvijärvi in

The Tanskanen family is so widely researched, so you should find your
relatives without contacting the parishes - I think. Better avoid american names though - like Mary!

Advent greetings from really grey capital area,

Denise
10-12-06, 04:44
Hi June,
Thank-you for your help. I found Polvijärvi on my Finnish map, but was uncertain what parish may hold the records.

Sincerely,
Denise

Denise
10-12-06, 04:56
Hello A Helena,
Thank-you for the links to Polvijärvi and the Tanskanen name. I know very little Finnish, so I'm having a difficult time understanding it all. I'm using my Finnish to English dictionary, and catching on to some of it. I appreciate your time and effort. I hope the Tanskanen name will be easy to research. On a previous post there were questions as to my g- grandfather, Henrik/Henry and his father, Antti, but the birthdates I have on paperwork don't match up to the Antti and Henrik I'm finding on the Institute of Migration, so I'm unsure whether it is the right Tanskanen's I am looking for. Again, thank-you.

Sincerely,
Denise

Denise
01-08-07, 14:16
Hi,
Can someone tell me if there is a difference between the city of Polvijärvi and the village of Polvijärvi? I have attached the following from Hiski as an example- I'm wondering because my Tanskanen/Danskanen family said they were from Polvijärvi, and I see the village below is in Juuka.

Thank-you,
Denise

Juuka - christened

Father's last name: DANSKANEN => Danskanen, Danskanen ?
Child's first name: ANDERS => Anders, Anderst
Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child

23.2.1854 25.3.1854 Polvijärvi bd: Matts Danskanen Anna Danskanen 30 Anders

1.4.1856 9.4.1856 Juuga inh: David Danskanen Helena Hildunen 33 Andres

5.8.1857 17.9.1857 Kuhnusta N:o trp: Johan Danskanen q: Lena Danskanen 24 Anders

harrysme
02-08-07, 21:56
Polvijärvi town/parish is quite new, a chapell of Liperi from 1856, an independant parish later. That's why it is not in Hiski, I think.

It seems, that in the parish/town of Juuka is a village of Polvijärvi. it may not be the same as the parish/town of Polvijärvi.

http://www.genealogia.fi/historia/mini.php?srk=142

Harry

Denise
02-08-07, 22:27
Hi Harry,
My search for my great-grandfather, Heikki Andersson Tanskanen, b. 15 (or19) Jan. 1880, is starting to drive me nuts! On all paperwork I have in Michigan, he states he was born in Polvijärvi. On LDS I found the following, Anders Danskanen, b. 5 Feb. 1837 married to Maria Karttunen, b. 15 May 1845. and on Heikki's death record it states his parents were Anders Tanskanen and Maria Karttunen. The problem I am having is where to search? When searching the Kuopio parish records on http://www.digiarkisto.org/sshy/ , I find nothing, so I searched in Juuka, nothing, then on to Kontiolahti, nothing, and Karttula, and Hiski, nothing. I don't know if my great-grandfather, Heikki, meant he was born in the village of Polvijärvi in Juuka, or the city of Polvijärvi and then parish records would then be in Kuopio. Each child below on LDS was born in a different place, and I'm not even finding them. :mad: What are your thoughts on where to search? It seems some areas hold their own records, and others all the records are in a different main parish. I'm confused!

Thank-you for any ideas you may have. Below is what I found on LDS.

Best Regards,
Denise

Husband
Anders Danskanen Pedigree

Birth: 05 FEB 1837 Juuka, Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Wife
Maria Karttunen Pedigree

Birth: 15 MAY 1845 Kaavi, Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Marriage:
Death:
Burial:

Children

1. Anders Petter Anderss. Tanskanen Pedigree
Male

Birth: 03 NOV 1866 Karttula,Sotkuma, , Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

2. Kaisa Stiina Andersdr. Tanskanen Pedigree
Female

Birth: 30 AUG 1872 Sotkuma, Kontiolahti, Kuopio, Finland
Christening:
Death: 09 APR 1928 Jaaski, Viipuri, Finland
Burial:

harrysme
03-08-07, 09:29
Polvijärvi

Alkujaan Kontiolahden kappeliin kuulunut rukoushuonekunta, perustettu vuonna 1824. Kirkkoa ja hautausmaata oli suunniteltu jo vuodesta 1800 ja rakennuslupa oli valmiina (1806) mutta kirkko valmistui vasta 1847. Kontiolahden ja Kaavin osista muodostettu Liperiin kuuluvaksi kappeliksi vuonna 1856 saaden oman saarnaajan sekä vuodesta 1878 alkaen oman kappalaisen. Määrättiin erotettavaksi omaksi kirkkoherrakunnaksi 1879, toteutui 1901.

Naapuriseurakunnat (neighbouring parishes)
Juuka, Kaavi, Kontiolahti, Outokumpu, Liperi

Kylät suomeksi (villages)
Kinahmo, Martonvaara, Saarivaara, Sotkuma

The history of Polvijärvi parish is quite complicated and villages moved aroud in chuch records.

How could this fit ?:

Born in Kontiolahti

5.2.1837 25.3.1837 Timonvara 5 B: Påhl Danskanen Maria Rynänen 32 Anders

Best regards,

Harry

Denise
03-08-07, 19:52
Hi Harry,
The record you have found could be a distinct possibility. I found one great grandparent that celebrated her birthday July 3 and really her birthdate was March 7 according to parish records. I also found the following record on Hiski which may be a possibility considering Anders Danskanen named a son with the middle name of Petter. The birthdate is off, though.

Kontiolahti - christened

Father's first name: PETTER => Pehr
Father's last name: DANSKANEN => Danskanen, Danskanens
Child's first name: ANDERS => Anders
Born Christened Village Farm Father Mother Child

1.12.1837 21.4.1838 Martonvara 7 B: Petter Danskanen Christ: Hirfvonen 35 Anders (tvill:) (Harry, what does this mean?)

original - KASKOMM: ? (and what does this mean?)

Thank-you. I truly appreciate your help. :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Karen Norwillo
03-08-07, 20:39
Denise,
Tvill or tvilling is twin. Karen

Denise
03-08-07, 21:43
Hi Karen,
That figures that the word tvill means twin! Can it mean more than one set of twins as there are about 100 Antti/Anders Danskanen, Tanskanen's, around, and they probably named each one Antti and Anders! and I have no clue which one is my gggrandfather!!! :rolleyes:

Thank-you for the translation.
Love, Denise

harrysme
04-08-07, 20:19
Denise

You got already an answeb to your question about tvill.

I shoud say, that if you have from LDS (what is that) the right Antti, my suggestion to his parents is almost certainly right. Exactly the right date of birth and right place of birth too, because the village of Timo(n)vaara is now in Juuka.

The both children of Antti were born in the village of Sotkuma (now in Polvijärvi). Karttula may mean, that they lived at a farm of Maria Karttunen's relatives.

Its' a problem with names, because almost everybody was Matti, Juho, Antti or Maria.

Best regard
Harry

Denise
04-08-07, 20:39
Hi Harry,
O.K. Thank-you very much for the assistance. I appreciate your help very much. The site I found Anders Danskanen is Latter Day Saints, which is the largest genealogical society in the United States, besides Ancestry.com.
http://www.familysearch.org/ They have transcribed many parish records and are based in Salt Lake City, Utah. They are usually pretty reliable with their information, and I have found quite a bit of info. on Finnish families here.
At least I know I'm on the right track with your help. :D
Best Regards,
Denise