PDA

View Full Version : Rotmos - Rutabagas and potatoes

June Pelo
09-12-06, 00:51
I asked someone in Finland how they use rutabagas (called Swedes here - or Swedish turnip) and she wrote this, which is the way we fix it here.

When I make ROTMOS I mash potatoes with the kålrot

3/4 liter potatoes
1/2 kg kålrot (kålrot=swedish turnips my dictionary says)
water, salt
1-1½ deciliter milk
salt
hint of white pepper and butter

Peel the kålrot, cut to pieces and cook in salt water for 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and put them in the boiling water with the kålrot. When they are ready mash them and add salt and butter and hot milk.

Basically it's mashed potatoes combined with mashed rutabagas, which add specks of yellow to the potatoes, and quite delicious.

June

Kelli Grover
09-12-06, 02:05
Rotmos sounds delicious! I'll try that for Christmas. Have you ever heard of Rupsua/Krupsua? I don't know the correct spelling, but my grandmother used to make it. It had a lot of eggs in it and it would blow up really big in the oven and then settle down to a custard like pie.

Kelli

June Pelo
09-12-06, 17:53
Krupsua (Finnish Oven Pancakes)
by Marsh Mayry

Marsh Mayry is the husband of Karen Mayry, President of the NFB of South Dakota and a leader of the Diabetics Action Network.

Ingredients:

2 cups of 2% milk
1 egg
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup melted butter

Method: Melt butter on cookie sheet in 350-degree oven. Mix other ingredients together. Pour into
cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Serve with butter, syrup, jelly, or sugar. Yield: 9 servings;
Calories: 125; Diabetic Exchanges: 1 bread, 1 fat.
-------------------
Krupsua

4 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tablespoons sugar (less if desired)
1 stick butter (oleo if desired)

Instructions:
Melt the butter, beat together with the rest of the ingredients. Pour into a 9X12 cake pan and bake at 400 degrees for about 40 to 45 minutes. Makes a great breakfast!

June