PDA

View Full Version : Eero Saarinen

June Pelo
13-12-06, 00:49
The book "Eero Saarinen: Shaping the Future" has been published in conjunction with the exhibition of the same name. In Oct. 2006 the exhibition began a four-year international tour of Europe and the US with a viewing in Helsinki. From there it will travel to Oslo, Brussels, Detroit, Washington, D.C., Minneapolis, St. Louis and New York City, ending at Yale University in 2010 in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of Saarinen's birth. Saarinen produced a series of masterpieces after World War II: the St. Louis Gateway Arch; the TWA Terminal at JFK Airport in New York; and the General Motors building near Detroit. JetBlue will use the long-vacant TWA building which will handle 250 daily flights.

Norden, Nov. 20, 2006
June

Denise
13-12-06, 12:58
Hi June,
I grew up near the General Motors Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, and what a fabulous building it is. My father had a friend who worked there designing automobiles. The acreage surrounding the building is full of whitetail deer, huge ones! Here is a link to the Tech Center, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Technical_Center

Also my mother, who lives on Lake Superior has a neighbor from New Mexico, who furnished his whole home on the lake with Saarinen furniture. Worth quite a bundle today!

Denise

June Pelo
13-12-06, 17:51
Denise,

One of my cousins retired from GM Tech. Center - I'll send the URL to him. My brother-in-law was also an engineer for GM at their proving grounds in Milford, MI before he retired. He used to visit the Tech. Center on business trips but never met my cousin Roger there.

June