PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Population register (Census)

JDKotila
15-12-06, 00:18
For those on this forum that are not aware of the Finnish population register record images, that are online at "The National Archives of Finland" Digital Archive. Images of the "Henkikirjat" (Population register book for tax purposes). I have found some of my ancestors listed there and found it very interesting!

How to access this database:
1. Click this link: http://digi.narc.fi/digi/dosearch.ka?amtun=25716.KA
2. Click "region" (example: Vaasan Lääni henkikirjat)
3. Click "Henkikirjat"
4.Click year of Henkikirjat (usually 1810-1880, some later)
5. Find and click Parish

Note* These registers list only the names of persons age 15 and older, younger children are listed as numbers only. I have noticed in the 1880 Henkikirjat that the year of birth is listed next to persons name (example: "Johan Mattsson 32", 32 is birth year 1832)

Here is a tranlsation of the first 4 columns on the register (for 1880) from the original Swedish.

Column #1 Tax paying persons: Man/Male
Qvinnor/female

(Persons tax not required)
Column # 2 a. Over or underage and for other reasons: Man/Male
Qvinnor/female
#2b. Staying in Russia with passport: Man/male
Qvinnor/female

Column #3 Sum of population: Man/Male
Qvinnor/female

Column #4 Persons earning their living through public service, pension,capital, agriculture,
or other independent and staedy source of livelihood and their wives and
children:

You can also search the National Archives of Finland Digital Archive for images from record books showing Finnish Parish farm/house names and the changes of their location numbers. Type in parish name and it will list records available for each parish.

Hope i got this info. right and that it may be of some help and interest! I'am still new to Finnish genealogy.

Best Regards!
John Dotson Kotila
Detroit area, Michigan USA

granskare
15-12-06, 04:01
John,
After 2, I lost my way. I clicked Vaasan lääni henkikirjat, ok, then henkikirjat, and when I got there, I saw links to 1810, etc, and only to 1860, not 1880 so is that a typo?
Even when I got there, I typed in Alahärmä at "uusi haku" at the bottom of the page,
Well, somehow I got to this place which looks good,
http://digi.narc.fi/digi/view.ka?kuid=24533
but I am puzzled as to how to move from page to page. Too bad the archives weren't also in Swedish.
:(
Chucjk

christina
15-12-06, 15:57
Thank you John for the info.
I didn´t know about this possibility, to search in the "mantalslängderna". Very interesting.

My best regards
Christina Nordback

JDKotila
15-12-06, 16:18
Chuck,
It appears that the region of Vaasan lääni , does not go as far in years as some other regions do. Unfortunately. To go from page to page, click at top of page (PREVIOUS/NEXT) The site lets you enlarge portions of the image, but i like to use the zoom option on my web browser to enlarge the computer screen. You can click the search buttton at the top and type name of the Parish and see what other record images are available online for that particular Parish. Other records are mostly just lists of farms/houses in order as they appear in each Parish. Showing farm numbers and possibly some infomation when they were created (?) Those list may be helpful by giving the farmhouse number, when you search the Finnish Population register, the numbers may help you locate the farmhouse. But be aware that the house numbers sometimes changer through the years. I hope i made this a bit clearer. I'am still new to Finnish genealogy and don't read Finnish nor Swedish, but i have learned to understand a few words to help in understanding some records.
You might look online for a list of Finnish/Swedish words or abbreviations from Finnish Church documents. That have a dictionary of common words found on these documents.

Best Regards!
John Kotila
Michigan

granskare
15-12-06, 18:35
thanks for the info John,
I did see that the << and >> indicates previous page or next page.
They didn't have the far north of the country in the archives yet but I should be able to find something now in Vasa county.
Chuck

Kaj Granlund
15-12-06, 20:22
The census was made every 10th year and contains no inforamtion from where or to where a person moved. But there will be other information that's of interest. The far best source are the lutheran congregation records if they haven't been damaged or diasppeared for some reason. These records were updated on an annual basis.