PDA

View Full Version : Isaac Scott born 1865 in Vörå

kalabe
11-01-07, 19:02
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for my great uncle Isak Simonsson Skått, born 31.10.1865 in Tuckor, Vörå, Finland. He immigrated to USA in 1890 and married a Norwegian girl. He probably used Isaac Scott in USA.
Does anyone met him?
Do you know any Norwegian genealogy discus site?

Denise
11-01-07, 20:39
Hi,
This one looks like your Isaac.

Denise

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Isaac Scott
Home in 1920: Sandy, Clackamas, Oregon
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Finland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Maria L
Father's Birth Place: Finland
Mother's Birth Place: Finland
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1890
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 497
Household Members: Name Age
Isaac Scott 54
Maria L Scott 58

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Sandy, Clackamas, Oregon; Roll: T625_1492; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 56; Image: 497.

Denise
11-01-07, 20:43
Hi,
Here is the 1930 Census.

Denise

1930 United States Federal Census
Home in 1930: Portland, Multnomah, Oregon
Birthplace: Finland

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Isaac Scott 64
Maria L Scott 68

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Portland, Multnomah, Oregon; Roll: 1951; Page: 4B; Enumeration District: 206; Image: 533.0.

Denise
11-01-07, 21:05
Hi,
Here is the 1910 Census. He is the last one listed on the first page, and wife, Maria is listed on the second page.

Denise

1910 United States Federal Census
Age in 1910: 44
Birthplace: Russia
Father's Birth Place: Russia
Mother's Birth Place: Russia
Home in 1910: Cascades, Clackamas, Oregon
Marital Status: Married
Year of Immigration: 1890
Neighbors: View others on page
Isaac Scott 44
Maria L Scott 48

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Cascades, Clackamas, Oregon; Roll: T624_1279; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 24; Image: 196.

Denise
11-01-07, 21:06
Here is page 2.

Denise

Denise
11-01-07, 22:06
Hi,
Here is Isaac's 1900 Census.

Denise

kalabe
13-01-07, 15:41
Hello Denise

You made a great job for me so I will thank you a lot. Unfortunately I had bad information about his immigration to USA. He went to USA during year 1894 and married a Norwegian girl.
Could I disrupt you again and check Isaac with this new point of view?

I would very glad to find him and his possible ancestors.

What name he used in USA is for me a question mark, but I guess he used Scott.

Bengt

Denise
14-01-07, 05:48
Hi,
I am not finding an Isak Skatt, Isaac Scott, Isak Simonsson, etc. with the birth year of 1865, and immigration of 1894. The one's I sent you were the closest I was able to come to finding a match. Do you have any further information, such as his wife's name, what state they lived in, children, relatives, or anything more I could search on? Did they happen to go to Canada? Did Isak have a middle name, or nickname? Brothers or sisters that may have immigrated also?

Denise

kalabe
14-01-07, 10:40
Hello Denise

You have made a great job for me and I respect what you have done.
I'm sorry, but he had no siblings in USA. The only one was my great grandmother. She was newer to USA.

Are you able to look at US Immigration Collection? Here is often mentioned where people have started and where they are going?

Bengt

Denise
14-01-07, 17:13
Hi,
I checked the Immigration Records, Censuses, and everything Ancestry.com has to offer, but I'm not finding anyone that matches the birth year and immigration year. How did you come across the immigration year, and how do you know he married a Norwegian? Maybe that information might help me.

Denise

kalabe
15-01-07, 18:15
Hello Denise

I have now double-checked my sources and the dates of immigrations (1890 and 1894 as well) are both from the church books. I have also checked the immigration dates in the passports journal and here is only year 1890, so we have to trust year 1890 as the year of immigration.

I have also checked with my living source in my hometown who also is near related to Isaac. He told me that his mother clamed, that Isaac was married to a Norwegian girl.

The Census 1900 clamed, that your Isaac was born in August, but my Isaac was born in October.

Do you have checked the Birth, Marriage and Death records on Ancestry?

Thank you again for your great help. I will not forget you.

Bengt

Denise
16-01-07, 00:47
Hi Bengt,
Yes, I checked all the records from Ancestry, and I'm still coming up with the Isaac I sent you as being as close as I'm going to get. From experience I don't always count on dates being correct as I found my great= grandfather's birthdate actually 4 years different than all other papers I had on him. Did Sweden ever rule Norway? and could Maria state Sweden as her place of birth while under Swedish rule? Just a thought. Or, Isaac totally changed his name to something else. I have even tried searching with just a first name of both spellings of Isaac (Isak), the birth year of 1865 and immigration years (both of them) with Finland as the birthplace, and nothing! I don't think I'll be able to find much more.

Denise

kalabe
25-07-07, 07:52
Hi Denice

I have to accept this Isaac Scott as my great uncle. In 1990 Census we do have a wrong month of birt, but if wife was only at home, she probably did not know his birthday. I'm still looking of his immigration records. Isaac died 15.7.1947 and Maria (Mary or Marie) died 5.2.1947. Both in Portland. They had no children.

Bengt

Karen Douglas
25-07-07, 13:43
The obituaries in old newspapers have been a great source of information for me. Perhaps there is someone in Portland who could check the microfiched newspapers for 1947 at the library for the obituaries of Isaac and Maria. Generally, the church or funeral home are listed in the obit. That will give you another place to check for additional information.

Karen:)