PDA

View Full Version : old (1926) Swedish term

syrene
20-02-07, 01:56
Hi,
I'm translating some of Skarstedt's brief biographies about Swedish emigrants in Washington State. About Andrew Chilberg he states: his father took up land in the vicinity of Ottumwa, Iowa, according to förköpslagen

I can't figure out what that's intended to mean. Could it mean homesteading? Or was it land which the father had already paid for???
Thanks,
Syrene

sune
20-02-07, 11:40
Förköp means booking in advance. I would indicate that you could book a piece of land in advance before the actual sale. Perhaps someone with legal knowledge can clarify?

Sune

syrene
20-02-07, 17:31
I would appreciate any additional clarification. Thanks for your help!
Syrene

sune
21-02-07, 21:58
On deeper thought I came to think that "förköpsrätt" means the right to buy something before any one else gets the chance to do so.

E.g. there are shareholder companies where the shareholders have the right to buy shares that is put up for sale before any outsider can buy it. This is common in Finnish apartment houses that are administered in the form of shareholder companies where you buy shares which give you the right to hold a specific apartment, usually one share per square meter.

The Finnish crofter's law, the so called Lex Kallio, gave the right to crofters to buy their crofts from the farm they belonged to. This happened in the 1920ies and put an end to crofting and created thousands of small farms, which cannot survive in today's world. Many of them where shut down after WWII when the people moved to the cities and emigrated to Sweden to get a better living inthe cities. Now the EU rules for subsidies have made it impossible to earn a living from these small farms (10-30 acres). The process is much like what John Steinbeck describes in "Grapes of Wrath".

But what the "förköpslagen" you mention referrs to I have no idea. It seems by the context of your post that there is some kind of law or act in Iowa where the term applies. Is there an American lawyer who speak Swedish among us or among our friends?

Sune

syrene
22-02-07, 19:32
Yeah! Sune you're exactly right. There is a way to rent or tenant a farm with first option to purchase. thank you!
Syrene