PDA

View Full Version : The Lucia tradition

June Pelo
19-10-03, 16:59
If you'd like to vote for this year's Lucia here's the URL:
http://lucia.folkhalsan.fi/ All candidates are shown here.

Hasse's daughter Maria is a candidate for Lucia. If you'd like to vote for Hasse's Maria, go to:
http://lucia.folkhalsan.fi/index.asp?inc=rostning2&id=6 (you'll see a picture of pretty Maria)

The data won't be used for anything else - the organisation behind is Folkhälsan, ie. the organisation: "Folkhälsan is a Swedish-speaking NGO (non-governmental organization) in the social welfare and health care sector in Finland which carries out scientific research and provides social welfare and health care services as well as information and counselling in order to promote health and quality of life." Basically Folkhälsan is one of the cornerstones of today's Svenskfinland.

June

/edited by Hasse 11.12.2003

syrene
11-11-03, 17:40
The Italian saint Lucia emigrated to light up Swedish winters centuries ago, and lately the tradition has spread to Finland! Hurrah! Her spirit of serving and sharing answers deep needs, not just in Scandinavia but could be emulated everywhere!

I voted for Maria and thank June for posting the how-to! Maria may be the only Swedish-speaking candidate, I don't know. However, she has served in the "chorus" several years, taking light and joy to schools and hospitals. Her spirit certainly qualifies her to be Lucia.

Syrene

Hasse
11-11-03, 22:43
Originally posted by syrene
...Maria may be the only Swedish-speaking candidate, I don't know...

I think all of the candidates are Swedish-speaking. The Lucia tradition is quite popular here in Finland and has been as long as I can remember. This year the Lucia will be "crowned" by the Director of the Bank of Finland.

The candidates are from all areas in Svenskfinland and the elected Lucia will travel through Svenskfinland and visit schools, kindergartens, hospitals spreading light to both children and elderly. Lucia travels with a few girls in the chorus. Both my daughter Maria and Finlander member Göran Cainberg's daughter Nina has participated in the chorus several years.

One curiosity - the "Finlands Lucia" -name is trademarked in Finland by the Folkhälsan organisation. Cannot be used too commercially.

June Pelo
11-11-03, 22:46
Voting for Lucia ends on the 26th, so if you haven't cast your vote for Hasse's daughter Maria, do so now. She's a lovely girl and would make a perfect Lucia. I heard that the mothers of the other girl contestants are waging a real campaign for their daughters. However, Hasse can't very well do it because he's the administrator of Finlander. So take a few minutes and go to: [url]http://lucia.folkhalsan.fi/index.asp?inc=rostning2&id=6 (you'll see a picture of Maria).

The voting is done by filling the form:

Förnamn = given name
Efternamn= surname
Adress= street address
Postadress=zip+town
Landskap= choose "Övriga världen", ie. the rest of the world.
Födelsetid= select date/month/year from the pulldowns.
GSM nummer= the telephone number, choose "annat nummer" in the first pulldown and write in your phonenumber in the second.

All fields has to be filled in. The birth date and phone number stuff is there to make it impossible to vote several times.

The data won't be used for anything else - the organisation behind is Folkhälsan, ie. the organisation: "Folkhälsan is a Swedish-speaking NGO (non-governmental organization) in the social welfare and health care sector in Finland which carries out scientific research and provides social welfare and health care services as well as information and counselling in order to promote
health and quality of life." Basically Folkhälsan is one of the cornerstones of today's Svenskfinland.

June

syrene
07-12-03, 03:37
What were the results of the Lucia contest?
Regards
Syrene

Alf Blomqvist
07-12-03, 07:18
According to Hufvudstadsbladet (www.hufvudstadsbladet.fi www.folkhalsan.fi) Ann-Charlotta Thibblin is this years lucia in "Svenskfinland" (Finlands lucia?).

Anna-Charlotta Thibblin från Helsingfors är 23 år och inom kort kan hon titulera sig ekonomie magister. Parallellt med studierna vid Svenska Handelshögskolan studerar hon juridik vid Öppna universitetet.
Hon tycker om att ha många järn i elden, att sjunga, gymnastisera och umgås med sina vänner och sin familj.

Alf

Hasse
11-12-03, 11:21
On December 13th Finlands Lucia will be crowned in Helsingfors Domkyrka.

This years Lucia can be seen at this page (http://www.folkhalsan.fi/default.asp?path=28;32;38;2231;2643) . She got the most votes in this year's contest and will start her tour through Svenskfinland starting from the Lucia Day on Dec 13th. During this campaign this year's fundraising (http://www.folkhalsan.fi/default.asp?path=28;30;68;2415&voucher=617227A0-8B1A-48CD-BD96-55343A5A5D70) money is collected especially for the families raising a diasbled child and needing financial support.

I thank you all who casted their vote for our Maria. How near she was is hard to say, but since the total number of votes were no more than 12-13.000 there couldn't be that big differencies in number of votes.

Thank you all!