PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Brooklyn

jclambert
25-02-07, 04:02
I began looking into my mother's Finnish ancestry a couple of years ago. My father's parents came from Ireland.

According to the Ellis Island records both my Finnish grandparents came
from Laitila, Finland.

Johan Kustaa Raivo ( Feb. 2, 1885 - Dec. 22, 1923) arrived in America - May,
Elsa Maria Anttila ( Nov. 4, 1883 - Dec. 31, 1967) arrived in America - April 1910.
They were married in New York City in 1912 and lived and died in Sunset Park,
Brooklyn, NY.

According to a letter my mother received from a cousin in Minnesota, who had corresponded with the parish in Finland; - Johan (John) Raivoís fatherís name was Johan Fredrik Viitanen, who died in 1932 (age 82 years) in Laitila.

According to my grandmotherís Social Security application, her motherís
maiden name was Maria Wiiro ( or Vyiiro or Viiro - the name was crossed out,
rewritten and is unclear).

If anyone is researching any of these surnames, especially in the area around
Laitila I would be most interested.

Jim Lambert
Brooklyn, New York

Merja
25-02-07, 09:08
Hi Jim,

This is Johanīs passenger information from Finland ( from Institute of Migration database www.migrationinstitute.fi ):
Last name Raivo
First names Johan
Age or age group 20
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination New York
State of destination NY
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 202
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 29.04.1905
Ship from England Lucania
Date of departure from England 06.05.1905
Ocean Line Cunard Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 43/28
Remarks *

His passport record:
Last name Raivo
First names Juho Kustaa Juhonpoika
Other names *
Date of birth . .1884
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Irtolainen
Home parish Laitila
Province TUR
Passport date 28.04.1905
Passport number 1673
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by TUR
Remarks *

Hope someone else has more information for you.

Merja

jclambert
25-02-07, 14:32
Thank you for the information on my grandfather.

It's ironic that a man I never knew, ( he died before I was born) is the one I seem to be able to find the most information about!

Jim

lkwdjohn
20-03-07, 20:18
I grew up in the Sunset Park area of Brooklyn. My mother now 95 directed the Finnish womens choir. On what street did your relatives live? We lived on 43rd street and the 44th right on the corner of the park. Maybe my mother would remember some of your family. We also had some relatives that lived on 41st street along the side of the park.

jclambert
21-03-07, 02:16
My grandmother bought a two-family house in the 1920s -- on 44th Street, between 7th and 8th Ave ... right round the conner from you. Before that, she and my mother lived in an apartment on 7th Ave. and 39th Street.....

I was raised ( and still live ) in the 44th Street house ... we must have lived just around the conner from each other.... do you remember the "Tricks" store?

lkwdjohn
16-04-07, 21:16
I remember there was a Pizza place on 8th Ave between 44-45. Used to get my haircut on 8th. Went to Gloria Dei Church. PS 169/Pershing Junior High and then Brooklyn Tech. Mother taught at Erasmus.

Was the tricks store on 8th avenue?

jclambert
17-04-07, 03:46
There was an Italian resturant that sold pizza .. and next to that was a barber. On the conner of 45th and 8th was the Finnish newspaper ( New Yorkin Uutiset) and on the next block across 8th ave was the Ritz movie theather....

We were raised Catholic and attended St. Agatha's on 48th street.

The Gloria Dei is now an Assemblies of God Evangelical church and the Finnish Golgatha church up the block is now Baptist.

The "Trick Store" was on 43rd just off 8th Ave. This would have been in the late 50's early 60's. It eventually move onto 8th Ave ( bet. 43 and 42nd Sts) and became the Toy and Hobby Shop ... or just "Herman's". They also had a Greeting Card store across the ave, where I worked after school...

lkwdjohn
17-04-07, 15:19
I used to buy wooden models at Herman's and remember entering into a contest or two. You're right, he was on 43rd street and then moved to eigth avenus.

My grandparents lived on 43rd street between 8th and 9th. One lived at 823 and I think the othere was 820, one of the two co-ops there. I lived on 43rd street until 1954 and then moved to 44th. Spent most of my time playing stick ball and pitching in in the school yard at PS169 when I wasn't playing basketball at Tech. Also used to play football in the pool.

Mother directed the Finnish women's choir at church although spent most of her time teaching at Erasmus.

Dated a girl, Inara ,who might have lived near you a couple of times. Latvian if I remember. Went to Cornell.

jclambert
06-08-07, 05:15
I was passing by 826 the other day and snapped this photo..!

lkwdjohn
06-08-07, 16:33
Thanks for the picture. Many fond memories of living there. We had FinnFest 07 in Ashtabula last week. Met a woman whose father lived at 41st and 7th, the other corner of Sunset Park. He used to spend a lot of time at Imatra Hall.