PDA

View Full Version : Sunnell/Sunell

June Pelo
25-03-07, 21:00
Someone has asked if I can help him with any information concerning the origin of the surname Sunnell/Sunell. He wrote:

There are several villages within parishes in southern Finland named Sunila and farms within these villages as well as elsewhere named Suni. The most northern example is the farm Suni in Munsala. I suspect it is a Finnish word, but what does it mean? Some persons from Sunila probably took the name Sunell, just as my ancestors from Ollila took the name Olin. Just as the farm Ollila on the lake upriver from Nykarleby can't account for all the examples of the name Olin, the name Sunell probably arrives from multiple places, too. Sunells ran the full range of professions. There was a clergyman born around 1763 and married to Anna Ulrica Colliander. He served in Lorpilahti and Petajavesi but died in Karkola (sorry but I've not mastered umlauts in e-mails). Another was a burgher in one of the towns in southwestern Finland, again around the beginning of the 19th century. Another, a craftsman, had moved to the Tammerfors area in 1828 from Turku. His property had probably been destroyed by the fire in Turku. Most of the Sunells were craftsmen, leatherworkers predominating, but there were several examples of farmers as well. There seems to have been quite a successful farm family in Southern Ostrobothnia named Sunell. Men in that family;by held important church and local positions. This still does not tell us what one Sunell male was doing at Sorvist, Nykarleby and from whom my grandfather borrowed his name. Did he help facilitate the oversea's sale and shipment of timber from grandfather's woodlot? Did he teach him the skills of a cobbler, leatherworking and she making seeming to be related trades? In Hiski records persons having the Sunell name sometimes are not listed with the patronymic and when they do it can be given either in Swedish or Finnish. This probably reflects the conventions of the pastor doing the recording. Nonetheless, it suggests that Sunell may be quite an old name as persons in some cases were known by their family name rather than their patronymic. Since all the Finnish families other than ours listed in the 1920 US census have Finnish as their mother tongue, it implies that if some of these 18th and 19th century Sunells were Swedish speaking or had Swedish speaking spouses by the end of the 19th century, the families had made the language shift from Swedish to Finnish.

Do you know anything about the Corriander family? It appears in Hiski largely as a military family. Swedish or Finnish?

Any information will be appreciated.

June

Jaska Sarell
25-03-07, 22:06
A book about Finnish surnames says that name Suni is derived from Germanic male name Sune, used as well in Scandinavia and Low German.
Early appearances of Suni and Sunila in Southern Karelia, SW Finland and Ostrobothnia.

Perhaps Sune from Borgå can tell more :cool:

:) Jaska

sune
25-03-07, 23:28
The connection between Sune and Suni is new information to me, but it sounds plausible. All I know is that Sune is an old Nordic name used from the iron age and forward. It simply means "son". I've understood that the form Sone was common during the viking era.

There is by the way a pulp factory called Sunila in Kotka.

Sune

June Pelo
26-03-07, 00:51
He asked about the Corriander family, but I think he meant Colliander. Corriander is a spice, I think.

June

Jaska Sarell
26-03-07, 01:02
http://www.colliander.org/ in three languages.

:) Jaska

June Pelo
26-03-07, 02:24
Sune and Jaska - thanks for your mail. I'll pass it along.

June