PDA

View Full Version : Relatives in America

Tuomas
01-05-07, 11:41
My name is Tom. I live in finland and I´m searching for my mother´s uncle Arvi Siro and his family. Arvi (Arvid) Siro went to america sometime before last war round 1940?? The only thing I know is that he married a girl from Denmark. It is also possible that he moved later to Denmark. Arvi Siro´s fathers name was Severus and they lived in Lahti
If anyone knows something about Arvi so please Write to me!!

Tuomas
01-05-07, 20:47
My name is Tom. I live in finland and I´m searching for my mother´s uncle Arvid Viktor Siro and his family. Arvid Siro went to america sometime before last war round 1940?? I know only that he married a girl from Denmark and they got a daughter. It is possible that he moved later to Denmark. Arvid Viktor Siro´s fathers name was Severus and they lived in Lahti. It has been told that he used name Viktor Siro in US.
If anyone knows something about Arvid Viktor, so please Write to me!!

More information: Arvid Viktor had three brothers, Väinö, Olavi and Johannes and his mother´s name was Vilhelmiina

Kerstin
01-05-07, 23:34
Hello!

There is an Victor Siro in World War I regristrations cards 1917-1918. He is born on the 10 of May 1892 in Helsingfors and he is living on Manhattan, New York. Coud he be the right person?

MVH Kerstin

granskare
02-05-07, 00:43
A birthdate for Victor would be very helpful especially for someone leaving during wartime. How indeed could he have been permitted to depart unless he was not of age for being in the army?

I have this guy getting married on upper Michigan but likely isn't yours.
at Swenson S 14-2 = Michigan, Gogebic Co, Ironwood, Salem Lutheran
S 14-2 b82hm Nels Siro Apr 20 1890 age 23 Finland unk
S 14-2 b82wm Sofia f. Kosteniemi Apr 20 1890 age 19 Finland unk

Swenson is the Swedish Immigration Center here in town.

Chuck

Tuomas
04-05-07, 18:48
Thank`s Kerstin but my greatuncle was born in Lahti and as I know, he was not in worldwar 1

Kerstin
04-05-07, 19:31
Hello!

You can contact
Lahtis Kyrkliga Samfällighet
PB 84
15111 Lahtis
+ 358 (0)3 891 11
If he was born in Lahtis, then they will know something about him.

MVH Kerstin

Tuomas
04-05-07, 20:37
Hello Kerstin! I must take back my first answer to you. Sorry !
I had some wrong information. Now I have some new information and it seems to be so that you have found my great uncle. He was really born at 10. of may 1892 and he went from Finland to america 1912.
Thank´s again
Tom

Tuomas
04-05-07, 20:44
A birthdate for Victor would be very helpful especially for someone leaving during wartime. How indeed could he have been permitted to depart unless he was not of age for being in the army?

I have this guy getting married on upper Michigan but likely isn't yours.
at Swenson S 14-2 = Michigan, Gogebic Co, Ironwood, Salem Lutheran
S 14-2 b82hm Nels Siro Apr 20 1890 age 23 Finland unk
S 14-2 b82wm Sofia f. Kosteniemi Apr 20 1890 age 19 Finland unk

Swenson is the Swedish Immigration Center here in town.

Chuck

Hello Granskare !
You are quite right about war time. I have now some new information and it seems that my great uncle left Finland allready 1912. He was born at 10 of may 1892.
Thank´s
Tom
P.S. talar du svenska ??

granskare
04-05-07, 20:53
jag taler inte bra svenska :)

that's about all I can write. I was taught two lines by Swedish speaking friends in Korsholm and that was one The other was: Jag vill prata med Simon tack" His brother answered the phone and was surprised that we found out he had said "he speaks Swedish!" so I got away with that one.
My wife got a gps unit for her car so we went on holiday and listened to the girl in Swedish so we know "swing till fenster and swing till heuger"; bad spelling here. The Finnish is so incomprehensible I think they are swearing at us when we don't take their route.
I read better genealogical Swedish and can't understand anybody who speaks the language.

So if you do have somebody who came to USA or Canada, check the list of churches and perhaps something might fit the town you want;
http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/genealogy.html

Kerstin
05-05-07, 09:09
Hello Toumas!

Maby this is the right Victor then. The information is from Cencus 1920.

Name Victor Siro (Victor Sirs)
Home in 1920 Port of New York, Kings , New York
Age 27
Estimated birth year abt 1893
Birthplace Finland
Father´s birthplace Finland
Mother`S birthplace Finland
Race White
Sex Male
Year of immigration Un
Able to read Yes
Able to Write Yes
Image 521
it seems to be a home for seamen that he is living in.

MVH Kerstin