PDA

View Full Version : Runeberg Cakes

June Pelo
24-05-07, 19:31
RUNEBERG'S CAKES

I asked a relative in Finland for ideas about Runeberg. He suggested that I write about Runeberg's favorite cake, and he sent me a recipe used by his family. It was thought the original recipe originated with Fredrika Runeberg, but it wasn't found among her papers.

The selling of Runeberg's cakes in Finland is the first sign of the approach of Runeberg's Day, February 5. The cakes have been baked according to many difference recipes, each is claimed to be more delicious than the other. It has been recalled that the poet was fond of sweets and he always wanted to have the cake with his morning drink (coffee, no doubt).

Runeberg's Day is a national flag-raising day and people eat Runeberg cakes. I'll enclose the Swedish version of the recipe sent to me, and then a recipe with my approximate conversion to our measurements. I tested the recipe and it was delicious. No doubt, some readers have their own version of this cake (actually cupcakes).

RUNEBERGSTÅRTOR

150 g smör eller margarin 1 1/2 dl ströbröd (en del av pepparkakor)
1 1/2 dl socker 1 tsk bakpulver eller bikarbonat
2 ägg 1/2 dl grädde
1 dl mald mandel ca 50 g
1 1/2 dl vetemjöl

Till dekoration:
1 dl pulversocker hallonsylt eller marmelad
ca 1/2 msk vatten

Vispa ihop det mjuka fettet samt sockret. Tillsätt äggen ett i sänder och blanda väl. Därefter grädden och de ihopblandade torra ingredienserna. Blanda snabbt allt samman till en slät deg.

Fördela degen i små pappersfomar el. dyl. Helst cylinderformade, alltså med rak kant. Fyll formarna bara till 2/3. Tryck med mjölig tumme en fördjupning i varje tårta och fyll gropen med hallonsylt. Grädda i 200 gradig ugn ca 15 minuter. Dekorera de färdiga tårtorna. Tillsätt mera hallonsylt. Tillsätt vatten i puder-sockret så att du får en tjock kräm. Spritsa pudersockerkrämen i en rund ring runt hallonsylten. Eller gör det genom att droppa ner krämen med hjälp av en sked.

(om du inte har pepparkaka till degen, kan du istället tillsätta 1 tsk kanel och 1/2 tsk nejlika i degen.)

OBS. Endel brukar tillsätta lite bittermandelolja i degen. Andra åter gör en blandning av lite socker, vatten och rom och dränker kakorna med detta före den sista dekorationen.

RUNEBERG'S CAKES

3/4 c. butter or oleo 3/4 c. toasted bread crumbs (a
3/4 c. sugar portion of papparkakor or 2 eggs gingerbread crumbs)
almond extract 1 tsp baking powder or baking soda
3/4 c. flour 1/4 c. cream

Topping:
1/2 c. powdered sugar raspberry jam or fruit jam
ca 1/2 tbs water

Whip together the softened butter/oleo and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and blend well. Then add the cream and combined dry ingredients. Blend quickly together to a smooth batter.

Divide the batter into small paper cups (used for cupcakes). Fill cups 2/3 full. With a floured thumb, press a depression into each cake and fill with the jam. Bake at 350°-375° for 15 minutes. (Depends on your oven). Cool the cakes.

To decorate the cakes, combine powdered sugar, water and jam until the consistency of thick cream. Pipe the mixture in a ring around the jam. Or drop it around with a spoon.

(If you don't have pepparkakor, substitute 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cloves in the batter.)

Note: Use only a little almond extract in batter. The rest is mixed with a little sugar, water and rum; drench the cakes with this before decorating.

(I used the regular size paper cups and that gave me 12 cupcakes.)

June

June Pelo
24-05-07, 19:44
Sorry, but it looks like the program used by Finlander won't let me list my recipe ingredients in two columns. So I'll have to modify my recipe and list the ingredients differently. Here it is:

RUNEBERG'S CAKES

I asked a relative in Finland for ideas about Runeberg. He suggested that I write about Runeberg's favorite cake, and he sent me a recipe used by his family. It was thought the original recipe originated with Fredrika Runeberg, but it wasn't found among her papers.

The selling of Runeberg's cakes in Finland is the first sign of the approach of Runeberg's Day, February 5. The cakes have been baked according to many difference recipes, each is claimed to be more delicious than the other. It has been recalled that the poet was fond of sweets and he always wanted to have the cake with his morning drink (coffee, no doubt).

Runeberg's Day is a national flag-raising day and people eat Runeberg cakes. I'll enclose the Swedish version of the recipe sent to me, and then a recipe with my approximate conversion to our measurements. I tested the recipe and it was delicious. No doubt, some readers have their own version of this cake (actually cupcakes).

RUNEBERGSTÅRTOR

150 g smör eller margarin
1 1/2 dl socker
2 ägg
1 dl mald mandel ca 50 g
1 1/2 dl vetemjöl
1 1/2 dl ströbröd (en del av pepparkakor)
1 tsk bakpulver eller bikarbonat
1/2 dl grädde

Till dekoration:
1 dl pulversocker
ca 1/2 msk vatten
hallonsylt eller marmelad

Vispa ihop det mjuka fettet samt sockret. Tillsätt äggen ett i sänder och blanda väl. Därefter grädden och de ihopblandade torra ingredienserna. Blanda snabbt allt samman till en slät deg.

Fördela degen i små pappersfomar el. dyl. Helst cylinderformade, alltså med rak kant. Fyll formarna bara till 2/3. Tryck med mjölig tumme en fördjupning i varje tårta och fyll gropen med hallonsylt. Grädda i 200 gradig ugn ca 15 minuter. Dekorera de färdiga tårtorna. Tillsätt mera hallonsylt. Tillsätt vatten i puder-sockret så att du får en tjock kräm. Spritsa pudersockerkrämen i en rund ring runt hallonsylten. Eller gör det genom att droppa ner krämen med hjälp av en sked.

(om du inte har pepparkaka till degen, kan du istället tillsätta 1 tsk kanel och 1/2 tsk nejlika i degen.)

OBS. Endel brukar tillsätta lite bittermandelolja i degen. Andra åter gör en blandning av lite socker, vatten och rom och dränker kakorna med detta före den sista dekorationen.

RUNEBERG'S CAKES

3/4 c. butter or oleo
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
almond extract
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. toasted bread crumbs (a portion of papparkakor or gingerbread crumbs)
1 tsp baking powder or baking soda
1/4 c. cream

Topping:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
ca 1/2 tbs water
raspberry jam or fruit jam

Whip together the softened butter/oleo and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and blend well. Then add the cream and combined dry ingredients. Blend quickly together to a smooth batter.

Divide the batter into small paper cups (used for cupcakes). Fill cups 2/3 full. With a floured thumb, press a depression into each cake and fill with the jam. Bake at 350°-375° for 15 minutes. (Depends on your oven). Cool the cakes.

To decorate the cakes, combine powdered sugar, water and jam until the consistency of thick cream. Pipe the mixture in a ring around the jam. Or drop it around with a spoon.

(If you don't have pepparkakor, substitute 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp cloves in the batter.)

Note: Use only a little almond extract in batter. The rest is mixed with a little sugar, water and rum; drench the cakes with this before decorating.

(I used the regular size paper cups and that gave me 12 cupcakes.)

June

sune
26-05-07, 12:02
It has been recalled that the poet was fond of sweets and he always wanted to have the cake with his morning drink (coffee, no doubt).

Sorry to disappoint you, June, but Runeberg's morning drink was alcohol, probably vodka-type clear grain alcohol. That was a common habit in his days. The drink would be spiced with different kinds of herbs or seasonings. And the cakes were most certainly drenched with rum. Runeberg was no teetotaller. Abstinence from alcohol wasn't in fashion in those days.

Sune

Karen Douglas
26-05-07, 13:32
Hi June,
Thanks for sharing! I think I will try to make it next week!
Karen
:)