PDA

View Full Version : Searching MALM from Finland

Trevettes-Malm
28-05-07, 14:56
Hi, I'm Paulette and I am having a ball tracing my husband's family tree!;)

Hubby (Trevor Smith) is the son of Ethel nee Malm. b 1925 Manly Australia.
Trevor's Grandfather was Victor Charles Malm b 1893 Manly Aust - d 1957 Manly Aust.
Great Grandfather was Axel Victor Malm (ships captain) b 1848 Jakobstad/Pietarsaari Finland - d 1924 Manly Aust (cousin to Otto August Malm - richest man in Finland at the time of his death 1898...and uncle to Ossian Donner) Married to 1st wife Mathilda Overlind in Finland. Married 2nd wife Sophia Davies in Australia in 1891.
GG Grandfather was Alexander Malm (brother of Peter Malm - boat builder/owner of Hercules barque and father of Otto August Malm) Alexander b 1810 - d 1868. Married to Maria Bernhardina Roos.
GGG Grandfather was Pehr Malm b 1768 - d 1827. Married to 1st wife Maria Christina Kindman 1767. Married 2nd wife Brita Maria Roos (Auntie & Mother-in-law to Maria Bernhardina Roos...:confused: ).
GGGG Grandfather was Niclas Malm (captain/trade merchant). b 1724 - d 1785. Married to Maria Nyman.
GGGGG Grandfather was Mathias Malm (skipper/sailor) b 1689 - d 1739. Married to Maria Kiendelia.

1689 is as far back as I have been able to go on the MALM side. Following Maria Nyman's family, I have been able to go back as far as 1450 & 1470 on two lines - supposing that all info is correct!:D

Having problems with finding information about Axel Victor Malm and his journey from Finland to Australia around 1888-90. He was apparently shipwrecked off the coast of Queensland Australia and was only one of two to survive the wreck. I cannot find any information about his first wife Mathilda Overlind nor if they had any children.

Hoping someone can shed some light!:)

Thanks!

Paulette Smith.
Tassie, Aust.

June Pelo
28-05-07, 17:46
Paulette,

Welcome to Finlander. I can't help with your search for Axel Victor, but wanted to say I have the same Malm names in my database. I, too, am related to Otto August Malm as well as other Malm names. Did you know that Matts Malm's great granddaughter Anna Maria Johansdotter Malm was the mother of Johan Ludwig Runeberg? Her grandmother Maria Mattsdotter Nyman was the granddaughter of Matts Johansson Torp-Swartsjö - there are several other Finlander members who have links to the Torp family and are related to Runeberg. And more data about Torp is found in the Caino-Torp book that was published in Finland a few years ago. A lot of this data is also included in the Talko database - if you've submitted a GedCom to Hasse and received a password, you can search the database. I tried to find a Mathilda Överlind in Finland, but found nothing. Do you have any dates or other data about her?

June

cdahlin
28-05-07, 21:06
Hello!

I am also 4th cousin 7 times removed to Pehr Malm through his mother Maria Mattsdotter Nyman-Malm and back to the Hyytinen family of Lappajärvi. So this way I am a distant cousin to your husband.

An interesting branch in the Malm family is also the Donner-family. I do not have the exact origin of this family, but I suppose they came from Germany.

My cousin in Toronto, Paul Dahlin is married to Joana Doner. Their family came from Europe in the 1800th century. Possible relationship?

Christian

June Pelo
29-05-07, 00:15
Paulette,

I found Mathilda Överlind here: http://www.kokkola.fi/historia/roosmalm/malmged/dat34.htm#0 If you click on the Home Page, you'll see it's in Finnish, but evidently posted by someone of the Malm family.

June

Trevettes-Malm
29-05-07, 02:18
Hello!

I am also 4th cousin 7 times removed to Pehr Malm through his mother Maria Mattsdotter Nyman-Malm and back to the Hyytinen family of Lappajärvi. So this way I am a distant cousin to your husband.

An interesting branch in the Malm family is also the Donner-family. I do not have the exact origin of this family, but I suppose they came from Germany.

My cousin in Toronto, Paul Dahlin is married to Joana Doner. Their family came from Europe in the 1800th century. Possible relationship?

Christian

Hi Christian,

Thanks so much for your reply! There is definitely a relationship between you and Trevor! Otto August Malm did not have any children (his wife - a first cousin Maria Lovisa Malm drowned whilst pregnant with their first child on the ship Osterbottom and Otto never remarried nor had any children. His wealth was inherited by Ossian Donner - his nephew from his sister Hilda Rosina Louise Malm who married Anders Donner (Jnr) and later married his brother Otto Donner - Ossian was the Finnish Diplomatic Representative to England 1919 - 1926 and later moved there with his Scottish wife and had a son Patrick William Donner who later became a Member of Parliament and became a SIR... Sir Patrick died in 1988. Ossian did not continue with the boating industry as the Malm family had done for quite some generations, but instead put his and Otto's money into the textiles industry.

We are looking to see if Trevor has any relations still in Finland as we are going to travel and see Finland and parts of Europe in a few years time.... hope we can meet with you!!! :) We are wanting to visit the Jakobstad Museum as part of this building is the Peter Malm House.

Is Pedersore the same as Pietarsaari/Jakobstad... there seems to be sooo many names for the one place!! :confused:

Look forward to future correspondence with you Christian.

Cheers,
Paulette & Trevor.

Trevettes-Malm
29-05-07, 02:37
Paulette,

Welcome to Finlander. I can't help with your search for Axel Victor, but wanted to say I have the same Malm names in my database. I, too, am related to Otto August Malm as well as other Malm names. Did you know that Matts Malm's great granddaughter Anna Maria Johansdotter Malm was the mother of Johan Ludwig Runeberg? Her grandmother Maria Mattsdotter Nyman was the granddaughter of Matts Johansson Torp-Swartsjö - there are several other Finlander members who have links to the Torp family and are related to Runeberg. And more data about Torp is found in the Caino-Torp book that was published in Finland a few years ago. A lot of this data is also included in the Talko database - if you've submitted a GedCom to Hasse and received a password, you can search the database. I tried to find a Mathilda Överlind in Finland, but found nothing. Do you have any dates or other data about her?

June

Hi June,

Thanking you ever so much for replying! Yes I have found that there is a CAINO-TORP line thru the Nyman family, but did not realise just how big this line was! I have not heard of the Caino-Torp book and I do not know what a GedCom is nor how to search the Talko database... please advise!

The only information I have about Mathilda Overlind is from the same place as the link you sent thru on your latest thread. I do not have any dates, names or towns...very frustrating when you hit a brick wall!! I do not know if/when Axel and Mathilda separated/divorced of if she died and he therefore left Finland to start a new life in Australia.

He apparently did study for some time in England and was friends with a Professor Theodore Gurney. The Professor taught at Cambridge University, but I have been unable to find any evidence so far that Axel was a student at Cambridge...still waiting for the Cambridge uni to get back to me on this.

When Axel was in Sydney Australia, he actually ran into this same Professor who owned a large stone mansion called "Clavering" in Manly, Sydney, and Axel became employed by the Professor as his Caretaker and Coachman. He and his 2nd wife Sophia lived in the Caretakers Cottage on the Clavering estate from late 1890's until 1922. Axel died in 1924. The Professor and his wife had returned to England several times during this period and he died in England in 1918.

I find this all soooo interesting!!!

Hope to hear from you again soon June.

Cheers,
Paulette & Trevor.

cdahlin
29-05-07, 07:10
Hi Paulette!

You put the finger on a confusing fact about the names Pedersöre - Pietarsaari.

Pedersöre today is a community with ab 11.000 citizens just outside the town Jakobstad. Pedersöre is a very old community, over 650 years old and it was in the past probably the largest community ever in Finland.

The town Jakobstad with ab 19.000 citizens is much younger and consists of the old harbor area of the old Pedersöre. For some reason "Jakobstad" in Finnish is "Pietarsaari", really confusing. "Pietarsaari" really means "Pedersöre" i you change it back to Swedish.:confused:

At the moment there is a nation wide structure reform going on in Finland and perhaps in 10 years many of the communities around Jakobstad will be united again - under the old name Pedersöre, I hope!

But this is a thing for politicians, me included!

Christian Dahlin

cdahlin
29-05-07, 12:35
Hi again!

I forwarded your first message to Guy Björklund at the museum of Jakobstad to see if he can get some more information about Mathilda. It is not clear about their marriage and possible children. The information can't be found on Hiski (too new dates). Of course the church office of Jakobstad may have some information.

Christian

Trevettes-Malm
29-05-07, 13:00
Guy was the fellow who had sent off information to Trevor's cousin about 2 years ago and she sent the info to us...and I ran with it! It would be great if Guy could find out more about Mathilda.

I found out today that apparantly, the boat/ship/vessel that Axel was shipwrecked on was his own vessel. But I do not have the name of this vessel, the date of when he left Finland, where in Finland he departed from, nor of when he was shipwrecked...I can only go on "maybe's". He married in Australia in 1891, so working on travelling from Queensland to Sydney in New South Wales and actually meeting and courting Sophia, it would have been at least 18 months to perhaps 2 and a half years... He "may" have arrived about 1888-89. Stories thru the generations suggest he came over to Australia with cargo, he met Sophia, went back to Finland to finalize his affairs over there and then returned to marry Sophia...not sure when this shipwreck then would have occured...the first time with the cargo or on his return???

I will have to work out what your relationship is to Trevor.

I do have on my Pedigree tree a Hyytinen - Maria Mattsdotter Nyman's paternal Grandmother's Father - Henrick Josefsson Hyytinen. Is this the one you are related to?

I will have to private message you and email you a photograph of Trevor and myself.

Thank you for contacting Guy, it is muchly appreciated.

Speak with you soon,
Paulette.

June Pelo
29-05-07, 19:50
I have some interesting information about some of these families. The Donner family originated in Lübeck, moved to Stockholm and them moved in 1770 to Gamlakarleby, Finland. The Wasastjerna (Falander(, Donner and Malm families were connected through marriage. The Donner family members are written up in the book "Märkes-män och -Kvinnor i Karlebynejden".

The progenitor of the Hyytinen family was Olof, b. ca 1560. He had 7 sons: Simon, Josef, Esko, Erik, Carl, Henrik, Isaac and there are a number of Finlander members descended from them. Olof was my 8th great grandfather, and he was 10th great grandfather to Jaska Sarell, Alf Blomqvist and Hasse Nygård. I'm sure there are other Finlanders descended from him.

Pehr Malm was my 4th cousin 4 times removed; he was also 4th cousin 6 times removed of Jaska and 2nd cousin 6 times removed of Hasse Nygård.

Paulette, do you have your data entered into a genealogy program? If so, you should be able to create a GedCom through your genealogy program (most programs have that capability), and if you e-mail a GedCom to Hasse Nygård, administrator of the Finlander Forum, he'll assign a password to you which enables you to access the Talko database. At the top of the screen when you sign onto Finlander you'll see Talko and clicking on it takes you to the log-in page, using your password. If you don't know how to create a GedCom, post a query on Finlander and I'm sure someone can help you.

As for the Caino-Torp book, it can be purchased through the Genealogical Society of Finland. Their home page: http://www.genealogia.fi click on English and then on Library in the left menu - or go to: http://www.genealogia.fi/kirjasto/indexe.htm It's in Finnish and tells how you can order a copy of the book. When it first came out it was possible to order the book through the Caino-Torp committee and they used this website to report the progress: http://www.abo.fi/~hkrokfor/caino_torp/state.htm But they no longer sell the book direct. The book covers years up to 1800. They hope that in the future someone will issue another book covering the later years. It's a large book with articles in English, Swedish and Finnish and the genealogy tables are mostly in Swedish, but it's easy to determine names and dates.

June

June Pelo
29-05-07, 19:59
Paulette,

Finlander member Staffan Storteir has a website which covers emigrant ships as well as emigration to Australia. Perhaps there's something of interest here:
http://sydaby.eget.net/swe/emi_ref.htm

June

cdahlin
29-05-07, 20:40
Here are the descendants of Alexander Malm and Maria Bernhardina Roos as far as Hiski goes.

1. Alexander Malm (b.8 Jul 1810-Jakobstad;d.2 Sep 1868)
ma: Maria Bernhardina Roos (b.25 Aug 1817-Gamlakarleby)
2. Maria Alexandra Malm (b.3 Feb 1841-Jakobstad;d.2 Sep 1871)
ma: Carl Julius Polin (f.20 Okt 1836;d.25 Mar 1877)
2. Peter Anders Alexander Malm (b.26 Aug 1842-Jakobstad;d.8 Apr 1918)
ma: Hilda Bergsten
2. Sofia Mathilda Malm (b.1844-Jakobstad;d.25 Jun 1928)
ma: Gustaf Alfred Lönnmark (b.6 Jun 1842;d.9 Apr 1912)
2. Bernhardina Constantia Malm (b.2 Jul 1846-Jakobstad;d.14 Nov 1892)
2. Otto Julius Malm (b.5 Apr 1848-Jakobstad;d.5 Nov 1897)
ma: Alexandra Charlotta Lönnmark (b.17 Jun 1847;d.1915)
2. Axel Viktor Malm (b.5 Apr 1848-Jakobstad;d.1924-Manly Aust,Australia)
ma: Mathilda Överlind
ma: Sophia Davies
3. Victor Charles Malm (b.1893-Manly Aust,Australia;d.1957-Manly Aust,Australia)
ma: OKÄNT
4. Ethel Malm
ma: Smith
5. Trevor Smith
ma: Paulette Smith
2. Hugo Bernhard Malm (b.13 Dec 1851-Jakobstad;d.24 Okt 1874-Jakobstad)
2. Carl Emil Malm (b.28 Mar 1855-Jakobstad)
ma: Lovisa Maria Haeger (b.29 Jul 1887)

Christian

bert
27-06-07, 20:27
Hi al
lI´m also 7th cousin 6 generation back to Per Malm.
BR Bert Lindvall