PDA

View Full Version : Free Church of Finland

June Pelo
31-05-07, 21:57
Someone has asked for information about Petter Anders Jonasson Skutnabba from Pedersöre and his wife Lovisa Simonsdotter Sandvik from Korsholm. The couple left Ostrobothnia sometime after 1850. They were in Lampaala and later in Tavastehus. Their youngest son Axel (Akseli_ Alfred Skutnabb was the founder or one of the founders of the Free Church of Finland ( sometimes called the Skutnabbian Free Church). I am correspondence with two of his granddaughters, Tove Skutnabb-Kangas in Ratskilde, Denmark, and Bjorma Skutnabb in Linköping, Sweden. I am trying to find out how a Torpareson who became a carpenter, could produce a son who strayed so far from the established church and could appeal to both middle class Finland-Swedes and the ethnic Finns. The movement was originally vegetarian. They set up semi-utopian colonies in Brazil, Paraguay and the Dominican Republic in the late 1920s. Tove's father, aunt and step-mother were involved in the Dominican Republic settlement Viljavakka.The Free Church of Finland now disavows infant baptism. Do you have any thoughts about the matter?

June

lasare2
13-10-07, 03:53
June,

Being personally interested in question you raise, I have found two very enliightening websites which provide historic overviews of the history of the Christian church in Scandinavia, particularly Sweden and Finland. Though very "dated" the informative letter by J.P. Tustin on the Church of Sweden
(1876) is worth reading for its historic content.

http://anglicanhistory.org/lutherania/tustin_sweden1876.html

And another website worth reading for the historic value alone "Finland"
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06076d.htm

And the second website for its treatment of "Pietism" appearing in the German Lutheran church 1670, is balanced and historically accurate.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12080c.htm

And a re-read of the "Thirty Years War" (Wikipedia) et al, has one's head
spinning in recalling the cause of that war.

Bill Wright

TapaniP
04-04-08, 18:09
Someone has asked for information about Petter Anders Jonasson Skutnabba from Pedersöre and his wife Lovisa Simonsdotter Sandvik from Korsholm. The couple left Ostrobothnia sometime after 1850. They were in Lampaala and later in Tavastehus. Their youngest son Axel (Akseli_ Alfred Skutnabb was the founder or one of the founders of the Free Church of Finland ( sometimes called the Skutnabbian Free Church). I am correspondence with two of his granddaughters, Tove Skutnabb-Kangas in Ratskilde, Denmark, and Bjorma Skutnabb in Linköping, Sweden. I am trying to find out how a Torpareson who became a carpenter, could produce a son who strayed so far from the established church and could appeal to both middle class Finland-Swedes and the ethnic Finns. The movement was originally vegetarian. They set up semi-utopian colonies in Brazil, Paraguay and the Dominican Republic in the late 1920s. Tove's father, aunt and step-mother were involved in the Dominican Republic settlement Viljavakka.The Free Church of Finland now disavows infant baptism. Do you have any thoughts about the matter?

June
I would like to make a correction to Petter Anders Skutnabba's occupation. He left Pedersöre for the Saimaa canal construction site in 1846 at the age of 17. There he went to school and worked as a stone mason. Ten years later he was given the rank of master builder III-class (byggmästare å stat i III:dje klassen). He was promoted to II and I-class and worked on all the major infrastructure sites (canals, bridges, etc.) in Finland. My guess is that by the late 1800's he was definitely middle class if not upper middle class.

seele01
13-12-08, 04:17
Does anyone know if this Free Church of Finland did missionary work to Africa?

Family lore states my great grandfather, August Isaksson Bergstrom, was a missionary to Africa for a "Finnish Free Church". Could these be the same thing? Unfortunately, I have NO clue as to when he was a missionary, however...

Thanks!

Rob Williams

cdahlin
13-12-08, 08:02
The definition "Free churches" in Finland today includes many different churches. The Pentecostal Church, the Baptist Church, the Metodist church a.s.o.

I do not know who this August Isaksson Bergström was, but I know that there was a blacksmith in the south part of Finland who's name was Bergström and he was a preacher in the Pentecostal church. This man was called "Smeden på Karmel" and walked from place to place where he kept religious meetings. His son was my teacher in the vocational school in Karis (80 km west of Helsingfors) in 1973. Perhaps your man could be related. I think I could find out the complete name of this "Smeden på Karmel".

The "free churches" in Finland today have missionary works in many places all over the world.

Christian

cdahlin
13-12-08, 16:58
Hello again!

I'd like to make a correction to my previous post. The man who was called "Smeden på Karmel" was Gunnar Bengtström, not Bergström.

Christian

seele01
20-12-08, 00:58
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I dont think that is my guy, but I appreciate you checking and looking it all up! That was very kind of you.

Rob Williams