PDA

View Full Version : Villnäs or Johnsson or Willäs ???

SusanR
09-06-07, 08:23
You are all such a great help and I need it again.

I got some papers from my Great-Aunt's son-in-law with some Family Tree information. Now, he doesn't know much about it and just said he hoped it will help me.

This is the confusing part:

My G-Aunt (Hulda Snabb) married Frans Wilhelm (Vilhelm) Johnson (born 15-Apr 1897 Finland)and it is his family that is confusing me.

1. One hand written paper lists his father as Anders Jonson, mother Johanna Lovisa ??? (down below it says Family changed name to Willnäs - date not known BUT

2. I have a Ämbertsbetgy which lists Anders Vilheml Jonasson VILLNÄS and Johanna Lovisa Karlsdotter Kronholm, and then lists my G-Uncle and his brothers & sisters BUT

3. Then I have 3 obits for Johanna Willnäs & Ester Maria Backlund & Karl Gustav Willnäs (first names on the Ämbertsbetgy)

So, an I right in thinking:

Frans (my G-Uncle) changed the spelling of his name to Johnson when he came to the US

At some point, the Jonasson name was Villnäs and they changed it to Willnäs.

Backlund is Ester Maria's married name??

Oh this is confusing.

Thanks if you can tell me if I have it right.

Susan

granskare
09-06-07, 14:41
It always helps to tell us where in USA or Canada unless of course the person(s) did not emigrate.

I decided to put a Swedish flag as an icon just to be ornery :)

Karen Norwillo
09-06-07, 17:23
The Willnäs and Villnäs aren't too confusing The old spelling was probably the "V" as they didn't use many W's in old records. As far as the Johnson, don't know. If his father was Anders then his patronymic would be Andersson.
Then maybe he just decided to use Johnson for no particular reason or decided to stick with his father's patronymic of Jonasson and it got changed to Johnson in the US. You don't find many Jonasson's.

SusanR
09-06-07, 19:28
It always helps to tell us where in USA or Canada unless of course the person(s) did not emigrate.

I decided to put a Swedish flag as an icon just to be ornery :)

I believe my G-Uncle Frank went - New York to California to Washington State and maybe also Georgia.

SusanR
09-06-07, 19:29
The Willnäs and Villnäs aren't too confusing The old spelling was probably the "V" as they didn't use many W's in old records. As far as the Johnson, don't know. If his father was Anders then his patronymic would be Andersson.
Then maybe he just decided to use Johnson for no particular reason or decided to stick with his father's patronymic of Jonasson and it got changed to Johnson in the US. You don't find many Jonasson's.

Ok, so I will leave him as Johnson, his father as Villnäs, and just post the obits with the name Willnäs.

Susan

June Pelo
09-06-07, 21:44
Susan,

Here's some background on Frans Wilhelm's ancestry:

Jonas Andersson Backa-Sandsund, married 27 Dec 1868 in Pedersöre to Lena Lisa Jonasdotter Neckman, b. ca 1839, d. 30 Jan 1896. Jonas and Lena Lisa had a son Anders Vilhelm Jonasson, b. 31 Dec 1869, Kyrkoby, Sandsund, Pedersöre, who married 12 Jan 1896 to Johanna Lovisa Karlsdotter Kronholm, b. 23 Sep 1873, Kisor farm, Westersundsby, Pedersöre. She was the daughter of Karl Eriksson Kisor-Kronholm, married 16 Sep 1860 to Anna Lovisa Jakobsdotter Höglund from Skutnäs.

Anders Vilhelm Jonasson and Johanna Lovisa Karlsdotter had 3 children born at Skutvik farm, Westersundsby, Pedersöre:
- Frans Vilhelm Andersson, b. 15 Apr 1897
- Anna Elvira Andersdotter, b. 30 Oct 1900
- Ida Johanna Andersdotter, b. 19 Apr 1903

I think these family lines can be traced back in time. There was no indication of Villnäs on HisKi. Perhaps it was a farm name? As for the letters W and V, they were used interchangeably. When my father went to school in Finland in the early 1900s he learned to pronounce Vilhelm as Wilhelm, Valborg as Walborg, vinegar as winegar, etc. So whether a name was spelled with V or W is unimportant. As has been mentioned before, there were no surnames as such. Everyone had a patronymic (such as your Jonasson) and some people used farm or village names as a "last name" (Villnäs/Willnäs) and that name changed as they moved from farm to farm.

June

Karen Norwillo
09-06-07, 22:34
Susan,
Do you have any idea when he emigrated?
I found one possible entry on the 1930 census in California. I am attaching the image. He is using the name Francis Johnson, wife name Hulda and the age is correct and he's from Finland. Frans was often Americanized to Francis or Frank, as my uncle did. The only Frank Johnson I found on the SSDI with the exact birthdate died Jan 1964 in PA.
Karen

SusanR
10-06-07, 08:11
Thanks, June - yes that matches some of the information I have on him, so it should be correct. His obit says he was born in Jakobstad, Finland on April 15, 1897.

Karen - I have read through the rest of the papers, and I think that might be him in the Census, because both their kids were born in San Francisco. That is also where he married my G-Aunt Hilda.

His obit says that he left Finland and then came to the US from Canada in 1922, then moved to Anacortes, Washington - which is the only place I knew him from. They are both died and were buried there, as well as their son, Robert. What I found interesting is that I also now have a bunch of military papers for him as well.

Susan

Karen Norwillo
10-06-07, 17:19
Susan.
What type of military papers and what name was used on them? That might help to find more info.
I found both Hulda and Frans on the SSDI and yhe WA Death Index.
Frans W Johnson 15 Apr 1897, died 24 Jan 1976 in Anacortes, Skagit, WA
Hulda M Johnson 27 June 1904, died 13 Dec 1981 Anacortes

From the CA Birth Index
Robert William Johnson born 30 Dec 1938 in San Francisco county, mmn. Snabb
I found a Frans W Johnson arriving Seattle on SS Victorian Dec 1920, but age is off a few years, says 25. Says arrived from St John, maybe Nova Scotia, Canada?
Karen

SusanR
10-06-07, 21:51
Karen - yes, that is them. They also have a daughter, Hazel, whose husband is the one that has sent me all the information. Unfortunately, I only got to meet them all in the mid-1960's as my family is not all that close and as of last summer, they have all passed away, except for Verne (the husband).

He sent me numerous papers:

Obits:

2 for Frans Wilhelm Johnson (one from Anacortes & one from Finland)
1 for Hilda Johnson (Hulda's sister - they married men with the same last name but no relation - but Hilda's husband is suppose to be somehow related to us, his name was Viktor Johnson)
1 for Emil Forsman (my GG Uncle that Hilda & Hulda both came to when they came to America, my Grandmother could not get in as she had health problems so she came to Canada)
Johannes Edvard Snabb (brother of Hilda & Hulda)
Johanna Alina Skägg (sister of Hilda & Hulda )
Ester Maria Backlund (sister of Frans, I assume)
Violet Okerman (daughter of Emil Forsman, her husband was Ainer Okerman also from Finland)
Karl Gustav Willnäs (brother of Frans, I assume)

The Ambetsbetyg that I mentioned before for Anders Vilhelm Jonasson Villnas & family

An article on Erik Arvid Holmes - born in Finland on May 11, 1908 and died Fed 5, 1981 in Anacortes (I don't know who he is)

An article all in Swedish - I don't know what it is about, but I think it has something to do with someone maybe Anders Holmlund and there is one line that stand out - Den 11 oct. va det annars 30 ar sedan tre personer ur en family drunkade pa ungefar samma stalle) - sounds like someone was drunk?

The papers for Frans:

Avgangsbetyg for Frans Wilhelm Johnsson - totally in Swedish, it has his birtdate and is signed on 31 maj 1911

The papers were received when his son, Bob wrote and got them from Finnish War Department - the translated letter says the the Speaker of the Finnish Senante, as the repository of supreme power, has decided to confer on you
The Cross of the Order of the Cross of Liberty, 4th Class for services in connection with the war, a medal of which will be delivered to you in due time.

Then there are several certificates that were attached to the translated letter.

They all refer to him as Frans Johnsson.

Then there is a paper that is all in Finnish that I think was allowing him to go to Amerika? There is also one for Hulda

I think that is all.

Susan

Karen Norwillo
10-06-07, 22:34
Susan,
The line you mention has nothing to do with being drunk. It sounds like the person and maybe his family drowned on Oct 11. Someone with better Swedish than I can translate accurately. Karen

SusanR
10-06-07, 23:07
Karen, thanks.

I put the word into a swedish to english translation site and it said that the closest meaning was drunkard but after your note, I tried English to Swedish for the word drownand it said "drunkna", so maybe drunkade is because it is more than one person, which is sad.

I can wait til Fall when I plan on taking a Swedish language course.

Susan

June Pelo
11-06-07, 02:35
It said that on Oct 11 it was 30 years since 3 people from one family drowned in about the same place.

June

SusanR
11-06-07, 04:41
Thanks June, I am going to have to sit down and try to translate it, I don't know if it is about someone I am related to or if someone that Frans was related to.

Susan

Karen Norwillo
11-06-07, 16:55
Susan,
I purchased A Swedish Genealogical Dictionary by Phyllis J Pladsen, Joseph C Huber and Eric B Pladsen about a year ago. It's just a spiral bound soft-cover booklet, but it sure has come in handy.You can order it through her son at Pladsen Sveria Press 2185 Randy Ave. White Bear Lake, MN 55110 It's a no-nonsense booklet and has been invaluable. I tried regular dictionaries, but they're not geared to genealogy. I can't remember exactly how much it cost, but it wasn't expensive. If you "Google" Pladsen and the title, I think you can find it . Karen

StefanJ
06-07-07, 12:58
Susan,

Frans Vilhelm Willnäs had a brother Karl Gustav Willnäs b. 21 Aug 1909 d. 1966. Karl was a farmer and the farm itself is one of the Skutvik farms. His son is still living there. The familyname Willnäs is still used in Finland!

StefanJ

SusanR
06-07-07, 16:54
Thank you StefanJ. I always love to find out about more relatives.

Susan

bert
08-07-07, 11:39
Hello all
You was right about the "drunknade " .It´s means that several persons drovned at the same time.
BR Bert

bert
08-07-07, 11:41
Hello again
Sorry ,I ansvered towrong tread.

SusanR
08-07-07, 20:05
I don't know if it is too big to post, but this is the article. I don't know who they are talking about and how it relates in my Family.

Susan

cdahlin
08-07-07, 20:17
The article is talking about how 4 bodies of the drowned men were found and about their funeral. They were:

*Anders Holmlund, found Oct 2nd, 2 days after the accident
*Alvar Ohls, found Oct 10th
*Anton Enholm, found Nov 12th
*Selim Norrgård, found in Larsmo Nov 16th

The men were from Björkö near Vasa.

Christian

SusanR
08-07-07, 22:34
Interesting. I will have to try and figure out the connection. It must be through my G-Uncle Frank, but then my G-Aunt was born in Björkö, so it could be through her.

Susa