PDA

View Full Version : The family of Gehrls from Germany..

Rodney K. Hasting
13-06-07, 06:58
On my Grandmother's side of the family, I can not find when they emigrated from Germany.

Grandmother: Louise Anna (Nyberg) Gehrls b. 10 Jul 1897 in Radenberg, Illinois, died 30 Nov 1969 in Greenrock, Illinois. All of the family lived in Warren, Marshall, Minnesota.

Father: Fred Henry Gehrls b. 15 Oct 1862 in Warren, Marshall, Minnesota. I beleive either he or his Father emigrated from Germany.
Mother: Mary (Gillerman) Gehrls b. 30 Apr 1869 in Radenberg, Illinois, died 08 Dec 1931.
Siblings-All Gehrls:
Charlotte Mary Martha b. 16 Sep 1887
Emma b. 21 Aug 1889
William Henry b. 07 Sep 1891
Clara b. 03 Jan 1894
Albert George Fredrick b. 25 Aug 1895
Annie Augusta b. 08 Jan 1904
Hugo b. 13 Feb 1907
I just need to find out if Fred Henry Gehrls or his father had emigrated to USA. I can not find Fred's father's name...HELP..Thank You, Rodney

Karen Norwillo
13-06-07, 16:37
Rodney,
Attached is the 1910 census for Warren, MN for the Fred Gehrls family. It says he emigrated from Germany in 1880. 1920 census says he was from Alsace-Lorraine and says 1880. 1930 census also says 1880 emigration. I found several other Fred or Friederich Gehrls on passenger lists, but not him.
I did find a Friederich Gehrls born abt 1862 on the Mecklenburg-Schwerin Census for 1867. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that on Ancestry. Living in Ritteramt, Gadebusch, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania.
I found Fred Gehrls on the MN Death Index 14 June 1939 in Marshall County, MN, but can't verify it's him, no DOB given.
I found another Fred Gehrls and his wife Elizabeth arriving from Germany 30 Jul 1892, from Bohemia, he's a smith. I found them again in 1900 in Saginaw, MI, but says no children. Thought maybe he was Fred's father. Also found a Johan Gehrls and wife arriving 27 Nov 1885 from Mecklenburg.
Karen

Rodney K. Hasting
13-06-07, 18:24
Hello Karen;
I thank you for all your information. I copied your message and attachment, and will now begin searching for more, as at least now I have something to search. I knew Fred had emigrated to USA from Germany, but had no leads. It seams odd to me, that my Nyberg family, has little or no information on the woman's side of the clan. It has been mostly about "Nyberg Men". The women of the Nyberg clan was the backbone of the families, this I know, as I have known many of them. They were steadfast, stronge willed, and very active. Thank You again Karen....Rodney

sune
13-06-07, 18:31
Google is a good tool for genealogy purposes also. Check this http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=hvidsten_m&id=I06079

There is Melissa Hvidsten's ahnentafel containing Fred Henry Gehrls among others and there is also Melissa's e-mail address, perhaps she knows more.

Happy searching

Sune

Rodney K. Hasting
13-06-07, 18:37
Hello Karen;
I thank you for all your information. I copied your message and attachment, and will now begin searching for more, as at least now I have something to search. I knew Fred had emigrated to USA from Germany, but had no leads. It seams odd to me, that my Nyberg family, has little or no information on the woman's side of the clan. It has been mostly about "Nyberg Men". The women of the Nyberg clan was the backbone of the families, this I know, as I have known many of them. They were steadfast, stronge willed, and very active. Thank You again Karen....Rodney

Rodney K. Hasting
14-06-07, 09:45
Thank You Sune--I checked out her site! Yes, her Thomas William Vary, had married my Grandmother's sister, Anna (Annie) Augusta Gehrls. I emailed her giving her information. I have a few old-time pictures of the Gehrls from Minnesota, but I only know my Grandmother, but the older gentelman with the white handel-bar musstash, has to be Fred Henry Gehrls. Thank You again...Rodney K. Hasting