PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Finn

Cherykery
28-07-07, 10:23
Hi All,
I found this site quite by chance and am so glad that I have. I have been doing genealogy for about a year and have been fortunate to have found much family information. The best part is that I have found my fathers' 3rd cousins from Finland and am now in contact with them. This may be a little long...these are the family names I am looking for information on....

I am researching my Great Grandfather, John Jones born abt 1856. He came to the US from Finland in 1881. He changed his name when he came here and as of yet we have not been able to learn his given name. He married Anna Walborg Ämmälä (born 1 Dec 1873) in abt 1900. They had 4 children, Ina Wilhelmina, William John, Karlo/Carl and Walter B. John died between Sep 1912when Walter was born and 1920 when Anna was on the census in Minneapolis, Minnesota as a widow.

Researching Joel Hokkanen, 13 Aug 1882, Karstula, Vassa, Finland. He was born to Anna Huhtala, 07 Oct 1855, Karstula, Vassa, Finland. Father is unknown and he was raised by his grandparents until he came to the US; Philadelphia Passenger Lists, Sailing from Liverpool 27 Sep 1899 and arriving in US Oct 1899 on ship Rhynland. He married Ida Ahola in Waukegan, Illinois 02 Aug 1902. They had 9 children, 5 born in Waukegan, Illinois and 4 born in Meeker Co., Minnesota. He died 19 Feb 1953 in Sanford, Seminole, Florida, US and is buried in Meeker Co., Minnesota. Joel's father came to the US and lived in Ohio until his death at which time Joels' daughter, Eleanora, was a child. Joel and his half-siblings had an uncle, August Hokkala, who also lived in Kingston, Minnesota. Maybe some of these clues will help me to find my G-G-Grandfather Hokkanen and family.

Researching John (Peter?) Rappana (Raappana) born abt 1837 in Finland, died 3Mar 1900. He married Christina (Greta S) born abt Aug 1843, died 13 May 1927. They married either in Finland or Norway. They had a son, John Peter born in Norway, abt 1871. Son Charles Abram (Carl) born 8 Oct 1873 in Michigan. They had 7 other children all born in Meeker Co. Minnesota between 1875 and 1888 - Edward, William F, Hilda, Oscar, Hjalmar, Ella and Hilma.

My Grandmother, Milda Mable Rappana married Joel Ewald (Pete) Hokkanen
01 Apr 1933 in a double wedding with Joel's brother Onni Hokkanen and Sylvia Holmes in Minnesota US. Milda passed away 15 Nov 2005. She was the owner of Milda's Cafe in Minneapolis, MN for over 35 years. John & Christina are her grandparents and family members think that Milda said her family came from Rovaniemi.

Thanks All...Nice to be here!
Cheryl in Florida US

steve
27-09-07, 01:00
Hello Cheryl

I ate at Milda's many a time. The last of the ma and pa restaurants :(

Regards
Steve

Cherykery
28-09-07, 11:28
Hello Cheryl

I ate at Milda's many a time. The last of the ma and pa restaurants :(

Regards
Steve

Hi Steve,
How neat to know you have been there. Milda's is still there today. It is run by Milda's daughter and son-in-law. They are only open week-days for breakfast and lunch these days. Thats too bad for all the "Saturday Crowd".
Cheryl

Art Fors
10-12-07, 04:50
Hi Cheryl,

Joel Hokkanen's father could possibly be Elias Juhonpoika Lahtinen born 12.3.1843 in Karstula. Check out the Suku Forum (http://suku.genealogia.fi/archive/index.php/t-430.html) web site. Also the Carlson Family Tree (http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/person.aspx?tid=2772237&pid=-1660421279) at Ancestry.com has Anna Huhtala spouse listed as Lahti.

Art

Art Fors
10-12-07, 05:53
Hi Cheryl,

Parents of Elias Juhonpoika Lahtinen are: Johan Eliasson (Lindulax, Kyyjärvi) and Lisa Jakobsdotter Girs (Pölkki, Kyyjärvi), married 20-01-1840 in Karstula.

Art

Cherykery
11-12-07, 00:38
Thank You Art. Elias was Anna's husband. They married after the birth of Joel. Joel Hokkanen's father is unknown by any of the living ancestors/relations that we know. It has been said that his father was most likely a family member. He lived with Anna's parents even after she married Elias. Joel's granddaughter at one time said that she remembered her father being called to go to his father in Ohio but he had died before he was able to get there. Sadly enough this may remain a dead end for me!
Thanks Again,
Cheryl

Ayla
11-12-07, 19:19
Hi Cheryl,

Warm welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here too but same as you, I came here quite by accident and I wish I had found it long before. It is great to be here and everyone is so helpful. You never know, you may find some distant relatives right here too ;)
I wish you lots of fun and good luck tracing your family.

Ayla

Cherykery
19-12-07, 14:08
Hello All,
I have this thread from Suku Forum and have gotten somewhat of a translation but would like to know if someone could post a reply for me stating that I am Joel Hokkanen's G-G Grandaughter and I am trying to find any information or relatives in Finland. Maybe they speak English? I sure wish I would have been more interested in our family history years ago or in learning the language when I was young.
Thanks for any help... http://suku.genealogia.fi/archive/index.php/t-430.html
Cheryl Keller
Grandparents;
paternal: Jones - Ammälä
maternal: Hokkanen - Rappana