PDA

View Full Version : Jones, Ämmälä & Hokkanen, Rappana

Cherykery
28-07-07, 12:15
I am so hoping that someone here has some information or can help! I have found my Ämmälä family through the internet and am currently in touch, through e-mail, with 2 of my fathers 3rd cousins from Finland...one who lives there and the other living in Sweden.

I am trying to find my paternal Great Grandfather, John Jones born abt 1856. He came to the US from Finland in abt 1881. The earliest Minnesota census record I have found him on is 1895. He changed his name when he came here and as of yet we have not been able to learn his given name. He married Anna Walborg Ämmälä (born 1 Dec 1873) in abt 1900. They had 4 children, Ina Wilhelmina, William John, Karlo/Carl and Walter B. John died between Sep 1913 when Walter was born and 1920 when Anna was on the census in Minneapolis, Minnesota as a widow. A family member vaguely remembers my Grandfather Walter Jones and maternal Grandmother Milda talking and saying that they were distantly related. Anna came to the US abt 1896 and may have gone to her sisters in Cokato, Minnesot - Charley/Kaarle Matias Ruopsa & Kaisa Maria.

Researching Joel Hokkanen, 13 Aug 1882, Karstula, Vassa, Finland. He was born to Anna Huhtala, 07 Oct 1855, Karstula, Vassa, Finland. Father is unknown and he was raised by his grandparents until he came to the US; Philadelphia Passenger Lists, Sailing from Liverpool 27 Sep 1899 and arriving in US Oct 1899 on ship Rhynland. He married Ida Ahola in Waukegan, Illinois 02 Aug 1902. They had 9 children, 5 born in Waukegan, Illinois and 4 born in Meeker Co., Minnesota. He died 19 Feb 1953 in Sanford, Seminole, Florida, US and is buried in Meeker Co., Minnesota. Joel's father came to the US and lived in Ohio until his death at which time Joels' daughter, Eleanora, was a child. Joel and his half-siblings had an uncle, August Hokkala, who also lived in Kingston, Minnesota. Maybe some of these clues will help me to find out about my G-G-Grandfather Hokkanen and family.

Researching John (Peter?) Rappana (Raappana) born abt 1837 in Finland, died 3 Mar 1900 Minnesota. He married Christina (Greta Stina) born abt Aug 1843, died 13 May 1927 Minnesota. They married either in Finland or Norway. They had a son, John Peter born in Norway, abt 1871. Son Charles Abram (Carl) born 8 Oct 1873 in Michigan. They had 7 other children all born in Meeker Co. Minnesota between 1875 and 1888 - Edward, William F, Hilda, Oscar, Hjalmar, Ella and Hilma.

I hope all of this wasn't too confusing! I know I'm getting confused!:D
Thank You All,
Cheryl