PDA

View Full Version : Gedcoms

Denise
22-08-07, 21:29
I just received someone's gedcom. The problem I have is this: I have Brother's Keeper for my ancestry, but I do not want to merge their info. with mine in order to view what they sent. How do I do that? It should be simple, but the last time I tried that, I ended up with doubles of many of my relatives, as theirs merged with mine, and had to go through and delete for hours which turned out to be a huge headache!!!:mad: Thank-you!!!

Best Regards,
Denise

cdahlin
22-08-07, 21:57
I do not use Brother's Keeper so I can't tell you in detail how to do it, but you should open a "New" document and import the new gedcom into that. Then save it under another name.

Do not import it into the same record you have previously.

Christian;)

Denise
22-08-07, 22:05
Christian,
Can I just download a second "brother's keeper" to my computer and transfer the info. that way? :confused: By the way, I'm using the FREE version of Brother's Keeper.

Thank-you,
Denise

June Pelo
22-08-07, 22:56
Denise,

I don't know anything about Brother's Keeper, but you should be able to establish a new database with a new name and import the new data into it. You'll have two databases in your genealogy program - the original one and the new one. They'll be separate and you should be able to open both of them side-by-side so you can drag or copy names from the new one into your first database. At least, I can do that with my program.

When I receive a gedcom from someone, I save it in my Download file under a different name and then establish a new database in my genealogy program. When it asks where to find the new data, I indicate it's saved in Downloads and it is then transferred from there into my newly set up database. Just be sure you don't set up the new database with the same name as your first database. I have 8 gedcoms sent to me by various people, and have set up 8 separate databases within my genealogy program.

June

Hasse Andtbacka
23-08-07, 04:59
Denise,
simply add a new folder where you want to keep your new database.
Open Brother's Keeper, klick: File - Open database, browse to the empty folder.
You have now an empty database.
Import the gedcom file by clicking File - Gedcom - Import and put in the gedcom file you want to have there.

It may take some minutes, but now you have your new database. You can change between your databases with File - Open database.

Good Luck!

Hasse A

Denise
23-08-07, 05:42
Thank-you June, Christian and Hasse! :D
I have been able to successfully download the gedcom I received; you see, I was a bit intimidated, as the person sent me 29,000 new names!!! and now that I look at it, I think I can merge his with mine, (only 2400 names) as I seem to have mostly the Finnish end of his genealogy, where he left off, and then delete any duplicates. Is that possible? If so, am I creating a bigger headache for myself?

Thank-you for any input or lessons to be learned!!!

Love you all,
Denise ;)

Hasse Andtbacka
23-08-07, 06:37
Hi Denise,
I have only bad experiences of merging databases in Brother's Keeper. Guess the situation is the same for other genealogy programs.

My advise is, keep them separate!

Hasse A

Lasse1951
23-08-07, 11:07
Hi Denise,

I use a program called GedViewer from www.mudcreek.ca to be able to look at gedcoms that I receive from others.
They have a free version and a more advanced one that costs a few dollars.

Lasse

Denise
23-08-07, 12:28
Dear Hasse and Lasse,
Thank-you for the advice, which I will follow! :D I appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Denise

Lasse1951
23-08-07, 18:07
Denise and all others,

My experience about merging gedcom files:

About a year ago I merged 3 separate gedcom files, mine and two others, all about 40000 people, ending up in about 90000 persons. I used a program called genmerge. The program works just fine, the problem is that the creators of the gedcom doesn't, there is simply too many ways of entering names, especially over here in Finland. Some enters for example my name as Lars Johan Wilhelm Leifinpoika Holm, other as Lars Johan Wilhelm Leifsson Holm, and I enter it as it should be Lars Johan Wilhelm Holm. All those patronyms Leifinpoika or Leifsson doesn't belong to the name and should be entered into some other field maybe remarks or something, to keep the real name clean from unwanted information that doesn't belong to the name.
In Finland we also have the problem that the surname changed maybe many times according to where you lived, and different researchers might use the names differently.

Well, that behaviour makes it almost impossible for the merge process to be able to compare the names correctly, even if it can compare the parents and/or birth/death dates correctly.

I got lucky, and ended up with only about 300-400 duplicates that I could pinpot by creating an descendancy report to proofread. Totally I believe that I saved a few hundred hours of keying in data.

I use two genealogy programs, Brothers Keeper and Family-Historian, Family-Historian for my day to day work with genealogy data, and to get nice graphical pic's of the data, but for more serious reports I use Brothers Keeper, I like the layout and cross referencies of the programs reports.
Family-Historian have a real good merge/import function also, but when your database increeses in size it need good nerves to wait for the program to finnish the task.
Genmerge is able of creating a combined database of 200000 persons, so if your person amount are bigger don't buy the program.
Family-Historian is very nice and easy to work with, the reports are good, but not as I like to have them.
There is no program that is ideal, one allway's need to use one or more programs to be able to get things as wanted, it's only a question of finding those few programs that gives what's wanted. By the way to create my graphical charts on my websites I use a program from The Netherlands called Genealogica Grafica, have a look, the sites listed here under.

Cheers,

Lasse Holm (notice, my nickname!)

www.the-holms.org , www.sursill.net

Denise
23-08-07, 21:41
Hi Lasse,
I'm merging them now!!! Only on my computer at work; and I'll keep the one at home safe. Thank-you for the insight, and your own experiences. I truly appreciate it.

By the way, NICE WEBSITE!!!! :D

Best Regards,
Denise

Roy Lager
26-09-07, 00:46
I only use "Family Tree Maker 2006, Version 16" and never merge any kind of report. I print the reports out and then enter them manually. It saves hours of time not having to remove duplicate individuals. However, FTM 2008 is not recommended as they have made changes and patches are being issued. Something is wrong when patches are required. Roy

June Pelo
26-09-07, 02:01
Hi Roy. It's good to see your name online again. Hope you're chugging along with your database. I agree about merging data. As I mentioned previously, I download and save data received from others, and then I split the screen and have my database on one side and the new data on the other side. I compare the names and if I want to add the new data, I can drag it into my database. But most of the time people enter names differently than I do, so I prefer to be selective about the way I add new data.
June

Denise
27-09-07, 17:10
Hi Roy,
I merged them together, but only had about 30 names that were duplicates, out of over 33,000, so it was easier to delete than entering thousands of names manually. Thank-you for the information on Family Tree Maker; good advice for the future.

Best Regards,
Denise

Alice Finnerty
28-09-07, 23:57
Thank you for all this great information - I just learned a bunch...
but here is a question....
instead of merging - Is it possible to separate families or ged files.
Example...When I started (I use Family Tree Legends)
I put my husbands side in with my side and now I want to separate them
without re-typing it all....(I know...what a dumb thing to do)..
Anyone know if this is possible?
Alice

Hasse
01-10-07, 10:40
Thank you for all this great information - I just learned a bunch...
but here is a question....
instead of merging - Is it possible to separate families or ged files.
Example...When I started (I use Family Tree Legends)
I put my husbands side in with my side and now I want to separate them
without re-typing it all....(I know...what a dumb thing to do)..
Anyone know if this is possible?
Alice

Everything is possible - but some tricks may be tedious...

If your two branches are well "isolated" from each others you might use the technique I have used in the past.

Create a copy of your database
use the copy
cut the tie between you an your husband in the database
identify all relatives to you (usually a function in the SW)
mark these relatives
export marked only entries to your intermediate ged file
import the ged file into a new "My database"
export the non-marked entries to "My husband's database"If you have too many bonds between your data and your husbands you of course have to figure out which material to mark and which not.

Hasse