PDA

View Full Version : Starting point for Samuel and Alma Vanni, Teckla Lehtimaki

markhere
01-09-07, 22:17
Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I'm afraid that I do not have much with which to begin my search. According to the US census records, my great-grandfather:

Samuel H. Vanni
b 1877 Finland [1920 census] or 1879 Finland [1910 census]
d approx 1930 in Negaunee, MI
immigrated to Negaunee, MI in 1899 [1920 census] or 1902 [1910 census]
married approximately 1912 in Negaunee, MI

My great-grandmother:

Alma M. [I do not know her maiden name]
b 1894 Finland [1920 census] or 1893 [1930 census]
immigrated to MI in 1909, probably to Negaunee
widowed in 1930 census

My other Finnish great-grandmother:

Teckla Lehtimaki or Tekla Maki
b 1888 [1910 and 1930 census] or 1887 [1920 census]
married Nils Hendrickson on July 23, 1910 in Negaunee, MI
immigrated to Negaunee, MI in 1909
LDS data indicate that her perants may have been Johand Gustaf and Amalia Lehtimaki from Luhanka, Mikkeli, Finland

I realize that this is very little to go on but I'd appreciate any starting point in terms of home parishes, Finnish names, and immigration information. I'd be happy to share the Finnish-Swede information I have alreayd compiled for the Hendrickson/Henriksson family that immigrated to Negaunee as well.

Thank you,
Mark

granskare
02-09-07, 01:03
I didn't see anything on your bio page except the surnames you are researching so I somehow missed your location.
I emailed the former Finnish church in Gwinn (now Grace) to see if they were the old Finnish church (they were) and did they have the old books (yes they did and they gave me some good info - I went up there and copied a lot of good info.
I recommend you find the church addresses, hope for email, and get going that way. You might have done that but I could not be sure. I have info for the Finnish church in Champion and in Crystal Falls and then the Swedish churches. I could not find them in the listings but that's no surprise because only about 1/3 of emigrants joined while most used baptismal, funeral, and marriage ceremonial events.
Good luck,
Chuck (I like to confuse ppl by using a Swedish flag icon but one of these days, I will get a reply in Swedish :)

markhere
02-09-07, 03:12
Chuck,

I just updated my profile to include more information, including my own flag. Thank you for the suggestion regarding direct church contact.

I was hoping that a good electronic database exists containing parish records and immigration/emmigration records. I've had good success with the Swedish and Norwegian branches of our family using such systems. The Finnish-Swedes of my family were relatively easy to track using Genline.

I know that my grandparents were life-long members of Immanuel Lutheran in Negaunee but I'm not so certain about church memberships of my great-grandparents. Do you know of any other Finnish Lutheran churches in the Negaunee and Ishpeming areas?

Thank you,
Mark

granskare
02-09-07, 04:10
Immanuel Luth is the Finnish church in Negaunee.
Ishpeming - Suomi Synod
Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church

So there they are. I got them from here:
http://www.genealogia.fi/church/index.htm
left side, scroll down to churches.
once there, it's usa, scroll down to michigan and you can find them.

I don't believe they are at Champion as members of that Finnish church (I have that list and I did not find any of the surnames you listed. Champion got into Augustana (Swedish) synod by merging with the church at Michigamme which is why those records at with the Swedish films at Swenson Center in Rock Island, IL

http://www.digiarkisto.org/sshy/index_eng.htm /this is new but it won't help with ship stuff but thought you would like to know. Like genline but no charge.

chuck

Denise
02-09-07, 04:44
Hi Mark,
On the Migration Institute http://www.migrationinstitute.fi/index_e.php I found Tekla Lehtimäki's passenger record.

Denise

Last name Lehtimäki

First names Tekla
Age or age group 19
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Negaunee
State of destination MI
Country of destination USA
Price of ticket FIM 310
Ship from Finland Arcturus
Date of departure from Finland 06.03.1907
Ship from England Cymric
Date of departure from England 14.03.1907
Ocean Line White Star Line
Port of departure in England *
List and page 52/68
Remarks *

markhere
02-09-07, 20:15
Nancy,

Thank you for the immigration record. I've read several immigration guides but I'm still uncertain if the port of departure is a strong indicator of the home parish. Perhaps I can find Teckla's home parish some other way.

Chuck,

The reason I wondered about other Finnish churches in the Negaunee area is that a signficant portion of Negaunee was on "caving grounds" due to underground mining, so whole neighborhoods were actually moved. This activity included some churches, no doubt. I know that Immanuel celebrated their centennial in 1987 so that is probably the best place for me to inquire.

Thanks again,
Mark

Denise
03-09-07, 05:05
Hi Mark,
I'm having a very difficult time reading this passenger manifest, but this ship, the Vancouver, left Liverpool, England on 14.03.1907. Your Tekla will be on this manifest. All of my Finnish ancestors going to the U.P. of Michigan came through Canada. These passenger records cannot be searched by putting the person's name in search, so you have to go page by page. I understand that these Canadian passenger records are being transcribed, but until that happens you have to know what date a ship departed from Finland, then England, and then add about 10-12 days from England to Canada. Let me know if you can't figure out how to use this site.
Good Luck,
Denise

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/

Passenger Lists, 1865-1922
Detailed Description
View Image Results | Search
Ship: VANCOUVER
Shipping Line: Dominion Line
Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1907-03-14
Port and Date of Arrival: Halifax, N.S. - 1907-03-26
Portland, ME - [1907-03]
Remarks: List Number: 630791
Reference: RG 76
Microfilm: T-502

markhere
03-09-07, 16:53
Denise,

Thank you for that information! I've wasted quite a bit of time on the obvious locations like NY and Boston.

I subscribed to the Immigration Institute and found some interesting information. According to the 1920 US census, Samuel H. Vanni is listed. I found the following passport information on the system:

First names Samuli Heikki
Other names *
Date of birth 08.10.1876
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. pka
Home parish Pyhäjärvi
Province OU
Passport date 27.01.1905
Passport number 81
Passport valid (year:month) 5:0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by KUO
Remarks *

First names Samuel
Other names *
Date of birth . .1876
Marital status 1
Religion Lut.
Occupation Taloll. pka
Home parish Pyhäjärvi
Province OU
Passport date .03.1902
Passport number 0
Destination Amerikka
Passport issued by HKO
Remarks *

I also found the following immigration records:

First names Sami
Age or age group 26
Port of departure Hanko
State of destination MI
Price of ticket USD 59
Date of departure from Finland 29.03.1902
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England 99.99.9999
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 28/23
Remarks *

First names Samuel
Age or age group 29
Port of departure Hanko
State of destination MI
Price of ticket FIM 324
Date of departure from Finland 01.02.1905
Ship from England Campania
Date of departure from England 11.02.1905
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 42/92
Remarks *

First names Samuli
Age or age group 32
Port of departure Hanko
State of destination MI
Price of ticket FIM 365
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 20.02.1909
Ship from England Lusitania
Date of departure from England 27.02.1909
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 70/41
Remarks *

These records look very promising but I want to make sure to interpret them correctly. Do they mean that two different Sam Vannis traveled to Negaunee or could it mean that the same person traveled twice. Either way, the Samuli Heikki Wänni records appear to be the most consistent with the census records.

I'd like some feedback from some of you who are more experienced using the Finnish records.

Thank you,
Mark

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 17:42
Mark,
Actually, all three of them on the passenger lists and two on passports could very well be the same person, 1902-1905-1909. He may have returned and went back to Negaunee several times. The ages are correct for the years between trips. Do you have a correct date of birth to compare with the 1902 passport? If they match then you've got his parish Pyhäjärvi.
There are many Wänni names found on Hiski in Pyhäjärvi, but unfortunately, the records only go to 1853.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 18:14
Here is Sam Henry Wanni's Draft Card for WWI. You'll see he is called Wanni. Sam Henry=Samuli Heikki. Hope this helps. You'll see his wife is Alma Marie Wanni.
Karen

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 18:31
Here's the 1905 arrival for Samuel Wänni in New York on Campania. Arrived 19 Feb 1905, 28, single, was in Negaunee before 1902-1904, going to brother Matti Wänni in Negaunee, MI. He's on line 23. You can find the Matt Wanni family with wife Josephine in Negaunee on many census records on Ancestry.com. Karen

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 18:56
Found the 1902 and 1909 arrival for Samuel. Both under Wänni, one Sami, later Samueli. Ships match your Finland emigration records. The 1902 is on line 18, the 1909 you'll see Lusitania is crossed out as ship and Mauritania witten above. You'll see Pyhäjärvi listed on one as his home. Karen

markhere
03-09-07, 19:36
Karen,

Thank you for all of these materials. I'm contacting my aunt who may have the dates for my great-grandparents. She has most of the family pictures and notes.

If that doesn't work, I'll do as Chuck suggested and contact the church(es) directly. My grandparents have only recently died and they had many friends at the Negaunee church.

You've given me a great start. Regarding the parish records, do earlier records not exist, were they destroyed, or maybe are they in Sweden? I do not know the history of that parish.

Thank you,
Mark

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 21:24
The early records for Pyhäjärvi are on Hiski, they stop at 1853. That just means that is as far as Hiski has them available at this time. If you have your great-grandparents patronymics, I can look at the older records for their births etc. There was alot of Wänni info to 1853. Karen

markhere
03-09-07, 21:55
Karen,

Thanks for the claification. Perhaps additional records will be available in the coming years.

I do not have great-grandparent's patronymics. However piecing together the Insitute of Migration, LDS, and census data as well as what you just posted for me, here is what I have so far:

Samuli Heikki Wänni (Samuel H. Vanni), Oct Aug 8, 1876 [Aug 8, 1876 on US draft card] Pyhäjärvi, Oulun, Finland – 1930 Negaunee, MI, passport date Mar 1902 and Jan 27, 1905, farmer’s son, nat 1907, iron miner *1910 and timberman *1920, traveled to Negaunee from home parish in 1902, 1905, and 1909, left for Negaunee, MI from Hanko, Finland Mar 29, 1902 aboard Arcturus, left England on Cunard Line ship on uknown date

Father: Kaaleb Wänni (Charles/Caleb Vanni),
Mother: Julia/Juliana Niemi,

Brother: Matti Wänni (Matt N. Vanni), b 1875 Finland, im 1889 or 1893, married, miner *1910, 1920, 1930
Wife: Josephina/Josefiina [Luna] Kahma [Father Matt Kahma], b 1877 Finland – 1952, im in 1890, nat 1907, m Feb 16, 1901 Ishpeming, MI

Brother: Kaleb Wänni, Nov 5, 1872 Pyhäjärvi, Oulun, Finland, passport date May 16, 1905, farmer’s son, left for Negaunee, MI from Hanko, Finland Jun 28, 1905 aboard Polaris, left England Jul 4, 1705 aboard Saxonia (Cunard)

Sister: Anna Greta Wänni (Annie Vanni), 1881 Pyhäjärvi, Oulun, Finland, passport date Jun 1, 1900, farmer’s daughter
Husband: Abbo Auvinen, m Aug 19. 1905 Negaunee, MI, [Father: Henry Auvinen, Mother: Annie Heskanen]

Sister: Juljaana Wänni (Juliana Vanni), Nov 12, 1884 Pyhäjärvi, Oulun, Finland, passport date Dec 20, 1904, farmer’s daughter, left for Negaunee, MI from Hanko Finland Dec 21, 1904 aboard Arcturus, left England on Dec 28, 1904 aboard Teutonic (WSL)
Husband: Charles Ruhanen, m Apr 30, 1910 Negaunee, MI, [Father: William Ruhanen, Mother: Sofia Biedikanen]

I am still lacking the immigration information for Matti and Anna Greta even after searching a number of combinations. I can find no evidence of Samuel's parents traveling to America. I have quite a bit of information for Matti and Samuel's families if anyone has an interest. I'm listing spouses in case someone has in interest in where the families intersect in Negaunee. Matti's son Matt Jr. lived just a couple of houses away from my grandparents and I grew up knowing his widow and family.

Thanks again,
Mark

markhere
03-09-07, 22:23
The US census records suggest that Samuel's wife Alma M. was born in the 1891 - 1894 range and immigrated in 1909. The data in the Institute of Migration suggests that Alma Seliina Aho of Veteli parish of Vaasa is the best match.

Perhaps someone would help confirm this connection. I'd like to firm that one up before proceeding in more research. If not, I may be able to get that information from one of the Lutheran churches in the area.

Thank you,
Mark

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 23:18
Mark,
Here's the 1909 arrival of Alma and her sister. Looks like destination is Negaunee, MI. Karen

Karen Norwillo
03-09-07, 23:25
Here's page 2. She's second from the bottom.

markhere
04-09-07, 00:05
You are quick with the passenger records, indeed! Thank you.

Mark

Karen Norwillo
04-09-07, 02:53
Looking on Hiski, Veteli records
Alma Seliina was born 14 Jul 1891 to Aaprami Juhonpoika Aho and Sofia, age 33.
Aaprami Juhonpk. Aho and Anna Sofia Heikintytär were married 10 Dec 1887. Both from Pukkila farm.
Anna Sofia was born 21 Mar 1858 to Henrik Andersson and Anna Henriksdotter at Haukilahti farm. This would fit with her age of 33 in 1891.

markhere
04-09-07, 21:52
Karen,

Thank you for the last post. It was instructive in helping me begin to use the Hiski system. It actually is quite useful now that I've learned how to use it and interpret the data.

Well, I must now begin again. My Aunt indicated that my great-grandmother's name was Alma Koskinen. I believe that I found her passenger record but not her passport record:

Last name Koskinen
First names Alma
Age or age group 16
Port of departure Hanko
State of destination MI
Price of ticket USD 61
Ship from Finland Urania
Date of departure from Finland 10.04.1909
Ship from England Victorian
Date of departure from England 16.04.1909
Ocean Line Allan Line
List and page 68/65
Remarks *

If possible, I'd like to obtain the scan/microfilm of the ship manifest to see if key additional information is available. Perhaps someone could help me determine Alma's home parish and birth date.

Incidentally, let me know if someone is looking for the Negaunee Aho family. I've compiled that information back a few generations in the home parish.

Thank you,
Mark

Karen Norwillo
04-09-07, 22:14
Mark,
I'll check out Ancestry to see if the manifest is there. In the meantime, this may be the Johan Gustaf Lehtimäki I found on LDS site. Johan Gustaf Lehtimäki born 10 Oct 1861 in Luhanka, Mikkeli, Finland to Erik Gustaf Lehtimäki and Maria Johansdotter. On the Digital Arkives I found a Lehtimäki farm in Judensalo village, Luhanka in 1880 records, but didn't see Johan Gustaf or an Amelia. Karen

Karen Norwillo
04-09-07, 22:26
Mark,
Here's the ships manifest, two pages, from 1909. She's #2 on both. You can magnify them for closer inspection. Also found her in the 1910 census in Negaunee, age 17, a servant in the home of Charles Pulkinen and wife Mary and their 5 children. Karen

markhere
05-09-07, 00:46
Once again, a huge thank you in locating the manifest.

Yes, the LDS record for Johan is the only reference I have been able to find so far. Several other Lehtimaki families lived in the Negaunee/Ishpeming area during the same time period according to census records. However, I have not been able to find any manifests or birth records to indicate which were siblings or otherwise related back in Finland.

Your help has saved me countless hours. Thank you!

Mark

markhere
05-09-07, 03:38
I've been having difficulty determining the birthplace of Alma and her travelmate Sofia Wilén. The place appears to begin with the letters "Sikar". I looked up a few more Koskinens and Wiléns and the names Särklahti and Selkämäki appeared. The names are relatively close but I wonder if someone recognizes the place on the manifest.

The closest record I could find on Hiski is:

Alma Sievä
b 27.7.1894 in Marttila Jaakkola Rastila
c 3.8.1894
Father: Torp Wilhelm Koskinen
Mother: Hilma Sofia Kajander 28

The year of birth is close but the US records Alma's middle name as Maria.

Thank you,
Mark

Karen Norwillo
05-09-07, 22:28
Mark,
I, too, had a hard time trying to figure out what that place name was. Maybe someone else can look at it and hazard a guess. I thought it might be Siikainen. There are Lehtimäki in Hiski there, but records don't go to the years you need. There were several Lehtimäki on the Ellis Island records from there. In the Luhanka records, there is a Johan Gustaf born 6 Jun 1874 to Jonas Eriksson and Caisa Mathilda on Pulkkinen farm. You'll remember that Alma went to work for a Charles Pulkinen in 1910. Karen

markhere
05-09-07, 23:10
Karen,

Thanks for trying. I tried to search the various systems using their fathers' names as well. I'm assuming that Alma's father is Isak. I didn't find anything closer using the various Finnish spellings of her father's name either.

Mark

markhere
08-09-07, 22:08
Many thanks for all of you who got me jumpstarted. I will get my GEDCOM file updated soon to share it with others with an interest in UP Finns.

I'm trying to find the passenger manifest and birth date for Matti Wänni (Matt Vanni born 1864 or 1865), brother of Samuli Heikki Wänni of Pyhäjärvi (Samuel H. Vanni) to Negaunee or Ishpeming. There is a promising Ellis Island record that is close to some of his US census information:

Matti Wanni
Age 29
Arrived May 23, 1893 from Hango Finland
Aboard the Munchen from Breman

Unfortunately, Ellis Island does not have the manifest image available. Is this the only place where such an image can be found? I cannot find a reference to Matti in the Institute of Immigration either. Other records suggest that his father's name was Kaaleb (Caleb).

The census records are not consistent in terms of Matti's birthdate and immigration dates. The 1930 census record indicates that Matti may have had a first marriage in 1890 before he arrived in America in 1892 or 1893.

I also am seeking the passenger manifest images for:

Anna Greta (Annie born 1881 Pyhäjärvi) Wänni who has a passport record dated Jun 1, 1900

Kaleb Wänni (Caleb born Nov 5, 1872 Pyhäjärvi), passport date May 16, 1905, traveled to Negaunee, MI from Hanko, Finland Jun 28, 1905 aboard Polaris, left England Jul 4, 1705 aboard Saxonia (Cunard), and returned to Negaunee from Hanko Mar 11, 1911 aboard Urania, left England Mar 18, 1911 aboard Compania (Cunard)

The Hiski information does not have that recent of data. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thank you,
Mark

granskare
08-09-07, 23:16
I don't know how to put an ancestry manifest here but Kaleb got to Boston, see subject line.

granskare
08-09-07, 23:21
this is the end of the manifest line

granskare
08-09-07, 23:26
and the middle part of the line - whew!

granskare
08-09-07, 23:29
if you have a public library near you, call them and see if they have access to ancestry.com because this is where this came from.
So, not Ellis Island but Boston. I hope this gives useful info - Kaleb is connected to Matti with addresses, etc.

Karen Norwillo
09-09-07, 02:03
Here's the manifests for Kaleb and Matti. The first names for Kaleb were grossly misspelled on Ancestry, but clear on the manifests. I found two arrivals for Kaleb, 1905 and again 1922. I have to go back and save Matti's, it didn't come through correctly.In 1922, the circuit court numbers mean Kaleb had been Naturalized. Karen

Karen Norwillo
09-09-07, 02:15
Here's Matti in 1893. Arrived NY 23 May 1893 from Bremen on "Munchen", to NY. Age 29, born abt 1864. Haven't found Anna Greta as yet, but with spelling errors, it may be there. I found Kaleb interpreted as Kadep and Ralel Wanni on Ancestry. The manifests quite clearly are Kaleb.He arrived 13 Jul 1905, age 33, abt 1872 on Saxonia going to Matti. Second time, 13 Sep 1922 age 50, abt 1872, Majestic to Negaunee. Karen

markhere
09-09-07, 18:25
I appreciate the manifest images! My aunt is going to help me flesh out the Vanni family story. She lives in Negaunee and knows several of the descendants there.

Thank you!

Chuck,

A couple of years ago I used Ancestry.com extensively to build the initial family tree skeleton. It was very useful for the census records. At that time, the foreign and passenger records were a mess and not very useful. Perhaps it is time to give them a try again. The other issue is that I'm already subscribing to other services, like Genline, that already add up to a hefty monthly expense. Karen is demonstrating the usefulness of Ancestry now.

Mark

Karen Norwillo
09-09-07, 22:52
Mark,
No luck finding Anna Greta's arrival, but I did find Juljaana's in 1905. She arrived 5 Jan 1905 to NY on the Teutonic, going to Matti in Negaunee. You had the info, didn't know if you had the manifest. Karen

markhere
10-09-07, 00:20
Thanks for trying.

I know that she survived the journey because she married:

Aappo “Abbo” Heikinp Auvinen
Born Jun 22, 1878 Iisalmi, Kuopio
Married Aug 19, 1905 Negaunee, MI

I have a lot more information about his family than hers! I've managed to compile a few generations of his family back in Finland.

I appreciated everything!
Mark

markhere
12-09-07, 03:00
Well I subscribed to Ancestry.com again to try it again.

I could use a second opinion in my search for an passenger record for Anna Greta Wänni. Here is what I found on the Institute of Migration:

Last name Wänni
First names Anna Greta
Other names *
Date of birth . .1881
Marital status *
Religion *
Occupation Taloll. tr
Home parish Pyhäjärvi
Province OU
Passport date 01.06.1900
Passport number 0
Destination P-Amerikka
Passport issued by KOK
Remarks Sj vanhemmat.

Last name Wanni
First names Anna
Age or age group 18
Port of departure Hanko
Place of destination Fall River
State of destination MA
Price of ticket USD 37
Date of departure from Finland 02.06.1900
Ship from England *
Date of departure from England 99.99.9999
Ocean Line Cunard Line
List and page 16/1
Remarks *

This appears to be a very close match - one day apart. The home parish is a match but I'm wondering about the passenger record. Based upon the experience of some of you, would obtaininng a passport the day before departing for America be possible? I've searched extensively on Ancestry for her passenger record, still no luck. The MA destination also troubles me because she was got married in Negaunee, MI in 1905. Perhaps she was a servant in New England for a couple of years prior to ending up with the rest of her family? If so, that would get me to re-examine some of the passenger records - I was looking for a Michigan destination with some family reference.

Thank you for all the help,
Mark

markhere
12-09-07, 04:53
Just in case someone else is looking for her, I found Tekla Lehtimäki listed on Ancestry.com as "Tekla Lchtimaki".

Mark