PDA

View Full Version : Krokbäck family: Konstantin Ågren

Astrid Holmudd
18-09-07, 18:12
My grandpa Konstantin Ågren, born June 23 1871 in Lappfjärd, Finland, married to my grandma Hilma Adelina Krokbäck 1894-11-18. He went to Canada in 1895. His brother Emil Krokbäck born August 10 1873 lived and died in Port Arthur Canada. As far as I have heard Konstantin worked for his brother Emil who became quite successful in lumbering business. His brother Erland Ågren, born March 19 1880, and brother Ivar born October 3 1884 who took the name Salo as well as his sister Maria Josefina born March 19 1876 emigrated to Canada and the US.

However Konstantin unluckily came into a pub fight and was put into prison. It is said that Konstantin asked one of his brothers to help him to escape from the prison that was situated nearto a sea. Konstantin would try to swim over it. That is all what is known about him. I would like to know the name of the prison and whether he died there and when, poor man, and where he was buried.

There is a grandson of Emil Krokbäck, Wayne Krokbäck, born around 1949 in Port Arthur and still living there. Could his home address be found, so I could write to him.

A descendant of Maria Josefina, Earl Kymala had promised to investigate for me. He did not know that Konstantin was in jail in Canada. Sorry to have found out E A Kymala having passed away in January. Can anybody help?

Karen Norwillo
18-09-07, 20:36
Astrid,
I sent a private message. Hope it's your Wayne. Karen

Astrid Holmudd
08-11-07, 13:27
Karen,
Thank you for your quick reply. Maybe a prison nearto a beautiful sea in the surroundings of Port Arthur could be defined for the period of the very last years of the 1890's and the first decades of the 1900's. My grandfather Konstantin Ågren probably died in the prison. No information ever reached my grandmother Hilma. I would be grateful for any help in tracing my poor grandpa.
Astrid

Astrid Holmudd
19-03-08, 20:56
Thanks for you help to get in touch with Wayne Krokback. I was glad to hear from him. Unfortunately he seems not to be able to help me further with info about my grandpa Konstantin, who also might have used the surname Krokback, as that was the name of the lot where he and my grandma Hilma lived. I understand that the immigrants not seldom avoided telling about their background in Finland. Konstantin left Finland in 1895.

I would very much appreciate any help in tracing him in Port Arthur. Maybe there are any census available?

Astrid Holmudd

Karen Norwillo
19-03-08, 22:26
Astrid,
I checked some of the Canada Census, but didn't find him. I did find a Ivar Salo's WWI Draft Reg. Not sure if it's the correct one. The 1884 date is a match, but the month is off. I also found an arrival for a Maria Ågren which matches the birth year. Was Erland's full name Johan Erland? Was Ivar Ivar Zefanias? Karen

Astrid Holmudd
20-03-08, 15:04
Thank you. Yes, Ivar was Ivar Zefanias and he took the name Salo. In 1977 my father's cousin in Minneapolis, Albert Maki, the son of Victor Krokback (who took the name Maki and lived in Virginia Mn, Victor was my grabndma Hilma's brother) took me to visit with Ivar Salo's two daughters in Thunderbay. Unfortunately I did not know at that time that Ivar Salo was Konstantin's brother, neither did Albert Maki know it nor the daughters. We all thought that Ivar Salo was a good friend of Victor Maki. Maybe the brothers were ashamed of Konstantin being prisoned and they did not talk about him. The brother Erland was Johan Erland and he spelled his surname Ogren as did Maria. This I have found out from E A Kymala's family tree that I found when googling and I can't tell how happy I was getting all that info.
Maybe any crime register in Port Arthur could be found. A person was killed in the pub fight. It was said that the prison was located near to a beautiful sea and that Konstantin had asked one of his brothers to put clothes at the other side of the sea. Konstantin would try to swim over the sea and escape.
Astrid

Karen Norwillo
20-03-08, 15:16
Astrid,
I think you're correct in finding the prison records for Konstantin in Port Arthur. I've been trying to locate the name of that prison. So far I can only find reference to several Port Arthur prisons, but it always turns up as an infamous one in Tasmania, Australia. I'll keep looking. Karen

Karen Norwillo
20-03-08, 15:41
The one name I keep coming up with is Kingston Penitentiary which was a maximum security prison at the mouth of the St Lawrence. I believe the present-day Millhaven Institution was built to replace it. One description I found was the western wall adjoined the Portsmouth Harbour.

Astrid Holmudd
20-03-08, 22:40
Karen,
Your last message seems to be interesting.

Astrid Holmudd
29-12-08, 23:27
Have been working on my family tree and had contacts with Wayne Krokbäck but he could not help re my grandpa Konstantin (b 1871-06-23 in Lappfjärd Åback, emigrated 1895). Maybe some register could have the date of his death and place? What about the Utah register? Krokbäck was the place where my grandma lived and usually the person living there took the name of the lot they owned. Would be most grateful for your help.
Astrid