PDA

View Full Version : Johannes Brofeldt/Juhani Aho

syrene
21-09-07, 00:42
One of the second most famous authors of the turn of the 19th century, after Alexis Kivi, was born Johannes Brofeldt, son of Teodor Brofeldt. at age 47 (1907) he took the name Johani Aho. He was first a journalist, began writing short stories and then his first novel in 1884.

Does anyone know if his family was in fact Swedish-speaking Finn or was the name possibly Baltic German? or was his father born speaking Finnish and changed HIS name to accomodate his theological career?
Syrene

Ingemar Ekman
21-09-07, 17:55
Hi Syrene,
I found some information in Wikipedia and HISKI, but not any real help:

Juhani Aho (urspr Johannes Brofeldt) född 11 september 1861 i Lapinlahti, Savolax, död 8 augusti 1921 i Helsingfors, var en finländsk författare.
Aho var 1889 med om att grunda Helsingin Sanomat.

In HISKI it seems that his father Th. Brofeldt moved 8 June 1858 from Nurmes to Lapinlahti,
Also according to HISKI a Theodor Brofeldt was born 14 March 1837 in Jaakima
Greetings,
Ingemar

Lasse1951
21-09-07, 18:29
One of the second most famous authors of the turn of the 19th century, after Alexis Kivi, was born Johannes Brofeldt, son of Teodor Brofeldt. at age 47 (1907) he took the name Johani Aho. He was first a journalist, began writing short stories and then his first novel in 1884.

Does anyone know if his family was in fact Swedish-speaking Finn or was the name possibly Baltic German? or was his father born speaking Finnish and changed HIS name to accomodate his theological career?
Syrene

The name seems to be Brofeldt at least 4 generations back in time, and that is all I have on Brofeldt for the moment.
Juhani Aho also belongs to The Calamnius Family ie. he is a descendant of Petrus Michaelis Arctophilacius.
I've just updated www.sursill.net with his pedigree, you can find it on the Sursill Genealogy page.

Cheers,

Lasse Holm

Lasse1951
21-09-07, 19:07

Syrene

Syrene,

Made some research and found out that the Brofeldt family orgin is from East Goothland (Götaland) in Sweden.

The first known Brofeldt in Finland was Bengt Brofeldt who was an officier in the Savolax army around 1700, he came from Sweden. He married Kaarina Tuhkanen.

This info can be found at this url:

http://www.pohjois-savonmuisti.fi/taide/kirjallisuus/juhani_aho/rovasti_theodor_brofeldt/

I'll update the sursill pages later this evening with this information.

Lasse

Gunnar Damström
13-10-07, 05:30
It may be of iterest to know that Aleksis (note spelling) Kivi was born Alexis (note spelling) Stenwall.

harrysme
13-10-07, 09:14
I found an article, which told, that Juhani Aho was from childhood bilingual. A priests family could of course speak Swedish on those days, but they lived in Eastern Finland, where common people spoke Finnish.

Harry

harrysme
24-11-07, 17:50
I happened to find an ancestry chart of Juhani Aho. His ancestors don´t really look very Finnish-speaking . A part of the chart may be more mythology

http://www.sursill.net/japed.htm

Harry

Lasse1951
24-11-07, 19:59
I happened to find an ancestry chart of Juhani Aho. His ancestors don´t really look very Finnish-speaking . A part of the chart may be more mythology

http://www.sursill.net/japed.htm

Harry

Just to make the mythology part clear, Erik Ångerman-Sursill's wife Dordi (note the questionmarks in the chart), is believed to be out of the Bure family, but there is no real proofs of this as of many other early Sursill genealogy matters. I've decided to keep the Bure line in my charts at least for some time, just to see if someone finds them and maybe can provide either some proofs about it or proofs against it. There are circumstancial things that speak for it, but then again also against it, let's see what the future brings into light.
There is also a possibility that the Forbus part contains errors or missinterpreetings, but that's the idea with my charts, to get more info coming in to be able to correct them:-)

Cheers,

Lasse Holm

harrysme
25-11-07, 16:01
Well, I thought more Tord i Byr than Dordi, when I mentioned mythology. But you never know.

Harry

syrene
01-12-07, 22:35
The information you have all shared points to Swedish as Alexis Kivi's dominant blood line. I thought it would make an interesting article in the SFHS Quarterly: "Surprising facts about one of Finland's most important authors" Many of our members comment on how difficult it is to trace their origins because of name changes. Maybe a better informative article would be "Some Name Changes You May Run Across as a Beginning Family Researcher"

Does anyone want to contribute some ideas to such an article?
Thanks again!
Syrene

Lasse1951
02-12-07, 00:27
Well, I thought more Tord i Byr than Dordi, when I mentioned mythology. But you never know.

Harry

Well Harry,

Sorry to not been able to reply earlier, one have to work in between:-)

The Bure saga is amazing, but to be honest, the last 10-12 generations can never be proven, and is to be more of an real saga. If Dordi is out of the Bure clan, witch is not proven, and probably can't never be, only the 3 to 4 generations of her ancestors is somewhat true, but the rest has to be considered as a "saga", but this should be quite clear to most of the researchers, just like all those ancestors charts that goes back to Adam and Eve.
As this knowledge doesn't seem to be clear to everyone, I will make a cut at the fourth generation after Dordi, and the same on the other proven lines into the Bure family.
The most interesting part of showing all this is to be more convinced that the later part of the so called Bure inheritance really is to taken as a "saga" (saga meaning inherited knowledge of the family).
To all viewers of my charts that doesn't understanded that my 3 X questionmarks meant unsure data this should clearify the meaning.
Last but not least, it has been a very good decision to show all those ancestors, because it have brought in a lot of information both for and against the information.
I will of course use this method again in the future to see what's the most probably truth or not,

Cheers,

Lasse Holm

Lasse1951
02-12-07, 00:55

Syrene

Syrene,

We at the Calamnius Family Organization will be publishing a new / updated website about the Calamnius family during the spring 2008. Juhani Aho is a member if our family. We don't know yet if it's a dot net or a dot org or a dot fi site but we will let you know about it on this forum

Any questions or additions to our knowledge of our family is gladly received to the emais: lasse*the-holms.org or anneli.kotisaari*pp2.inet.fi

Cheers,

Lasse Holm