PDA

View Full Version : Old photos of Swedish-Finns

Ingemar Ekman
21-09-07, 18:35
Åland Islands' Emigrant Institute got from Marianne Laiberg an old book with a lot of photos of Swedish-Finns in USA, mostly group photos.The book's title is Hälsning från Amerika. Album utgifvet af Svensk-finnar. Finska Nationaltryckeriet. 743 39th Street. Brooklyn, N.Y.
The owner's name Gustav Lajberg 1914 was stamped on the inside of the folder.

Best Regards,
Ingemar

Ingemar Ekman
13-12-07, 17:31
I was to Åland Island's Emigrant institute last weekend and took some photos of the mentioned book, about 200 pages and published prior 1914. If anyone are related to the persons below and want a picture, I will send it as jpg-file.

Temperance organization Förgät-mig-ej in Fitchburg Mass:
John Soderberg, Adolf Anderson, Oskar E. Eriksberg, Erik Holm, John Tölix.

Male choir Eko in Worcester Mass:
Fritz Härtz, Oskar Josefson, Victor Emanuelson, Edward Mangs, Charley Lind, Charley Carlson, Charley Gullström, Anton Anderson, John Johnson, Oscar Johnson, Alfred Johnson, Arthur Sjöblom, Oscar Grönlund

Swedish- Finn kulturbärarinna (cultural worker) Mrs Sanna Erikson, Oakland CA

Swedish-Finn "periodiska litteraturen i Amerika högt förtjente landsmän":
Olof Westerback, K. Henrikson, Josef Bengts, J.A. Nygård

Swedish Finn Ev. Luth parish in Gardner,
pastor C.J. Beckman and candidates for confirmation last year (before 1914)

Alfred Salin

54 members in temperance organization Hoppet and some of them were
Isak Erik Björk from Österhankom Kvevlax owner to a general store,
Andrew Swanson from Pedersöre, owner of a small sweets and soft drink shop,
Herman Erikson from Gamlakarleby and Matt Then, Vörå with licensed premises

Temperance organisation Sveaborg Seattle Wash
Wm Johnson, Henry Lillsjö, John Wicks

Erik Olof Södergran from Tjärlaks Närpes, Karl Johan Westerback from Nämpnäs Närpes (died the 12th of May 1904 in California at a age of 24 years and 2 months, Mrs Sofia Maunula, Astoria Or

Herman Hongell President in "Stjärnan af Western" San Francisco Ca

M.L Jubell supervisor in lumberyard in Albion CA from Nykarleby

Most of the photos are without names, for instance:

The Temperance organization "Österbotten" in Negaunee Michigan (30 persons)

Sjukhjälpsföreningen ( The Medical care society) Enighet in Dollar Bay Michigan (40 persons)

Best regards,
Ingemar

Karen Norwillo
13-12-07, 19:41
Ingemar,
Is the picture of the Sveaborg Temperance Lodge in Seattle a group picture? I have one shred of evidence that my great-aunt Thilda Långsjö from Esse was a member of this lodge. She died in 1912 and I cannot find any record of her time in the US except for arrival and that membership. Karen

Ingemar Ekman
15-12-07, 11:38
Hi Karen,
The photo I took of Sveaborg Temperance lodge was only with the 3 persons. I plan to be in Mariehamn again in beginning of January and will check if the book has any group photos of this lodge.
Best regards,
Ingemar

Karen Douglas
15-12-07, 14:08
Hi Ingemar,
This is so kind of you to do this! I would like to request a copy of the photo of the Sjukhjälpsföreningen ( The Medical Care Society) Enighet in Dollar Bay Michigan (40 persons). I plan to send it on to Pearl Stoor, the historian in Dollar Bay. She does not do email and I am sure she would be happy to add this to the collection. Thanks so much! Karen Douglas

Ingemar Ekman
15-12-07, 18:58
Hi Karen,
I sent you the picture and I hope you are able to forward it.
Merry Christmas,
Ingemar

bert
15-12-07, 21:22
Hej Ingemar
I would be happy to got the picture of sjukhemsföreningen in Dollar Bay.My wife have several relatives who was living and some of them was born in Dollar Bay.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Bert

Ingemar Ekman
15-12-07, 22:04
Hi Bert,
Please find the uploaded jpg-picture.
Best regards,
Ingemar

bert
15-12-07, 22:49
Hi Ingemar
Thank you for the picture
Bert

Ingemar Ekman
04-01-08, 19:54
Karen Norwillo,

your question:
Is the picture of the Sveaborg Temperance Lodge in Seattle a group picture? I have one shred of evidence that my great-aunt Thilda Långsjö from Esse was a member of this lodge. She died in 1912<

The book has also a group photo from the Sveaborg Temperance Lodge in Seattle with information: "The society started 2 June 1903 by Henry Lillsjö and within a year this lodge had more than 100 members. The photo showing about 60 members at a picnic to Ravenna park May 01, 1904.

I will upload within a few days this picture and some other new pictures I took when I visited today the Åland Island's Emigrant Institute.

Happy New Year 2008,

Ingemar

Karen Norwillo
05-01-08, 15:36
Ingemar,
Thank you so much. Thilda Andersdotter Långsjö has been one of my "brick walls" for years. How I would love to find out where she died in the states. Too bad they don't have a central US death index where I could put in the date of birth and death and find out where she died. Maybe someday. Karen

Ingemar Ekman
08-01-08, 18:36
Hi Karen,
The photo is too dark to upload.
I upload another photo from the same book, the temperance lodge in Ludington.
Best regards
Ingemar

June Pelo
09-01-08, 01:36
Ingemar,

I had lots of relatives living in Ludington. Are the people in the photo identified? I was wondering if the seated woman in the front row in the white dress was Lydia Molander. She married Andrew N&#228;se and they were my godparents.

June

Ingemar Ekman
09-01-08, 17:49
Hi June, The lodge in Ludington started already May 1899 and many of the members from beginning is still remaining. ( but I do not know which year the book is written)
The book has no information about the individuals on the photo. An extract of the text about Ludington:

Matts Borg från Gamlakarleby har varit här i 32 år. Många andra har vistats här en längre tid. De flesta arbeta i sågverk och många idkar fiske. Viktor Björk hemma från Pårasby, Kronoby socken har en framstående plats vid Steams Salt & Lumber Co och hans fru Hilda Björk född Liljeberg är en högt aktad kvinna i staden. Hon är hemma från Storby Gamlakarleby och kom hit till landet vid 3 års ålder. Hon avlade statsexamen som folksollärarinna. Anders Arvid Palm från Viitisaary by Nedervetil äger en större möbelaffär och haft den i 12 års tid.

Best regards,
Ingemar

June Pelo
09-01-08, 20:55
Thanks, Ingemar. Matts Borg was my grandmother's cousin. I've heard the name Viktor Bj&#246;rk. Hilda Liljeberg's farmor was Maria Carlsdotter Pelo. Anders Palm married my grandmother's sister.

June

Ingemar Ekman
10-01-08, 17:44
Please find a summary of the book "Hälsning från Amerika" in attached pdf-file
The list of content is the headlines and most of the pictures.
/Ingemar

Ingemar Ekman
19-01-08, 16:58
Extract from the book “Hälsning from Amerika” page 16 to 20, signed Brooklyn N Y Oct 1904 K.E. Lindström.

The Finnish Seamen´s mission church started summer 1887 in New York. first they rented places to have the service at. Year 1896 the church moved to 53 Beaver St. The first pastor from 1887 was Emil Panelius, then Juho Korhonen, from 1893 Väinö Kuno Durchman and 1897 Albin Hukkanen followed by Alfred Gröning.
/ Ingemar

bert
19-01-08, 17:04
Hi Ingmar
Please ,Can you send me a copy of the pictures of syskonringen Dollar Bay ?

Ingemar Ekman
20-01-08, 14:40
Hi Bert,
The book has two different pictures of ”Syskonringen” in Dollar Bay,One very similar as the photo of “Enigheten” with same building in background and many of the persons are the same. The 3 pages with text about Dollar Bay mention following persons Matt Sved Pörtom, John Lundman Mustasaari, Charley Anderson Närpes, Jonas Mattson Malaks, John and Ed Nye Mustasaari, August Boatman Malaks, Five pastors: A.A Dahlström, J.G Nikander, Johan Bäck, A. Lindblom and Olander.
/ Ingemar

Karen Douglas
20-01-08, 21:17
Hi Ingemar. Thank you so much for posting these photos! It means more than you know! Two questions: What does "Syskonringen" mean? Secondly, do I remember correctly that this book was published prior to 1909? I have not printed these photos yet, but have studied the faces of the people, hoping that I might find my grandparents and my father. They left Dollar Bay in 1910-11. That's why I'm wondering about the year. I heard my father mention the Sveds and the Nyes many times. And, Rev. Nikander was the minister who married my grandparents! Karen :)

bert
20-01-08, 21:29
Hi Karen
Syskonringen will maybe be something like Siblings ring.It´s was a temperance organization with the name Syskonringen.There was two Matt Sved in Michigan .One was married Ida Newman (Nyman in Finland).Ida Nyman is my wife´s grandmothers sister.Greetings from Kållby

Ingemar Ekman
21-01-08, 18:21
Hi Karen and Bert,
The book has no information regarding the publish year. 3 "chapters" in the book are dated 18 Oct - 24 Oct 1904. Many "chapters" were written by John Udell but no date. "Chapters" refer to my "list of content" with bold text. See the message dtd 10 Jan.
The owner of the book had handwritten the year 1914 in the book. I believe the book was published around 1910 or 1909 because of information in the text.
The book stated that Matt Sved was from Pörtom and then some lines later that he was from Malaks but now I understand the reason.
/Ingemar

Ingemar Ekman
23-01-08, 17:48
Karen N,
Please find the enclosed photo. I hope you will find more information about Thilda Andersdotter Långsjö.
Ingemar

erick311
13-08-10, 20:24
INGEMAR EXMAN
My Grandfather Oskar E. Eriksberg came from Mustasaari, Finland. I would appreciate a copy of "Temperance Org., Fitchburg, MA" photo if posible.
Alvah O. Ericksberg

Ingemar Ekman
18-08-10, 00:05
Hi Alvah,
Please find the photo of "Temperance organization Förgät-mig-ej in Fitchburg Mass: John Soderberg, Adolf Anderson, Oskar E. Eriksberg, Erik Holm, John Tölix"
Best regards,
Ingemar

Karen Norwillo
18-08-10, 00:46
Ingmar,
Just wanted you to know I finally did find my great-aunt Thilda. It took me almost 10 years to break through that "brick wall."
Karen

budjohnson
19-08-10, 01:23
Ingemar

Could you please include the photo's from Gladstone and Metropolitan or send me a PM.

Thank you

Bud

Ingemar Ekman
19-08-10, 08:00
Hi Bud, The book has 2 photos from Gladstone (Nykterhetsfören. "Söner af Vasa" and Sjukhjälpsforen "Bothnia") and 3 photos from Metropolitan (Nykterhetsfören "Liljan på Fjället" "Söndagsskola"and "Sv-Fin ev.luth kyrkan jämte medlemmar")
Unfortunately I have not taken pictures of all the photos in the book and I do not find any photos from Gladstone and Metropolitan in my file. My message dtd 13-12-07 17:31 listing most of the photos I have available as jpg-files.
Some photos in the book were dark or I did not get enough quality when I took the photos 2007 (but I have a better camera now)
Best regards,
Ingemar

erick311
21-08-10, 17:13
Hi Alvah,
Please find the photo of "Temperance organization Förgät-mig-ej in Fitchburg Mass: John Soderberg, Adolf Anderson, Oskar E. Eriksberg, Erik Holm, John Tölix"
Best regards,
Ingemar

Hi Ingemar,
Thanks for the photo that has my Grandfathers picture. This is great because the only other photos I have of him are from later in his life. Happy to be a new member of the Finlanders.
Alvah

CateG
25-08-10, 08:53
I have an Ida Newman in my research..what is your wife's grandmother's name?

C

Hi Karen
Syskonringen will maybe be something like Siblings ring.It´s was a temperance organization with the name Syskonringen.There was two Matt Sved in Michigan .One was married Ida Newman (Nyman in Finland).Ida Nyman is my wife´s grandmothers sister.Greetings from Kållby

erick311
26-08-10, 19:42
Hi Ingemar,
Thanks for the photo that has my Grandfathers picture. This is great because the only other photos I have of him are from later in his life. Happy to be a new member of the Finlanders.
Alvah

Hi Ingemar,
Thanks again for the photo of my Swedish Grandfather from Mustasaari. I am curious as to how Swedish communities came about in Finland. If you have any information/theory on this I would appriciate it. I am attaching information I received from Mustasaari several years ago. Iwas able to get most of it translated.
Best regards,
Alvah

erick311
26-08-10, 19:56
Hi Ingemar,
Thanks again for the photo of my Swedish Grandfather from Mustasaari. I am curious as to how Swedish communities came about in Finland. If you have any information/theory on this I would appriciate it. I am attaching information I received from Mustasaari several years ago. Iwas able to get most of it translated.
Best regards,
Alvah

Hi Ingemar.
Had a problem with the attachment. Don't think it worked.
Alvah

June Pelo
26-08-10, 21:41
Alvah,

There are a number of interesting articles about the Swedish settlements in Finland:

http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/indexe.htm Click on articles by Pär-Erik Levlin, particularly the last two which discuss this subject.

I'll also attach a couple of articles that may be of interest.

June Pelo
26-08-10, 21:44
I could attach only one article, so here is the other one.

Ingemar Ekman
31-08-10, 07:42
Ingemar
Could you please include the photo's from Gladstone and Metropolitan or send me a PM. Thank you Bud
Hi Bud, I was to Åland with visitors from USA last week and took two photos from the book of not identified persons in Metropolitan, Michigan = Sunday school with about 55 persons including 40 children outside a building and Temperance society "Liljan på fjället" with 36 persons outside a building. The size of the jpg-file is about 4MB each and if you want them, please send me a PM with your email address. Best regards, Ingemar

Ingemar Ekman
02-10-10, 09:04
Hi Bud, I have now taken the remaining pictures from Gladstone and Metropolitan and will send them direct to you. Here I attaching only a reduced picture of "Söner af Vasa" Gladstone Michigan.
Best regards, Ingemar

budjohnson
02-10-10, 15:42
Ingemar
Thanks so much Ingemar
I am forwarding the Gladstone picture to the Delta county historical society. I have sent them a picture taken in Escanaba previously(Taken in 1907).
Bud